**** Official Microsoft Flight Simulator Thread ****

Soldato
This thing ran like an absolute pig for me in VR - 5900x + 3090. Was averaging around 30 fps with everything on lowest settings I could manage. Given the quality of the pancake graphics I am gonna stick to that for the minute which is a bit of a shocker for me because I have not been back to 2d for any other game.

Seriously, have a read through the link I shared above - there's some counterintuitive stuff like setting the EFIS displays to high which reduces stutter giving a smoother performance as well as some great troubleshooting regarding drivers, windows settings etc.

I went from disappointing to really quite playable (even at low FPS it's smooth which is the important point) by starting with his settings and I'm on a 3070 and 3900X so you should be laughing with your setup.

Soldato
Ok so I found the setting for reprojection in OpenXR Developer tools, setting this to Auto definitely helps smooth it out. You may need to install/update it from the Microsoft Store.

e65bdfaa93e5a1c3d97a25ddd7d9b354.png

Below I'm sharing my settings which are the best balance I can find for my 3900x and GTX1080 running a Reverb G2. It's not a great frame rate, somewhere around 22-24fps, but it's consistent and with the reprojection it's just passable to use and looks pretty decent.

de38277cff95ac29ee5c3a5e5edbc18c.png

cf57bde0637033e821a20b3524ba6fa0.png

Soldato
For all VR users I strongly recommend browsing through this thread and paying attention to any posts by CptLucky8:

My 2070 SUPER VR settings and suggestions (Valve Index) - Virtual Reality (VR) / Hardware & Performance - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums

Just gone through this and done some of the stuff. It is an excellent guide, indeed. The resolution tips are really great and have made a huge difference for me. Still a lot to do on the performance front though; I'm getting ~27fps and ~105ms lag (Q2, VD).

I really hope motion controls are something they're thinking about, down the line. Using a mouse to click on dashboard items is both jarring (from an immersion point of view) and very janky. It'd be so much better if levers could be grabbed, and switches pressed, fully inside 3D space.

Associate
Seriously, have a read through the link I shared above - there's some counterintuitive stuff like setting the EFIS displays to high which reduces stutter giving a smoother performance as well as some great troubleshooting regarding drivers, windows settings etc.

I went from disappointing to really quite playable (even at low FPS it's smooth which is the important point) by starting with his settings and I'm on a 3070 and 3900X so you should be laughing with your setup.
Thanks - went through some of this and it has helped a lot - managed to turn some settings up and still get 40 fps with index motion projection. CPU frame times are taking a hammering though and am getting quite a few longish (0.5s) microstutters.

Soldato
Well, I don't feel so bad about not being able to get a GPU now....hopefully by the time I can upgrade the software side will be improved!

Can't wait to fly in VR....but no touch controls sounds pretty bad.

Soldato
The lack of touch controls doesn't bother me one bit. It wasn't very great in Xplane, I found it was difficult to hit switches with accuracy and was often hitting my desk in attempts to do so. The 3d mouse works great.

Associate
...still looked "ok", ...
Do u really think it looked "ok" in the S? I tried the JFK landing activity, the dials/gauges in the cockpit (such as the airspeed indicator readout) were blurry and the runway looked very indiscriminate for want of a better word. Tried it on high and low settings, was juddery on both but I am only using a gtx 1080. Even ignoring the juddering, I don't think I can live with the S's rubbish resolution with this game and I am now actively trying to get a HP Reverb G2.

Soldato
Do u really think it looked "ok" in the S? I tried the JFK landing activity, the dials/gauges in the cockpit (such as the airspeed indicator readout) were blurry and the runway looked very indiscriminate for want of a better word. Tried it on high and low settings, was juddery on both but I am only using a gtx 1080. Even ignoring the juddering, I don't think I can live with the S's rubbish resolution with this game and I am now actively trying to get a HP Reverb G2.

I replaced my Rift S with a G2 fit that very reason, the lack of resulution and the prominent screen door effect was a huge let down on the S in any kind of sim game.

