1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

**** Official Microsoft Flight Simulator Thread ****

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by lurkio, 10 Jun 2019.

1. Zeeflyboy

Wise Guy

You can install either the stable, dev or experimental version right from the installer which is the easiest way as that will also check for updates when you run it.

2. willhub

Capodecina

I've installed the A32NX hoping it's more reliable than the one that came with FS2020

3. robfosters

Caporegime

Another handy feature would be the ability to save custom graphics profiles. T always seems to be the interior of airliners that hammer FPS, so it would be good to be able to switch between profiles for GA and airliner flying.

4. robfosters

Caporegime

Is it down?

Says it cant access the content servers. My internet connection is fine.

5. john_s

Wise Guy

Grrrrrr... I’m thinking I’ve been cursed by the gods of MSFS!

Decided to buy the DVD version rather than the installer, as we’ve not got a great internet connection speed here. Took so long to arrive that the rainforest thought it was lost in the post, then when it did arrive, the installer gets to DVD 4 and fails, as the DVD errors.

Guess I’m going to be downloading it anyway.... it’d have probably worked out quicker if I’d just done that in the first place!

6. robfosters

Caporegime

Worked it out. I was signed into the mobile game pass app on my iPad. It won’t work unless you sign out of it.

7. willhub

Capodecina

I've followed the advice from here and installed the dev A320, autopilot now works

A320 autopilot flying in circles - Default Aircraft / Airliners - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums

Managed Manc - Barcelona, however when I arrived at Barcelona, ATC wanted me to stay at 7000ft, despite me flying right over the EL-Prat airport, and then I was like 8 miles south in the ocean, so I took manual control and just piloted the plane into landing manually.

Must be a bug surely?

Last edited: 3 Feb 2021
  8. robfosters

Caporegime

Which runway was you flying into? Was this on final approach? Barca has high minimums in the airspace around it on the mainland due to noise abatement.

9. spoony77

Gangster

So I've had a few crashes to desktop on the flight loading screen, so I decided to check the ram usage and wow this game gobbles all 16gb of my ram whilst loading is this normal?
    So if I increase my virtual memory to help should I be increasing it for my Windows drive or the drive the game is installed on :confused:

10. wellibob

Mobster

For flight sim you really need more ram. 32 gig of system ram is the new normal. Not essential but highly recommended.

11. willhub

Capodecina

Why? FS2020 isn't even utilising my 16gb

12. Uhtred

Soldato

Are you limiting your virtual memory? Set it to system managed and see if the problem goes away. You can put a page file on any drive, but obviously the faster the better

13. willhub

Capodecina

I had the same issue, and someone pointed out virtual memory, I have my pagefile on an nvme drive and installed a game that left about 10gb free, uninstalled game and FS2020 worked fine .

Probably contradicting what my previous post said that it's not utilising 16gb, at least from task manager I don't appear to be using the 16gb ram

14. Brun

Gangster

Windows is pretty smart with memory these days, the more you have the more it'll use. RAM is a very efficient way to store data and not making use of what's available is a waste. Running FS frequently uses over 16 of my 32GB.

15. wellibob

Mobster

I did say it isn't essential. 16 gig of system ram is very tight in 2021 and other than "I can't afford it" , no excuses.

16. willhub

Capodecina

Not sure very tight in 2021 is the right wording, some applications might utilise it, but it's going to be a while before 16gb is hindering systems to the point they're grinding to a halt, like 2gb with Windows Vista

17. willhub

Capodecina

Not sure very tight in 2021 is the right wording, some applications might utilise it, but it's going to be a while before 16gb is hindering systems to the point they're grinding to a halt, like 2gb with Windows Vista

18. Participant

Caporegime

No it's not, don't be ridiculous.

I have 32GB but only because there was a ridiculous deal on the River. Probably netted me 1-2 FPS in FS.

19. wellibob

Mobster

You clearly are sensible for having 32 gig of system ram. Enough said.

20. Participant

Caporegime

Am I being dim, or does the A320 not actually display the digital heading anywhere?