**** Official Microsoft Flight Simulator Thread ****

Soldato
As I pilot I can tell you hardly a day goes by where I don’t see a ground services vehicle balancing on top of a lamp post. Totally normal and working as intended.

Soldato
The driver for my autopilot panel is obviously a little buggy. Nice touch though, when it craps out ( only happened a couple of times), the avionics and MFD actually reboot in the cockpit and bring it back up.

Now come on AMD I want to see some more GPU options.

Man of Honour
Any recommendations for good Android companion apps, particularly flight planners, charts, routes, and maps?

I've done a fair bit of looking and it seems that they're all either iOS only (Foreflight is the common recommendation), USA only, or very expensive.

Vfrmap plugin looks interesting, but is only really a Google Maps vfr overly.

Ideally I'd like to use it on my Android tablet. Beginning to think I should just use a web-based service combined with the better vfr map.

I've been enjoying using VFRMap although I wish I could run it on a different device (on the same network) as that was I could stick it on my Android Tablet or even work Surface.

For VFR flight planning SkyDemon is pretty good; I tried it on iPad but there's an Android version too that I mean to try and make sure its the same; there's a 30 day free trial although its not cheap after that.

There's a list here: http://digitalpilotschool.com/8-fli...attern at any airfield. Simply enter... More

Caporegime
I've been enjoying using VFRMap although I wish I could run it on a different device (on the same network) as that was I could stick it on my Android Tablet or even work Surface.

For VFR flight planning SkyDemon is pretty good; I tried it on iPad but there's an Android version too that I mean to try and make sure its the same; there's a 30 day free trial although its not cheap after that.

There's a list here: http://digitalpilotschool.com/8-fli...attern at any airfield. Simply enter... More

Just been mucking around with VFRMap and have it working brilliantly on my Android tablet via a Chrome browser:

GZISRAYh.jpg

7HIQOsnh.jpg

Now I just need a new PC. That's a 40" 4K screen being powered by a GTX 970 and a 4690K :p.

Man of Honour
Just been mucking around with VFRMap and have it working brilliantly on my Android tablet via a Chrome browser:

GZISRAYh.jpg

7HIQOsnh.jpg

Now I just need a new PC. That's a 40" 4K screen being powered by a GTX 970 and a 4690K :p.

Nice! I've got a stick/throttle on order - but no PC! Need to start ordering bits this week - struggled in the 3080 pre-order; tempted just to spring for a 3090 and use my 32" 4K monitor for this....

Associate
Looking at the Premium Deluxe version on CDKeys there are different options : Windows 10 (US) - Windows 10 (UK) - Windows 10 - PC (Steam), I imagine the US & UK ones are specific to those countries and the just Windows 10 version is region free, but is there any benefit to having either the Microsoft activation one or Steam which is £7 more expensive than the Windows 10 (UK) version

smr

smr

Soldato
Hi guys,

Firstly, the game is absolutely stunning, I can't wait to buy a new rig for myself now. I played it for the first time last night as I've just built a rig for a customer, it's a 5900XT, 16GB 3200 DDR 4, 3600X...

The game says that it recommends high-end graphics with this hardware, and whilst it looks amazing and is generally smooth there are times where the game stutters a bit and even sometimes pauses for a couple of seconds and then runs ok, the latter doesn't happen often, probably happened a couple of times last night and I must have been on it for about 2 hours.

Just wondering if anyone has any links to a good guide on optimising gfx settings with a balance between aesthetics and performance.

Soldato
Looking at the Premium Deluxe version on CDKeys there are different options : Windows 10 (US) - Windows 10 (UK) - Windows 10 - PC (Steam), I imagine the US & UK ones are specific to those countries and the just Windows 10 version is region free, but is there any benefit to having either the Microsoft activation one or Steam which is £7 more expensive than the Windows 10 (UK) version
I would say go for the direct purchase from MS.

This is one title where buying from Steam has no real advantage. Most of the game files (100Gb+) and maintenance patches are downloaded from the FS/Asobo server, not from Steam - which is why the current annoyance over file looping and having to throttle speed to 500KB/s to prevent it. While this huge download interspersed over several days is going on, Steam thinks you are playing FS so you can't run any other title in the meantime or use your Steam account on a different machine.

Steam also seem to have stooped their no quibble approach to refunds - I tried a couple of days ago being totally fed up with the d/l situation and it just got knocked back.

Soldato
The game says that it recommends high-end graphics with this hardware, and whilst it looks amazing and is generally smooth there are times where the game stutters a bit and even sometimes pauses for a couple of seconds and then runs ok, the latter doesn't happen often, probably happened a couple of times last night and I must have been on it for about 2 hours.

It's likely a memory issue - lots of people are reporting it fills 16GB easily and should really have 32GB, which is the 'ideal' spec listed.

Associate
I would say go for the direct purchase from MS.

This is one title where buying from Steam has no real advantage. Most of the game files (100Gb+) and maintenance patches are downloaded from the FS/Asobo server, not from Steam - which is why the current annoyance over file looping and having to throttle speed to 500KB/s to prevent it. While this huge download interspersed over several days is going on, Steam thinks you are playing FS so you can't run any other title in the meantime or use your Steam account on a different machine.

Steam also seem to have stooped their no quibble approach to refunds - I tried a couple of days ago being totally fed up with the d/l situation and it just got knocked back.

Thanks for the reply, I never thought of Steam being tied up while it downloaded

Associate
I see there is going to be a Japan update this week, It looks excellent but I wish they would concentrate on getting Global problems fixed first. bridges underwater and everywhere seems to be covered in trees, even some city streets from videos I have watched

Soldato
I see there is going to be a Japan update this week, It looks excellent but I wish they would concentrate on getting Global problems fixed first. bridges underwater and everywhere seems to be covered in trees, even some city streets from videos I have watched

Pretty much my thoughts as I sit here unable to use any other Steam program, while FS20 slowly reinstalls itself at 500KB/s. Sadly tends to indicate where the priority lies.

Soldato
Soldato
I think the main thing I'd like to see is better distribution of cpu load across multiple cores. My 2700x is pinned on one core most of the time.

And I want to fly under bridges

Soldato
I think the main thing I'd like to see is better distribution of cpu load across multiple cores. My 2700x is pinned on one core most of the time.

And I want to fly under bridges

it confuses me when I see people saying this. On my 5930k I see almost equal use across all 6 cores and all 6 threads in this game. How come?

Soldato
it confuses me when I see people saying this. On my 5930k I see almost equal use across all 6 cores and all 6 threads in this game. How come?

I think it depends on the GPU to how much the cpu gets loaded up too, my 3900x sees fairly even load across quite a few threads, but my gtx1080 is pinned at 100% the whole time.

It's a bit disappointing they didn't launch the game on DX12 but hopefully it will come.

Back
Top Bottom