Official Home Gym Building Thread

Soldato
Does anyone have advice on an elliptical/cross trainer for around 1k? I was looking at the NordicTrack SpaceSaver SE7i for £899 - but reviews sound like it might not be the most stable/quiet over time. Is there any value in going for a better make on ebay? Those typically look like they've had 5+ years in a gym with some rust... but I guess they are better made?

Main requirements are a really stable frame for tall person that isn't super squeaky.

Maybe a Concept2 Ski-erg? https://www.concept2.co.uk/skierg/concept2-skierg

Associate
I purchased the Mirafit M1 and the cable pulley attachment system, but really wish I had just waited for the M2 half rack instead. With the pulley system attached, there's not enough room to do bench inside the rack and squat are cramped as well. Luckily I have another set of stands I can use for bench, but just a bit annoying that I have to keep getting stuff out and putting them away.

Think I'll probably try to sell it on and wait for a half rack to come up that I can bench/squat in instead.

Associate
Was about to buy the half rack yesterday after seeing it available the day before, already sold out :(

Yeah missed out on that as well

Was signed up for the stock notification too :rolleyes:

Anyone know how often Mirafit restock normally ?

**UPDATE**

heard back from Mirafit

"It is impossible for me to give you an ETA to the stock of M2 Racks since we do not have any on order at present"

Last edited:

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Soldato
You could pull the bench forward a bit and use the catchers as the hooks to rack/unrack. It does mean pressing without catchers, but unless you are being an idiot it's fine without catchers.

I probably don't need the catchers tbh, it's been years since I did any real pressing exercise and doubt i'll be pushing significant weight for some time.

Additionally years ago I used to bench without catchers all the time, I just never put on the springs so if the worse happened, I could tip the bar and the plates would slide off.

The other benefit of benching without springs, it would instill some minor discipline for even pushes and no tilt on the bar :)

Associate
Yeah missed out on that as well

Was signed up for the stock notification too :rolleyes:

Anyone know how often Mirafit restock normally ?

**UPDATE**

heard back from Mirafit

"It is impossible for me to give you an ETA to the stock of M2 Racks since we do not have any on order at present"

They mentioned on instagram that they have a new version of the M2 comming out, i was after the cable and weight storage addon for the M2 but all out of stock

Associate
I purchased the Mirafit M1 and the cable pulley attachment system, but really wish I had just waited for the M2 half rack instead. With the pulley system attached, there's not enough room to do bench inside the rack and squat are cramped as well. Luckily I have another set of stands I can use for bench, but just a bit annoying that I have to keep getting stuff out and putting them away.

Think I'll probably try to sell it on and wait for a half rack to come up that I can bench/squat in instead.

To be fair they do mention that in the product description "Important: for bench press exercises it may be necessary for the bench to straddle the rear floor bar of the cage. This will not be possible if you position the cage hard against a wall or add the cable system upgrade."

Associate
They mentioned on instagram that they have a new version of the M2 comming out, i was after the cable and weight storage addon for the M2 but all out of stock

cheers for the info, I missed that

hmmm.....do I wait ( probably until 2021 ) or look at other options for a 1/2 rack setup in stock whilst trying to avoid some of the retail gouging going on

Associate
100% - you won't get better. bomb proof - easy to replace ropes/grips etc. Think our gym has 20 of them now.

Are these ski machines a better bet than a cross trainer? Currently I only have a stationary bike and honestly I find it pretty boring to commit the time to and find Xtrainers much more tolerable for cardio. Having never used one of these, would they be the better choice for home cardio?

Associate
Been scouting out 1/2 racks as Mira is out of stock for the foreseeable future

Anyone used the EX-SR-400 from Extreme Fitness ?

https://www.extremefitness.co.uk/extreme-fitness-ex-sr-400-folding-squat-rack-red

black_rack_01.jpg

Just a pity its only 190cm high

Last edited:
Soldato
Been scouting out 1/2 racks as Mira is out of stock for the foreseeable future

Anyone used the EX-SR-400 from Extreme Fitness ?

https://www.extremefitness.co.uk/extreme-fitness-ex-sr-400-folding-squat-rack-red

Just a pity its only 190cm high

looks like yoke with some spotter arms, Get a yoke and then you can run around with it aswell, plus its 2.3m tall :)

https://mirafit.co.uk/mirafit-m3-strongman-yoke.html
https://mirafit.co.uk/mirafit-m3-safety-spotters.html
https://mirafit.co.uk/mirafit-m3-standard-j-cups.html

Associate
To be fair they do mention that in the product description "Important: for bench press exercises it may be necessary for the bench to straddle the rear floor bar of the cage. This will not be possible if you position the cage hard against a wall or add the cable system upgrade."

Yup, something I should have paid more attention to. I just thought it might be difficult rather than outright impossible.

I've sold it on now and have a bulldog mammoth lite piece of kit turning up tomorrow instead!

Soldato
Ooo think I just scored a reasonable deal on Facebook Marketplace...

Mirafit Semi Commercial FID bench,
Mirafit Olympic EZ Bar,
Mirafit Olympic Dumbells,
2 pairs of Olympic Collars,
York Lat Attachment for bench (fits the Mirafit one apparently),
Tricep Rope + Lat Pulldown bar,
4x 5kg rubber Olympic hex plates
8x 2.5kg rubber Olympic hex plates
And a rowing machine thrown in for free...

All the Mirafit stuff is only 3 weeks old... £450... Pretty happy with that

Soldato
My flooring mats turned up yesterday as well, it's all coming together at last - need to think about how best to lay them but I'm sure it can't be too complicated. The hardest part will probably be that I have to shuffle all the stuff in the garage around to expose the floor

Back
Top Bottom