*** Official Dota 2 Thread ***

Associate
What does everyone think about Ember Spirit?

I found him very flashy and pretty but found his attacks to have no real substance to them, especially his ultimate. Perhaps I was missing a few points with him, I'm certainly no expert, but found him distinctly average.

He is a fairly farm & level dependent hero, so he needs to be played mid or carry. His attacks depends on your item choices. His ulti is good chasing/running for your life or initiation ability but uses a large chunk of his mana pool early on. There are probably some interesting combos that people will thinking of with his ulti, like Chen send back to heal and then instantly ulti back into the team fight.

Soldato
I played a horrible game as Earthshaker recently, you have to be careful when you throw the stun because it can potentially block your team from getting the hits and actually allow the enemy to get away :S

Rubik would be a great support to learn but you need knowledge of every hero in the game, what their spells do and who's ultimate you should be trying to steal. Otherwise you will spend most of the game reading the tool tip of the spell you have just stolen ;D

Support heroes I enjoy the most are, Disruptor, CM, Shadow Shaman (dem wards) and support Venomancer

Associate
I am about to start playing this again after a year or so off it. Abit sick of LoL atm and thought this could be a good change. Who would be the best Heroes to start off, I am thinking about a different role support mayby?

Take a look here for a list on easy to grasp heroes. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=123364976#18998
I'd personally recommend Venomancer since he's quite powerful early game now after the last patch, Windrunner, Sven, Tidehunter and perhaps Lich who can get XP easily.

Rubick requires good positioning and a lot more game knowledge so wouldn't start with him.

so are there set roles and that you need to do like in LOL....i never got how the other shop worked or even the jungle haha

You could stick any hero in any lane if you wanted to, but some are more suited to a certain lane than others. Also check out the above guide, I'm sure it'll answer many of your questions! :)

Soldato
Is matchmaking broken after latest patch? I am at ~650 wins and I am being paired up with people who just started playing dota, one of them was on his overall 3rd game. Just checked my last game, my team 4/5 were below 100 wins wheras enemy team was 4/5 was 400+ wins :o

Associate
Is matchmaking broken after latest patch? I am at ~650 wins and I am being paired up with people who just started playing dota, one of them was on his overall 3rd game. Just checked my last game, my team 4/5 were below 100 wins wheras enemy team was 4/5 was 400+ wins :o

So, apparently the matchmaking system 'hasn't been revealed'.

But if we're going on a particular tear, the matchmaking 'just so happens' to give us a pair of newbies, and put us up against some 2000+ hour players... You know, just to level us out.

Everyone's W/L is supposed to be at 50%.

Associate
So, apparently the matchmaking system 'hasn't been revealed'.

But if we're going on a particular tear, the matchmaking 'just so happens' to give us a pair of newbies, and put us up against some 2000+ hour players... You know, just to level us out.

Everyone's W/L is supposed to be at 50%.

To the best of my experience this is how it works, like what seems to be a lot of people on this thread I've been able to slowly work my W/L to where it now sits with me having ~20 more wins than losses. And then no matter what I do I can't move it beyond that, I'll get a couple of decent games and I might win but to balance this out it will pair me with some complete retards to maintain this balanced W/L. It's put me off the game completely, I haven't played for months and won't return until they completely revamp, the SC2/LoL system or a proper ELO system with numbers that are transparent is all I'll be happy with now.

Soldato
I got up to +30 wins, then I kid you not I was put in with at least 3 idiots, for 10 games in a row.

I lost 10 in a row and then I was back to the standard, win 1 lose 2, win 2 lose 1, type of situation.

I can't stand this matchmaking sometimes, I don't mind losing it's part of the game, but I can't stand basically having lost before the game begins because you have been put on a gimped team. Some of the most exciting games I have had have ended in a loss. But it has been a close fought battle that could go either way. Steamrolling a game is not a gg, it's boring.

I mean Dendi is a pro player and when I see him stream solo it happens to him sometimes, clearly matchmaking thinks he can carry an entire team of idiots, but it's just not possible.

Last edited:
Soldato
Mhmm so no bug then. I too constantly got into matchmaking 50% thingy at +20 wins ceiling but broke it and got into +41 but as soon as I got that I got 8 losses in a row and 7 out of those 8 games were 0 to 50 type of score. But this last losing streak was so uncharacteristically bad I thought it must be mm bug as I never before was paired up with people on their overall 3rd game. Oh well doto eh

Associate
The other day, played with one friend - we're both at just over 150 hours.
The other three had around 60 hours each.

Opposite team? All 1000+ hours.

Tell me that game wasn't lost before it started!

I think games should always be fair, but these enforced losses do get to me.

Soldato
Had my first game as Morphling last night, good character quite enjoyed him.

Also had a game as Razor, I don't quite good but the opposition had a well farmed Clinkz, blinking hell he can be powerful with a good farm!

Soldato
Had my first game as Morphling last night, good character quite enjoyed him.

Also had a game as Razor, I don't quite good but the opposition had a well farmed Clinkz, blinking hell he can be powerful with a good farm!

Your certainly taking on some tough heroes for someone new to the game. I've steered far away from heroes such as chen and morph after some infamous in house games that resulted in berating someone for being terrible at the hero on their first attempt.

Back
Top Bottom