Official Home Gym Building Thread

Associate
Where are people getting equipment these days?
Strength shop is slowly starting to get stock back but not entirely sure of other sites worth checking...
Depends what you're looking for too. I snagged some pro-style dumbbells from Fitness Superstore just stumbling over them by chance. I wouldn't have been checking their site usually as I'm after some specific things that they don't (seem to) carry.
They don't have back in stock notifications but knowing they had more due I kept checking and grabbed another couple of light pairs last week.
I'm only really looking for iron plates now so options are limited as very few UK stores carry old school style iron.

Origin - best price for rubber hex dumbbells but stock comes in randomly. I had good luck emailing and they had stock in the warehouse not shown on the site.
Mirafit - good experiences with all my orders from them. Seem to be getting restocks relatively frequently
May be worth giving Fitness Equipment Northern Ireland a call to see if they have ETAs on stock. At the start of lockdown they were still receiving shipments of plates and bars and shipping to rUK isn't too bad if orders are split to under 50kg.

Man of Honour
Fitness superstore seem to have a lot of gear available.

I really want some thin competition plates, but they're just so expensive, so I'm keeping to bumper plates. I've just about got 260kg of plates at the moment which should keep me going for now - I was wondering whether to get a second barbell so I can do some supersets etc...

I really want a set of dumbbells but they seem insanely expensive at the moment.

Soldato
If you’re in the SE London/NW Kent area, my gym is selling a load of barbells on the cheap as they replaced nearly all of them with Texas bars. There’s a lot of crap no-name bars but there’s also a bunch of Jordan Olympic ones (have bearings, spin, rated to 1500lbs) and a Jordan bar that’s a little thicker and probably better if you want something closer to powerlifting spec equipment.

Associate
If you’re in the SE London/NW Kent area, my gym is selling a load of barbells on the cheap as they replaced nearly all of them with Texas bars. There’s a lot of crap no-name bars but there’s also a bunch of Jordan Olympic ones (have bearings, spin, rated to 1500lbs) and a Jordan bar that’s a little thicker and probably better if you want something closer to powerlifting spec equipment.

Interesting - I'd be after a decent barbell for Deads. Where are they advertising (I couldn't see on their website).
I guess it would be an 60-90mins in the car, so not too bad.

Soldato
Still pondering what to go for for lat pulldown/cable type solution in the garage... but happened upon this on the rainforest (can't link but do a search for "Fit4Home TF-1007" on there and you'll see it). A bit pricey (seems like the price is gouged for COVID going by the reviews) but looking at the customer image it seems like it fits across a typical UK garage widthways and considering all the utility of a dual cable station like this may actually be quite good in terms of space... any thoughts?

Edit: maybe allowed to link the image? Apologies mods if not
81zTYBjdgML._AC_SL1500_.jpg

75kg stacks on each side, which would be plenty for single armed stuff... pullup bar in the middle seems naff if you have one separately (could always chop it off!)... annoying that the lower pulleys don't pivot but yeah I don't know. Is it cheap and nasty? It's hard to say

Last edited:
Soldato
has anyone had any experience with "Body Power" bars, they seem to be fitness superstores own brand but ive just ordered the prestige Olympic bar as the specs meet exactly what im after and reviews all seem very positive.

https://www.fitness-superstore.co.uk/body-power-prestige-olympic-bar.html

hopefully its not a dud but its to replace my quite low budget bar that has been great but with a 31mm grip diameter it may become my standard squat bar depending on how this one feels on my back.

Soldato
Fitness superstore seem to have a lot of gear available.

I really want some thin competition plates, but they're just so expensive, so I'm keeping to bumper plates. I've just about got 260kg of plates at the moment which should keep me going for now - I was wondering whether to get a second barbell so I can do some supersets etc...

I really want a set of dumbbells but they seem insanely expensive at the moment.

don't know if its a recent update but fitness superstore have some dumbbells in now too, I've ordered some of the bowflex adjustable ones, I know they're expensive but for what I need its much easier than getting a lot of dumbbells that I don't have the room for, I plan to get 25KG+ in rubber weights but I don't think ill need them for a while yet.

Soldato
don't know if its a recent update but fitness superstore have some dumbbells in now too, I've ordered some of the bowflex adjustable ones, I know they're expensive but for what I need its much easier than getting a lot of dumbbells that I don't have the room for, I plan to get 25KG+ in rubber weights but I don't think ill need them for a while yet.

Ooo let me know how you get on with the Bowflex ones I was looking at those earlier...

Speaking of fitness superstore I'm actually strongly considering getting this:
https://www.fitness-superstore.co.uk/powerline-cable-cross-over-machine-1.html

Rather than a single Lat station... seems like it'll be a really good use of space in my small garage gym - going to put it directly opposite my rack. The only minor wrinkle is that it's 280cm wide but the space I have is closer to 250cm so looking on the instructions my plan is to replace the crossbar with a piece of wood that I can make just slightly shorter. (could cut the crossbar instead but I'd rather keep it untampered with in case of returns or warranty or resale). I think I will also try to see if I can get some brackets to fit over the feet and bolt it down as a few reviews I found mentioned it tipping forwards

Soldato
Ooo let me know how you get on with the Bowflex ones I was looking at those earlier...

Speaking of fitness superstore I'm actually strongly considering getting this:
https://www.fitness-superstore.co.uk/powerline-cable-cross-over-machine-1.html

Rather than a single Lat station... seems like it'll be a really good use of space in my small garage gym - going to put it directly opposite my rack. The only minor wrinkle is that it's 280cm wide but the space I have is closer to 250cm so looking on the instructions my plan is to replace the crossbar with a piece of wood that I can make just slightly shorter. (could cut the crossbar instead but I'd rather keep it untampered with in case of returns or warranty or resale). I think I will also try to see if I can get some brackets to fit over the feet and bolt it down as a few reviews I found mentioned it tipping forwards

I cant offer any opinion for the Lat station but ill be sure to let you know how the Bowflex are.

