*** Official Hyperoptic Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
Just moved into a flat with the gigabit. super stoked. Its already up and running but i didnt have my laptop on me to test it out. Wednesday can't come soon enough.

Associate
Just got Hyperoptic for about a week now but a minor problem going on. Every time I wake up first thing and use the internet it doesn’t work, web pages don’t load instagram etc. Only a restart of the router makes it all work again. Any one else get the same issues?

It’s almost as if the internet being idle overnight has somehow stopped it working. Probably a coincidence but it has happened few mornings in a row

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
Hi gang. Do hyperoptic run a referral scheme? Someone I know just bought a place served by hyperoptic so let me know if there's anything to gain for either party.

Associate
Hi gang. Do hyperoptic run a referral scheme? Someone I know just bought a place served by hyperoptic so let me know if there's anything to gain for either party.

Yes £50 off in bill credit for each referral for both the referrer and the new sign up.

TJM

TJM

Associate
Just got Hyperoptic for about a week now but a minor problem going on. Every time I wake up first thing and use the internet it doesn’t work, web pages don’t load instagram etc. Only a restart of the router makes it all work again. Any one else get the same issues?

It’s almost as if the internet being idle overnight has somehow stopped it working. Probably a coincidence but it has happened few mornings in a row
You’ll need to do some tedious troubleshooting.

Are you using their router or a third party one? Does the issue affect wireless and wired connections? If you log into the admin panel in the router before rebooting it, what is the connection status?

Caporegime
Open a support case, there's not much you can do yourself unless you have a router to swap in.

Do you have to reboot the router, or is that all you tried? Does pulling out the WAN cable and plugging it back in after 30 seconds or so bring things back to life?

Associate
Open a support case, there's not much you can do yourself unless you have a router to swap in.

Do you have to reboot the router, or is that all you tried? Does pulling out the WAN cable and plugging it back in after 30 seconds or so bring things back to life?

Have spoke to support and they’ve done a software reboot and re-provisioned the network. Seems to be working okay this morning (no router reboot necessary) so we’ll see how it goes.

Using the tilgin ac router they supply. Web pages seem to load very slow and no images so I think the connection was there, just slow DNS or something. Have tried using google dns but had same problem. But like I said, the support said it should be fixed anyway. Will report back if anything goes amiss again.

Thanks guys

Soldato
Have spoke to support and they’ve done a software reboot and re-provisioned the network. Seems to be working okay this morning (no router reboot necessary) so we’ll see how it goes.

Using the tilgin ac router they supply. Web pages seem to load very slow and no images so I think the connection was there, just slow DNS or something. Have tried using google dns but had same problem. But like I said, the support said it should be fixed anyway. Will report back if anything goes amiss again.

Thanks guys

Use Cloudflare DNS :)

Caporegime
It might be worth temporarily disabling IPv6 on your laptop/whatever as a troubleshooting step - I have the ZTE router and it takes a while after my laptop wakes up to receive an RA for an IPv6 service, so anything attempting to connect via IPv6 (Outlook) will hang until it times out.

I plan on replacing the router eventually but can't be bothered right now.

Associate
Anyone had any luck with retentions? I was paying £16 on the 30 Mb package and it’s now gone up to £22(regular price). Best they’re offering me at the moment is the 150 Mb for £25, don’t think they understand that I don’t want to be paying more. Surprised they didn’t offer me the 30 Mb for £18 :confused:

A2Z

A2Z

Soldato
i'm having major issues with any mobile device connected. Websites don't fully load (pictures mainly) or they don't load at all. Can't stream anything even youtube, just hangs. This happens on EVERY mobile device without fail, 2 different phones and 2 tablets. As soon as I switch them to mobile data everything works instantly.

This issue does NOT happen on my PC, where everything works and loads fine. Everything, mobile devices and PC is connected via Wifi 5Ghz (tried 2.4Ghz on mobile devices and still same thing).

Have sent in a support ticket will see what they say. Hopefully it's same issue @lauy was having and they fix mine same way.

Associate
i'm having major issues with any mobile device connected. Websites don't fully load (pictures mainly) or they don't load at all. Can't stream anything even youtube, just hangs. This happens on EVERY mobile device without fail, 2 different phones and 2 tablets. As soon as I switch them to mobile data everything works instantly.

This issue does NOT happen on my PC, where everything works and loads fine. Everything, mobile devices and PC is connected via Wifi 5Ghz (tried 2.4Ghz on mobile devices and still same thing).

Have sent in a support ticket will see what they say. Hopefully it's same issue @lauy was having and they fix mine same way.

Sounds exactly the same as what I been having trouble with. The software and network reset didn’t work so Support changed the firewall (lowered it) and I haven’t had any problems since.

