Official Home Gym Building Thread

Man of Honour
That's my second choice... the things I dislike about it are:
* The faff of having to load it with plates versus a weight stack
* The fact that there are only 2 positions for the cable (low and high)

But given the extreme price difference perhaps I will change my mind in the end!
Loading with plates makes it much more versatile as you can micro load, but also when you outgrow the stack you can add some proper weights to it too.

I would personally always choose a plate loading system vs a fixed weight one.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Loading with plates makes it much more versatile as you can micro load, but also when you outgrow the stack you can add some proper weights to it too.

I would personally always choose a plate loading system vs a fixed weight one.

Agreed. The weights on a stack can’t be used on a barbell meaning you essentially pay a lot of money for some very restrictive weight.

Man of Honour
I'm considering making my own. There are some yoiutube videos of home made pulleys that look pretty good. The TV I put on the wall in my gym fell off and ripped my bench so DIY wise this could be a stretch.

Soldato
Hey all,

I've currently got a gym setup in the spare room, basically a rack, bench and a heavy bag.
The room's a bit tight, a couple bumps to the wall mean's it's always in the back of my head and throws off heavy squats.
I was thinking of getting a 6ft bar, give me more room, but recently swaying to the idea of building a shed to workout in...
People who've done this before, could you give a ball park for costs?
Wouldn't be able to run power to it, just thinking a sheltered indoor space

Man of Honour
Hey all,

I've currently got a gym setup in the spare room, basically a rack, bench and a heavy bag.
The room's a bit tight, a couple bumps to the wall mean's it's always in the back of my head and throws off heavy squats.
I was thinking of getting a 6ft bar, give me more room, but recently swaying to the idea of building a shed to workout in...
People who've done this before, could you give a ball park for costs?
Wouldn't be able to run power to it, just thinking a sheltered indoor space

You can get some great rechargeable lights that partly solve the electricity problem.

Associate
Does anyone have any experience with these benches?

Body-Solid Flat/Incline/Decline Utility Bench (RED):
https://www.fitness-superstore.co.uk/body-solid-flat-incline-decline-bench-red.html

Bodymax CF430+:
https://www.powerhouse-fitness.co.uk/bodymax-cf430-deluxe-utility-bench-2019-model

I am having a very hard time deciding between them. I am planning to use them with my power rack, both come with leg extensions too. I can't really afford anything much more expensive than those.

Any help appreciated!

Associate
I have Bodymax CF430+

It's been great. No issues. Does what is says and robust. Couple of years in.

Hey. Is the backrest comfortable? Comparing those two benches in my last post, the Body-solid one looks very thick/durable.
Do you also have the leg extension, and how do you find it if so?

Cheers mate

Man of Honour
It is comfortable but I agree the other one looks thicker. There is no wear on mine and it is used a lot, albeit only by me. I did tear the leather(ette I guess) but that was when an old school 32 inch heavy TV fell off the wall onto it (DIY is not my strong suit). Certainly in normal use there is no wear on it. I do have the leg extension but haven't used that much. It certainly feels solid and doesn't move.

While I can't knock the one I have the reviews look great on the other one too.

Last edited:
Associate
Thanks mate! Very helpful. I think I'll go with the Body Solid one after doing more research, for the build quality more than anything. I say either bench would be great though.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Spent today taking everything out of the log cabin and putting down some carpet tiles. Decided to re-arrange my equipment as well, it's snug but it does everything I need.

DSCF8991.jpg

DSCF8992.jpg

DSCF8993.jpg

DSCF8994.jpg

Associate
Where are people getting equipment these days?
Strength shop is slowly starting to get stock back but not entirely sure of other sites worth checking...

Back
Top Bottom