*** Official Hyperoptic Discussion Thread ***

Associate
Plug your Asus router straight in, not sure why you're going through their one first. Do a firmware update and factory default it, and make sure UPnP is on.

Thanks for the reply. I have a new build flat with the ZTE router pre-installed next to internal Ethernet ports for the lounge and bedroom, its a nice and clean setup but willing to drop it if I can get this working.

Having followed your advice with the Asus router, I am still unable to play any online matches when the PS4 is behind any router (I tried an old TP-Link I had lying around). I am at a bit of a loss now as I fell like I have tried everything. I really can't be swapping the cables around every time I want to play online like this, as it kills the rest of my NAS/Plex setup.

EDIT: Typos

Last edited:
Soldato
My Ps4 is behind my Netgear router, but *not* the hyperoptic one. I don't use that anymore. I'm on Static IP and it works fine on the PS4.

Associate
My Ps4 is behind my Netgear router, but *not* the hyperoptic one. I don't use that anymore. I'm on Static IP and it works fine on the PS4.

Yeah I have had 3 games of SFV over the weekend, only when I join another's Battle Lounge, none when I have hosted. No ranked or casual games either. This has made it much much more frustrating as now i know its possible.

I am going to have another go with the Asus router on Friday night. I have some questions about your setup if you:

1. Just so I am clear on your reply. You have a static Hyperoptic IPV4 as well as the PS4 being static internally?
2. Assuming your PS4 is static, are you using your netgear router as the gateway and DNS? (for example PS4 = 192.168.1.100, router = 192.168.1.1)
3. Is your PS4 assigned as the DMZ?
4. Have you forwarded any ports at all for PSN or SFV?

Sorry for all the questions but I would love to narrow it down, and thanks again for your response, you are basically the only person on the net I can find who doesn't have this issue

Soldato
1. Yes. Static IP on HyperOptic, and static IP assigned to PS4 via DHCP reservation.
2. Yes for gateway, although I use Google's DNS 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 (double check these, that's from memory). I use the 10.1.0.0/16 internally, as all my work stuff is on 192.168.x.x. I've a couple of static routes off to some other stuff. I work from home, and in tech, so my home setup is a bit complex on this front.
3. No, just on the normal WAN.
4. Nope. Well apart from a couple for Web Services and an FTP site - nothing to do with the PS4.

Associate
I've just started using a VPN service.
I'm struggling to get over 180Mb speed while the VPN is switched on, when its off I get over 700Mb.
That's trying different VPN IP locations and speed test sites/locations.
Is it possible to get much faster speeds with VPN? I've searched online for what others have said, basically all I can find is that its probably due to 256k encryption slowing it down.

Soldato
I've just started using a VPN service.
I'm struggling to get over 180Mb speed while the VPN is switched on, when its off I get over 700Mb.
That's trying different VPN IP locations and speed test sites/locations.
Is it possible to get much faster speeds with VPN? I've searched online for what others have said, basically all I can find is that its probably due to 256k encryption slowing it down.

You're unfortunately into the realms of art as much as science here. I'll give you a brief list of points to consider, but atm with the greatest respect I just can't type out a huge post for various reasons.

* Your rig. Make sure there are no bottlenecks. Are you running an NVMe or SATA3 SSD? Do you have a capable processor with hardware acceleration for AES? If so does it match your VPN provider's cypher? No point having AES-CBC-256 offload if your VPN is using AES-GCM or EC... etc. Do you have sufficient RAM and is your system set up to take proper advantage of such speeds without choking (I'm looking at you, Windows)? Have you tried a Linux live USB such as Manjaro with a known fast network stack and realtime or close to upstream parity driver versions? Failing that (or in addition) have you disabled your local software firewall and AV?

* Your network. Do you have a good gigabit or 10Gbe setup? By good I mean Intel PCI-e NICs (not onboard) with minimum cat5e ethernet, plugged into a high horsepower Intel powered firewall/router? Ideally for a connection like yours I'd be running Intel Pro 1000 NICs in the machines connecting over ethernet to Intel NICs on a custom x86 box running OpenBSD, pfSense or VyOS. For example a £200 matx setup with a Pentium G4560, Intel Pro 1000 MT quad port server NIC and BSD would route gigabit VPN no issues. Eliminating local network issues is important. If you can pull 950Mbps or so without VPN you're probably good - albeit not truly optimised if you're using onboard NICs and mediocre routing and switching gear etc.

