Official Home Gym Building Thread

Soldato
FYI Mirafit seem to have a bunch of their racks back in stock... if I was a bit further along with my garage I'd be tempted to grab an M3 rack but sadly I'm not quite there yet

Soldato
They all come in flat pack boxes so if you have room, you could just store it for now.

I don't think I do unfortunately - my wife won't want something like that sat around the house (we just had a baby the week before last :s) and that only leaves the garage itself, and it's pretty tight in there at the moment to make space for painting the walls...

My Dad is stopping by next week to help rewire the lighting so I'll have 2 twin-strip LED lights instead of the single crappy bulb in there now, should be nice and bright, and that will give me the light I need to finish off the painting. I'm almost out of my initial big tub of trade emulsion having painted halfway (not actually halfway because of the garage door, but length wise I'm at the halfway point) so I think when I go to buy another tub I may pick up a big masonry roller and see if that makes the remainder of the painting any less terrible. It's frustrating me now as pretty much as soon as the painting is done I can order my mats and as soon as those are fitted the real fun can begin (and importantly, I can actually start training in there!)

Associate
Uprights 60x60mm
Floor to highest crossmember (no pulley): 2080mm
Floor to highest crossmember (with pulley): 2150mm

Let me know if you need any other measurements :)
Many thanks!
By my estimate I'd need a 48mm spacer/packer for the top cross-member.
The only other important measurements would be the space between hole centres for the lat system attachment bolts on the top and bottom cross-members. Looking at photos online I'm pretty sure the M2's are wider spaced, but not sure if wide enough that new holes for the CF475 could be drilled between them without fouling the current holes.
Thanks again.

Associate
Recently tore down the rear garage and made it into an outhouse. Set me back around £21k but it's a really nice useable space now. Made it into 2 rooms so the smaller room is filled with bits and bobs. Installed a rogue fitness half rack yesterday with a bull dog bar, a fairtex heavy bag and aqua bag. Only thing now is to get some plates at a reasonable price. Pics soon

Added on the rings a few days ago. Set up is coming along nicely but I only have 90kg of weights and no 20/25kg plates. Just need to wait until they come down to a reasonable price.

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
As it doesn’t look like I’ll be going back to a gym anytime soon been thinking about getting a few bits of kit for home.

I don’t do much there, started a couple of years ago to just add a little bit of size to my noodle arms and chest, got to a point I was happy with but that’s pretty much disappeared over the last year or so for various reasons.

Absolutely no idea what to get other than replicating what I used at the gym which was largely machine based rather than free weights, mostly seated chest press, lat pull down, seated low row, those sorts of things.

Can anyone recommend either any specific equipment to take a look at, or places to browse?

I’ve got a reasonable space in a double garage that can be used, and having had a bit of a nose about I can guess at the sort of costs these things are.

Sorry that all sounds a bit naff, I’m by no means a die hard gym goer but feeling a bit crappy and need to do something about it (combo of COVID plus new baby!).

Thanks!

Last edited:
Soldato
I would say:

A bench and some sort of rack (a full rack or squat rack/half rack) plus a barbell and weights, a set of dumbells, plus a cable based pulldown station will cover at least 90% of most people's needs with regard to strength/bodybuilding type training

Don't forget you can do quite a lot without any equipment at all as well, particularly if you want to get started right away. I failed to sort my home gym out before lockdown so only had a basic ez bar for curls and some dumbells but have just about managed by combining those with bodyweight exercises until I get my garage sorted out

Man of Honour
As it doesn’t look like I’ll be going back to a gym anytime soon been thinking about getting a few bits of kit for home.

I don’t do much there, started a couple of years ago to just add a little bit of size to my noodle arms and chest, got to a point I was happy with but that’s pretty much disappeared over the last year or so for various reasons.

Absolutely no idea what to get other than replicating what I used at the gym which was largely machine based rather than free weights, mostly seated chest press, lat pull down, seated low row, those sorts of things.

Can anyone recommend either any specific equipment to take a look at, or places to browse?

I’ve got a reasonable space in a double garage that can be used, and having had a bit of a nose about I can guess at the sort of costs these things are.

Sorry that all sounds a bit naff, I’m by no means a die hard gym goer but feeling a bit crappy and need to do something about it (combo of COVID plus new baby!).

Thanks!

Get a rack or half rack depending on space, bench, a barbell and plates and crack on with a programme like stronglifts 5x5

Everything you need nothing you don't. Get a rack that allows pull ups and dips. If you want get dumbells or selectabells but you will do well for a good while just with barbell.

Don't bugger about trying to replicate machines. Free weights are better and more versatile and will not be outgrown (just buy more plates!)

Man of Honour
Get a rack or half rack depending on space, bench, a barbell and plates and crack on with a programme like stronglifts 5x5

Everything you need nothing you don't. Get a rack that allows pull ups and dips. If you want get dumbells or selectabells but you will do well for a good while just with barbell.

Don't bugger about trying to replicate machines. Free weights are better and more versatile and will not be outgrown (just buy more plates!)

Plus a landmine :)

Back
Top Bottom