The G2 in comparison is utterly stunning, but it is pushing my gtx1080 to the absolute limits.

Associate
I replaced my Rift S with a G2 fit that very reason, the lack of resulution and the prominent screen door effect was a huge let down on the S in any kind of sim game.

The G2 in comparison is utterly stunning, but it is pushing my gtx1080 to the absolute limits.
I do have a quest 2 so I'm going to try that with a link cable, should be some what of an improvement but nowhere near the G2. I'm a bit envious you have a G2 :p I am trying to source one now and an RTX 3080/3090 and it's tough going.

Soldato
I do have a quest 2 so I'm going to try that with a link cable, should be some what of an improvement but nowhere near the G2. I'm a bit envious you have a G2 :p I am trying to source one now and an RTX 3080/3090 and it's tough going.

The Quest 2 should give you a pretty damn good set of visuals plus being able to run a lot smoother! I'm on the hunt for a GPU now too but it's a struggle haha.

Soldato
The advantage with the G2 is not only with the resolution that works wonders on fine detail of objects like the cockpit displays, but also it's wonder sauce motion vector reprojection. It's night and day better than the Index in visually smooth gameplay in sim titles with very little visual distortion on the image compared to the standard steamVR projection. With Flightsim in mind i'll cite Trucksim which suffers from poor cpu usage that gets amplified in VR, the G2 and it's vector smoothing is a revelation in that game, gone are the stutters around towns and cites.

Soldato
The advantage with the G2 is not only with the resolution that works wonders on fine detail of objects like the cockpit displays, but also it's wonder sauce motion vector reprojection. It's night and day better than the Index in visually smooth gameplay in sim titles with very little visual distortion on the image compared to the standard steamVR projection. With Flightsim in mind i'll cite Trucksim which suffers from poor cpu usage that gets amplified in VR, the G2 and it's vector smoothing is a revelation in that game, gone are the stutters around towns and cites.

I find it varies from game to game, but given sufficient overhead yes it works very well for the most part... tends to work better the higher the resolution is, which makes sense because it has more data to work from of course when plotting the motion vectors of given pixels.

In this game however I'm not sure... I think projecting from 30fps is just too much to ask as I get a lot of wobbling, especially behind props and wings. I can quite happily play at 30-40fps in this game with it turned off oddly enough, after having done the aforementioned tricks to reduce stuttering. At a smooth 30-40fps it's actually quite enjoyable for me, but I've never been affected by motion sickness so people's mileage may vary. Head movement is always smooth thanks to the buffer.

Soldato
I've got a HTC Vive and want to try this but bit of a n00b question, basically the Vive uses/needs SteamVR so is it a case of just launch SteamVR before MSFS and it 'just works' or is there more to it than that? I don't need any of the Windows/MS VR stuff right?

Although my GTX1070 is just gonna cry so not sure it's worth it really :p

Associate
I've got a HTC Vive and want to try this but bit of a n00b question, basically the Vive uses/needs SteamVR so is it a case of just launch SteamVR before MSFS and it 'just works' or is there more to it than that? I don't need any of the Windows/MS VR stuff right?

Although my GTX1070 is just gonna cry so not sure it's worth it really :p

launch the VR software then load flight sim then acitvate VR mode

Soldato
I find it varies from game to game, but given sufficient overhead yes it works very well for the most part... tends to work better the higher the resolution is, which makes sense because it has more data to work from of course when plotting the motion vectors of given pixels.

In this game however I'm not sure...

That's probably true, there's some variation. Name a few that have given me no joy, Stormlands, Sub Nautica, and No Mans Sky when it wants to play hardball. I was kind of looking for some reassuring opinion though with this game, £60 is something i want to spend:)

Associate
Well I down clocked my RAM from 3600 to 3200 and the long stutters seemed to disappear (I also had a hard crash whilst playing). The bios for the MSI X570 running the new chips still has some memory teething issues so hopefully once the new version is released it will be more stable.

Back
Top Bottom