* Your VPN. Which provider is it? What servers do they have? If you tell me who they are I'll have a good idea of the topology and efficacy of their network without you having to type it all out. How are you connecting? Details, please. TCP or UDP? Ports tried? Their own software or your own, and if so what? What cypher(s) and authentication are you using? For example AES-CBC-256 and SHA512, or similar. Which servers have you tried, and have you benched alternatives? How are you testing throughput exactly?

Have you tried other VPN providers? Have you tried IPSec? Have you tried SSH instead of VPN? Have you tried OpenVPN over SSL or over SSH using stunnel? Basically give all the detail you can, and we'll see what we can see. Don't forget your usual VPN provider is running multiple 1Gbps servers (the crappier ones - including some 'big names' - on crappy VPS instead of colo dedis). If there are a few dozen users on there you're actually doing quite well to be pulling 180Mbps - that's almost 20% of the server's ability to one user out of dozens or even hundreds... Some of the better VPN companies have dedicated 10Gbps servers, and allow various protocols to connect. They'll often also be running custom kernels with optimisations for IPSec, openvpn, GCM etc.

Associate
Wow. Just out of curiosity why do you need more than 180mb? I wish I had half of that in comparison my internet speeds are painfully slow.
Because its nice to download stuff faster. Why wait 30 seconds when you could instead wait 1-10 seconds compared to any other ISP :)

And it costs me only £36/month, for actual 700-900Mb both down and up, with no usage caps or slow downs.

Associate
You're unfortunately into the realms of art as much as science here. I'll give you a brief list of points to consider, but atm with the greatest respect I just can't type out a huge post for various reasons.

* Your rig. Make sure there are no bottlenecks. Are you running an NVMe or SATA3 SSD? Do you have a capable processor with hardware acceleration for AES? If so does it match your VPN provider's cypher? No point having AES-CBC-256 offload if your VPN is using AES-GCM or EC... etc. Do you have sufficient RAM and is your system set up to take proper advantage of such speeds without choking (I'm looking at you, Windows)? Have you tried a Linux live USB such as Manjaro with a known fast network stack and realtime or close to upstream parity driver versions? Failing that (or in addition) have you disabled your local software firewall and AV?
Windows 10 64bit home edition.
Core i5 4670K @ 4Ghz
16GB DDR3 1600Mhz memory
nvidia ASUS 1080 Ti OC graphics card
SATA3 SSD - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB (+ other SSD's & HDD) with the Samsung Magician software boosting the OS/programs SSD.
So, AES matching my VPN's cypher - that just goes over my head! lol, I've never touched anything with the Linux. I've tried disabling my firewall/AV.
Soon I'll be building my next PC just for new CPU, RAM, SSD's, mobo, case.

* Your network. Do you have a good gigabit or 10Gbe setup? By good I mean Intel PCI-e NICs (not onboard) with minimum cat5e ethernet, plugged into a high horsepower Intel powered firewall/router? Ideally for a connection like yours I'd be running Intel Pro 1000 NICs in the machines connecting over ethernet to Intel NICs on a custom x86 box running OpenBSD, pfSense or VyOS. For example a £200 matx setup with a Pentium G4560, Intel Pro 1000 MT quad port server NIC and BSD would route gigabit VPN no issues. Eliminating local network issues is important. If you can pull 950Mbps or so without VPN you're probably good - albeit not truly optimised if you're using onboard NICs and mediocre routing and switching gear etc.
I run Cat6 ethernet cables to everything with a LAN port, but the ISP router WAN and LAN ports is limited to 1Gbps I think, same for my switch.
The last time I used a NIC card was 15-16 years ago when 512k broadband first came about, since then motherboards have had onboard ethernet so I've always used that.
I've no idea about a custom x86 box running OpenBSD, pfSense or VyOS etc.
I haven't yet tried connecting the PC directly to the ISP ethernet wall socket, bypassing all routing in my home. I tried it a year ago just to see if I'd gain any faster latency or broadband speed but it made no difference.

* Your VPN. Which provider is it? What servers do they have? If you tell me who they are I'll have a good idea of the topology and efficacy of their network without you having to type it all out. How are you connecting? Details, please. TCP or UDP? Ports tried? Their own software or your own, and if so what? What cypher(s) and authentication are you using? For example AES-CBC-256 and SHA512, or similar. Which servers have you tried, and have you benched alternatives? How are you testing throughput exactly?
I use ExpressVPN, just signed up today. I've tried their UK London and Netherlands servers so far.
UDP TCP etc I'm a bit clueless with those settings I've never really bothered with them particularly with any routers I've ever had. So I've always let them run their own software as they've always pretty much just worked for me.
Kind of the same thing with AES-CBC ? I've only ever noticed AES in wireless settings as an option over TKIP, WPA/2 etc.
I haven't done lots of testing and trying loads of different methods yet, I was hoping not to.