Use Cloudflare DNS :)

Never heard of them before. Worth using them over Hyperoptic standard DNS or even google?

Last edited:

A2Z

A2Z

Soldato
Sounds exactly the same as what I been having trouble with. The software and network reset didn’t work so Support changed the firewall (lowered it) and I haven’t had any problems since.
They ended up fixing this issue, by disabling IPv6 in my router. Apparently a lot of websites don't like IPv6 and fail to load which created the issue I was having. Now it's off everything is working fine!

Have to say Hyperoptic support is really good - they always respond quickly.

Associate
Never heard of them before. Worth using them over Hyperoptic standard DNS or even google?

Definitely worth a punt. Go to https://one.one.one.one/ to find out - unsurprisingly the main DNS server IP is 1.1.1.1

They're a load quicker than google's 8.8.8.8; Hyperoptic (currently) peer with Cloudflare in both Manchester and London so all of us Northerners get a speedy connection.
Try pinging 1.1.1.1 and then 8.8.8.8, from a networking standpoint they're a chunk faster at least from here in Manchester.

Code:
➜  ~ ping -c 4 8.8.8.8
PING 8.8.8.8 (8.8.8.8) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_seq=1 ttl=118 time=7.11 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_seq=2 ttl=118 time=7.34 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_seq=3 ttl=118 time=7.02 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_seq=4 ttl=118 time=7.23 ms

--- 8.8.8.8 ping statistics ---
4 packets transmitted, 4 received, 0% packet loss, time 3003ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 7.022/7.178/7.340/0.147 ms

➜  ~ ping -c 4 1.1.1.1
PING 1.1.1.1 (1.1.1.1) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from 1.1.1.1: icmp_seq=1 ttl=57 time=0.559 ms
64 bytes from 1.1.1.1: icmp_seq=2 ttl=57 time=0.626 ms
64 bytes from 1.1.1.1: icmp_seq=3 ttl=57 time=0.713 ms
64 bytes from 1.1.1.1: icmp_seq=4 ttl=57 time=0.550 ms

--- 1.1.1.1 ping statistics ---
4 packets transmitted, 4 received, 0% packet loss, time 3058ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 0.550/0.612/0.713/0.065 ms

~cw

~cw

Associate
Prior to the CGNAT rollout I'm sure I saw literature which explained static IPs were £5 per month for 30 or 150 mbit customers but free for gigabit customers. And of course when I signed up I couldn't find this now!

I've been looking around because I was mysteriously provisioned a static IP on my account when I signed up -- but when I called to confirm there was some confusion (and I'm now paying for one). Just puzzled really...

Associate
I've noticed that Hyperoptic are "Registering Interest" on my new build development in Southampton. I started a web chat with someone from telesales and asked if it was just the flats that are getting it or all the properties on the development. She said all the properties, I am guessing they have moved on from just offering it to flats!? We're currently with BT Ultrafast 2 330/50 @ £60 a month so 1gbps @ £49 is a no brainer.

~cw

~cw

Associate
I've noticed that Hyperoptic are "Registering Interest" on my new build development in Southampton. I started a web chat with someone from telesales and asked if it was just the flats that are getting it or all the properties on the development. She said all the properties, I am guessing they have moved on from just offering it to flats!? We're currently with BT Ultrafast 2 330/50 @ £60 a month so 1gbps @ £49 is a no brainer.

Get in early and register your intent. They should send an email when ordering goes live with a discount code which makes it even cheaper, they did for us. :D (drop me a line if you don't hear anything once it's available to order)

Be prepared for a wait of several months between the work beginning and the service being ready. A lot of delays seem to be caused by shared duct access for fibre runs, wayleaves and dealing with building management companies. It can help if you can get landlords and management company on side.

Associate
Get in early and register your intent. They should send an email when ordering goes live with a discount code which makes it even cheaper, they did for us. :D (drop me a line if you don't hear anything once it's available to order)

Be prepared for a wait of several months between the work beginning and the service being ready. A lot of delays seem to be caused by shared duct access for fibre runs, wayleaves and dealing with building management companies. It can help if you can get landlords and management company on side.

Interesting, I've already got decent internet, this is me being greedy! I'm in no massive rush for it. My contract with BT ends in July so I will keep an eye on what they are doing. I've not got much knowledge of FTTP but will they not just use the fibre optic cable that BT ran and connect it up differently; hyperoptic "connection point" not BT? As it's a new build development everything is run underground so will be interesting to see what issues they run into.

Soldato
So HyperOptic run their own cabling to the exchange usually, and then from there it's standard openreach line. Hence why they usually only do blocks of flats, as the exchange is usually right by the block

Once at the property (i.e. block of flats), they'll have a mini exchange, if you like, where the fibre is distributed to all the flats via high speed ethernet (Gb)

Back
Top Bottom