Associate
has anyone had any experience with "Body Power" bars, they seem to be fitness superstores own brand but ive just ordered the prestige Olympic bar as the specs meet exactly what im after and reviews all seem very positive.

https://www.fitness-superstore.co.uk/body-power-prestige-olympic-bar.html

hopefully its not a dud but its to replace my quite low budget bar that has been great but with a 31mm grip diameter it may become my standard squat bar depending on how this one feels on my back.

I have that bar in my garage gym - I like it and don't have any complaints - my only issue is, and nothing negative about the bar, is that a 7ft bar is a bit too long for my gym - so when using in my rack for squats or bench, was a tight squeeze.

Ended up getting a 6ft bar that still fits in the rack, but keep the 7ft for deadlifts, shrugs etc.

Soldato
I have that bar in my garage gym - I like it and don't have any complaints - my only issue is, and nothing negative about the bar, is that a 7ft bar is a bit too long for my gym - so when using in my rack for squats or bench, was a tight squeeze.

Ended up getting a 6ft bar that still fits in the rack, but keep the 7ft for deadlifts, shrugs etc.

Excellent, glad to know its a decent bar, I'm quite restricted with room too but recent had a sort out to maximise what room I have. I've also just had a look back at your posts and realised I totally stole your idea for a peg board too when I saw it not long after you originally posted it :) so thanks for that.

Associate
FYI Mirafit seem to have a bunch of their racks back in stock... if I was a bit further along with my garage I'd be tempted to grab an M3 rack but sadly I'm not quite there yet
When you get round to it, M3 is the rack to get. Great quality, with west side spacing and lots of attachments. A very hard rack to beat for the money.

Last edited:
Soldato
When you get round to it, M3 is the rack to get. Great quality, with west side spacing and lots of attachments. A very hard rack to beat for the money.

Cheers - that is the one I'm leaning towards still assuming I decide to get a full rack. I may almost be at the point with the painting etc. that I could put my email down in their "notify me". Going to be ordering my rubber mats from Arkmat today and once they arrive and I put them down I'm basically ready to start buying equipment. Currently thinking...

M3 Rack against left wall
Decent FID bench (Bulldog 2.0 maybe)
Powerline dual cable crossover directly opposite Rack on right wall
Life Fitness IC4 spin bike (it's the cheapest one they do that has magnetic resistance instead of friction)

Can anyone who has rubber mats on the floor comment about bolting equipment down? Feel like I can probably bolt through the mats instead of messing around trying to cut out holes for equipment feet... but I suppose that means I ought to hold off on fitting my mats until I have all my equipment? (Anticipating when drilling holes in the concrete for bolts I probably don't want to do it through the mats, as that might risk creating lumps of concrete dust under the mats around the holes). So I probably would carefully measure up, drill holes in the uncovered concrete, test fit, sweep up all dust etc. then lay the mats, re-measure to position the equipment and then bolt down through them... Or am I overthinking it? If you fit the mats tightly as recommended are they hard to get back up again?

Soldato
The M3 rack is quite shallow - 60cm I think, Mirafit recommend bolting it down - I guess when re-racking a bar at shoulder height from squatting or whatnot you might end up tipping it over! I suppose if I buy some plate storage pins for the rack and put them near the bottom it might help make it more stable, but with only 60cm depth I could see them getting in the way of certain movements.

And the cable crossover I've seen a few reviewers mention that when you use it for e.g. flyes and step forward from the machine a bit then it can have a tendency to lean/fall forwards. Again I guess I could weight it down with some spare plates but I don't have tons and tons of excess plates for this kind of thing. The added problem with that one is that it doesn't look like it is designed with holes for bolting down, so I'll have to come up with something (you can certainly get some bolt down security brackets that I think look like they would fit over the bottom of the frame easy enough)

So I figured I'd just bolt them down and be done with it - I've got all the kit I need to do so in terms of drilling for the bolts and whatnot so other than buying bolts it's just the issue of how best to do it

Last edited:
Associate
Does anyone have advice on an elliptical/cross trainer for around 1k? I was looking at the NordicTrack SpaceSaver SE7i for £899 - but reviews sound like it might not be the most stable/quiet over time. Is there any value in going for a better make on ebay? Those typically look like they've had 5+ years in a gym with some rust... but I guess they are better made?

Main requirements are a really stable frame for tall person that isn't super squeaky.

Associate
Does anyone have advice on an elliptical/cross trainer for around 1k? I was looking at the NordicTrack SpaceSaver SE7i for £899 - but reviews sound like it might not be the most stable/quiet over time. Is there any value in going for a better make on ebay? Those typically look like they've had 5+ years in a gym with some rust... but I guess they are better made?

Main requirements are a really stable frame for tall person that isn't super squeaky.

We have the NordicTrack E11.5 https://www.amazon.co.uk/NordicTrac...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B00ATQ8FRA which is an older model and the SE7i seems to be the closest to a replacement model for it.

Happy with it - had it for several years now, and it does develop the odd squeak now and then, but I generally tighten all the bolts and spray some WD40 every 6 months and its fine - you mention being tall, so need to consider how much ceiling height you have at the top of the stride.

But in short, can't comment on the model you are looking at but happy with our NordicTrack one.

Back
Top Bottom