Have you tried other VPN providers? Have you tried IPSec? Have you tried SSH instead of VPN? Have you tried OpenVPN over SSL or over SSH using stunnel? Basically give all the detail you can, and we'll see what we can see. Don't forget your usual VPN provider is running multiple 1Gbps servers (the crappier ones - including some 'big names' - on crappy VPS instead of colo dedis). If there are a few dozen users on there you're actually doing quite well to be pulling 180Mbps - that's almost 20% of the server's ability to one user out of dozens or even hundreds... Some of the better VPN companies have dedicated 10Gbps servers, and allow various protocols to connect. They'll often also be running custom kernels with optimisations for IPSec, openvpn, GCM etc.
This is pretty much my first experience with VPN so I've not tried other providers. IPsec, SSH, OpenVPN I've no clue what those are sorry. I've just done a google search to check out IPsec... think I'll need a bit more time to digest all that lol, I've got to be up for work in 4 hours so I best get some sleep for now. Will try some ideas out when I get home tomorrow.

Last edited:
Soldato
If you're VPN'ing you're going to be limited by the tunnel out from the VPN provider. For example, if I'm connected to the one I use, my performance is this. Turn it off and it's this. The limit isn't my connection, it's the connectvity on the VPN side limiting things.

For what it's worth, my VPN performance got about 10% better just by dropping the MTU from 1500 to 1400 bytes on the machine that I use the VPN on.

Soldato
If you're VPN'ing you're going to be limited by the tunnel out from the VPN provider. For example, if I'm connected to the one I use, my performance is this. Turn it off and it's this. The limit isn't my connection, it's the connectvity on the VPN side limiting things.

For what it's worth, my VPN performance got about 10% better just by dropping the MTU from 1500 to 1400 bytes on the machine that I use the VPN on.

MTU would have been one of my next suggestions (as I said above the limit is very likely VPN side). However - big however - you shouldn't drop it on the NIC of the machine itself. Your ISP will be set up for a particular MTU, and that's almost universally 1500. Even with a vpn tunnel, you are of course still connected primarily through your ISP the whole time and you don't want to mess that up. The right way to do it is with custom openvpn directives appended to the ovpn config, using the mssfix option.

From a glance at the ExpressVPN software screenshots it doesn't look like you can pass custom openvpn directives. You may find it worthwhile to grab a trial of Viscosity VPN app, @Evosparki, which does allow this. Follow the Express tutorial/help page for importing an OVPN file (Express will provide them somewhere on their site) and then go into its settings by double clicking the entry in Viscosity. Find the custom directives section and enter:

tun-mtu 1500
mssfix 1400

and then save and connect. See if your speeds are better. Also try various servers of course. When you say you've tried 'various' speed testing methods, do you just mean speed test sites? They're notoriously unreliable for openvpn. You'd be better off trying a download from Usenet with multiple (10 to 20) connections, or a very well seeded torrent such as Ubuntu.

Back in Express' software you should ensure you're set to connect using UDP (it's very visible on their screenshots so you should find it easily). It'd also be worth connecting using IPSEC and/or some of the other methods they offer in the options to see how you fare (again, a simple tick box option in their software). As I said originally though it's likely not going to get hugely better, though it does depend on the provider. I have seen 200+ Mbps out of AirVPN and VPN.ac when downloading before and that was my line max at the time.

Associate
New promotion available
  • 1gb up and down £40 / month (should be £60)
  • 100mb up and down £22 / month (should be £35)
  • 20mb up 1mb down £16 / month (should be £22)

Discount code CITY17, 12 month discount, voucher expires 15/Oct.

If anyone signs up, drop me pm for a referral so we both get £50 of our bill

Associate
New promotion available

Stuck in contract until November sadly!

Caporegime
Or free for a year if you're the person who did the legwork to get enough people signed up in your development ;)

Associate
I'm looking to sign up if anyone wants to to
New promotion available

Hi pal, I'm looking to sign up. Always down for a good saving!

Associate
If last years November black Friday sales is anything to go by then that 1Gb broadband-only 12-month (renewed) contract will be on offer for a week at £33/month, compared to that £40 mentioned above.

Back
Top Bottom