**** Official Microsoft Flight Simulator Thread ****

Caporegime
Not sure if I'm being dim, but I always have a hell of a time trying to find ILS, VOR, and ADF frequencies for Flight Sim flights.

How I wish their VFR map included this info, like in X Plane. ADF is normally there in plain site, but never ILS or VOR.

I use Sky Vector, but for some reason when you click on instrument charts or an airport, there's never a section that says 'this is the ILS/ VOR frequency for this runway / airport', only nearby navigation aids.

I don't want nearby, I want Bristol airport's VOR frequency. How hard can that be?!
I gave up with free charts. I was finding it so annoying finding all the right charts and approach plates, that I just bit the bullet and signed up to Navigraph. Every single chart you can think of right there on my iPad or phone for the price of a couple of pints a month. Makes simming so much more enjoyable

Soldato
Well finally got a joystick; the Airbus one, finally finished downloading the game and I'm flying.

So I find take of landing okay, not had a crash or missed the runway yet on training, done lots of the circuit take off and landings but the last part of the training I hit a wall .

How do you navigate? When I take off I can't see any golf club house and just fly aimlessly as a result.

Also trim...I just can't seem to understand how this works,I adjust it and either just go up and down not sure how you keep level flight with it.

Also what do people use to look around the cockpit when flying, I find the mouse to be no good and makes me lose my steady flight as I look around ie looking for the runway.

Soldato
Thought I'd do a flight from Manchester - Barcelona. First in the A320 but for some reason auto pilot wouldn't work and allow heading select, so the aircraft went in circles, tried the 737 next, that kept to heading but wouldn't exceed 16000ft?? Anyone know what I could be doing wrong?

Caporegime
Thought I'd do a flight from Manchester - Barcelona. First in the A320 but for some reason auto pilot wouldn't work and allow heading select, so the aircraft went in circles, tried the 737 next, that kept to heading but wouldn't exceed 16000ft?? Anyone know what I could be doing wrong?
How did you try to use heading with autopilot in the a320?

Soldato
Well finally got a joystick; the Airbus one, finally finished downloading the game and I'm flying.

So I find take of landing okay, not had a crash or missed the runway yet on training, done lots of the circuit take off and landings but the last part of the training I hit a wall .

How do you navigate? When I take off I can't see any golf club house and just fly aimlessly as a result.

Also trim...I just can't seem to understand how this works, I adjust it and either just go up and down not sure how you keep level flight with it.

Also what do people use to look around the cockpit when flying, I find the mouse to be no good and makes me lose my steady flight as I look around ie looking for the runway.

Is this the training solo flight? I had trouble with this too. You take off, double back to position yourself over the runway and then while above the runway, turn and face the heading they want you to go. So when it says go 163 heading, you will fly on the radar heading in a 16 direction. If it's 220, head in the 22 direction and if it's something like 80, head in the 8 direction.

The dial I believe is on the bottom row in the middle, it has a plane and a bunch of numbers running around the edge. My first try I was aimlessly flying for double the time I needed and gave up, second attempt I was able to spot the place and head on to my final destination. It's much easier to see the actual golf course, you won't miss it. When you have set your stopwatch, fly in that direction for the duration it mentions (I think the first part is like 6 minutes?) and keep scanning out of your window.

I could have missed it again as I was a little off course but was able to spot the golf course and correct myself.

For trim, just hold the button a little each time in a direction and you'll level the plane, remember to trim gradually. I remapped my trim to up/down on the the little control on top of the stick (using same airbus stick as you). If you look down in the plane, the trim is a little wheel you see turning.

Can't help with camera movement as I use Tobii Eye Tracker, but keyboard for instruments might be the best option and use freelook (mouse) when you need to spot your location? You can also bring up a map with "v" I think it is, it'll only help on your approach to the new airstrip though.

Soldato
Is this the training solo flight? I had trouble with this too. You take off, double back to position yourself over the runway and then while above the runway, turn and face the heading they want you to go. So when it says go 163 heading, you will fly on the radar heading in a 16 direction. If it's 220, head in the 22 direction and if it's something like 80, head in the 8 direction.

The dial I believe is on the bottom row in the middle, it has a plane and a bunch of numbers running around the edge. My first try I was aimlessly flying for double the time I needed and gave up, second attempt I was able to spot the place and head on to my final destination. It's much easier to see the actual golf course, you won't miss it. When you have set your stopwatch, fly in that direction for the duration it mentions (I think the first part is like 6 minutes?) and keep scanning out of your window.

I could have missed it again as I was a little off course but was able to spot the golf course and correct myself.

For trim, just hold the button a little each time in a direction and you'll level the plane, remember to trim gradually. I remapped my trim to up/down on the the little control on top of the stick (using same airbus stick as you). If you look down in the plane, the trim is a little wheel you see turning.

Can't help with camera movement as I use Tobii Eye Tracker, but keyboard for instruments might be the best option and use freelook (mouse) when you need to spot your location? You can also bring up a map with "v" I think it is, it'll only help on your approach to the new airstrip though.

Thanks for the tips will try and keymap the trim and yes it's the first flight training solo.
Will have another crack at it tonight now.

Also will have a look at that tobii eye tracker thing.

Many thanks

Soldato
Hi all. Just got the game yesterday and completed the training missions.

Quick question - I want to fly the non G1000 172 Skyhawk, but it doesn't seem to be available for free flight. I have the Delux version. What am I missing?

Soldato

Associate
I see in the announcement of the next update just Birmingham, Bristol, Cambridge, Oxford, and London are getting the photogrammetry treatment as well as some other sights.
I haven't got MFS2020 yet as i am waiting to build a new pc when the parts are a bit cheaper and available.
I have obviously seen videos of part of the UK but are other Cities and Towns anywhere near to reality other than Portsmouth and Southampton. Thatched cottages for instance in Stratford on Avon

Soldato
Just flew over Cranwell....no college, disappointed however the game is bonkers gorgeous.
Running a 3700x 2070sup and 64 gig ram at 4k with everything to high with a few ultra settings and it's pretty buttery, expected it to be harsher on my system.

Now I need to start to focus on one aircraft at a time instead of jumping in them asap.

Caporegime
The printer function they have just implemented is awesome. Print out all your landing data and have it sit in front of you. Fantastic feature.

Soldato
The printer function they have just implemented is awesome. Print out all your landing data and have it sit in front of you. Fantastic feature.

The dev version has a “working” tablet too. It’s not fully functional yet but you can see the menu system and some of it works.

Amazing stuff, really is. I think Asobo has been incredibly impressed with them and is looking at ways of making it available in marketplace without stepping on any legal toes given its unlicensed... for now though the installer is fantastic anyway.

Caporegime
The dev version has a “working” tablet too. It’s not fully functional yet but you can see the menu system and some of it works.

Amazing stuff, really is. I think Asobo has been incredibly impressed with them and is looking at ways of making it available in marketplace without stepping on any legal toes given its unlicensed... for now though the installer is fantastic anyway.
This is actually the correct download page for dev and stable editions isn’t it?

https://flybywiresim.com/a32nx

Back
Top Bottom