**** Official Microsoft Flight Simulator Thread ****

Soldato
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IfpJpNIWqM
Silverstone alternative
Theres still loads of work to be done with this sim, I expect we will end up having to pay loads of money for hand crafted extras in the UK to see proper scenery instead of this autogen rubbish, unless Bing redo the UK in 3D

Yeah, that's pretty daft. At first I thought it looked good from the air and then you notice the stands are all hotels or apartment type buildings.

Associate
Most structures are auto generated I noticed there is a lot of places where sim get confused especially with terraced houses If silverstone looks like this Im now curious about airports that are not in the game like Vagar Airport for instance.

Last edited:
Soldato
This is nothing different to any other flight sim to be honest, its just MSFS2020 is higher quality than anything that has come before. Perhaps expectations just need to be tempered somewhat, they can't model everything.

My main gripe is that we never get a simulator that properly simulates big jets in completeness. There are always numerous things that don't work or dead switches and systems, which looks to be the way with the new A320. Its like all developers just say "right, we got it this far, we can't be bothered to do the rest as we have run out of time and money. Hey third party developers, you take over for us will ya, and we will charge our customers £40 for the a properly fixed A320".

I only say that because MS made a big thing about a year ago about working with aircraft manufacturers getting little details just right, but then planes like the A320 will be very much half baked attempts for the modding community to take over and do it properly. If Zibo can polish up the 737-800 for free in X Plane 11, why can't a big corporation like MS pay somebody full time to do the job properly?

Either way, it looks like MSFS2020 for VFR stuff, X Plane 11 for airliners, until next year when decent payware stuff comes out. Its like they have just made a A320 that will broadly work and be acceptable for the masses (the main market to be fair, not the hardcore simmers), but that's about it.

What MSFS2020 is, its just a fantastic piece of base software that is clearly a massive technological leap forward. All the good stuff will follow. Its a shame it has to be this way but it makes them money I guess.

Associate
But there’s a great deal of players that just want to jump in an aircraft and fly.

PMDG are bringing their whole fleet over to MSFS for the few that enjoy every switch and feature and have the time and patience to learn it all.

From the videos I’ve seen it looks fantastic and should give many hours of entertainment, after all it’s cheaper than hiring an aircraft or learning to fly. I’ve done that and MSFS is the best alternative at present.

Soldato
Just been doing some VFR flying in a C172. Absolutely fantastic! Being able to follow roads and pick out buildings easily is quite literally a game changer. Flew over many places I know and recognised them all very well. The AI scenery is superb on the whole.

Associate
If Zibo can polish up the 737-800 for free in X Plane 11, why can't a big corporation like MS pay somebody full time to do the job properly?
There's a big difference doing it commercially compared with for free, for starters someone from the manufacturer will come after you for licensing fees.

Soldato
Probably best to think of the upcoming release as "first version".

Pretty much - does anyone remember the bridge debacle with FS2004?

It would take literally forever for them to accurately model everywhere in the world. I imagine the plan is to release either updates or DLC with extra detailed areas with hand modelling or indeed leave it to third parties who'll charge almost the price of the base game for a single addon.

Associate
I think they over promoted it to start with and people were expecting too much, I was really looking forward to getting it after upgrading my system, but after more and more videos are going online showing all the glitches I am a bit disillusioned now

Soldato
I think expecting the entire globe to be modelled accurately is going to give you false hope to start with.

Plus it's not like it's fixed how it is on release, it can and will be improved on after release.

Soldato
I think expecting the entire globe to be modelled accurately is going to give you false hope to start with.

Plus it's not like it's fixed how it is on release, it can and will be improved on after release.

What's great about it isn't the level of detail, it's the breadth of it. And as mentioned above, it's really about being to fly VFR anywhere in the world, and from what I've seen, it ticks that box.

Extra stuff like the rooms in the Shard etc is just fluff. Nice fluff admittedly, but still fluff :D

Soldato
What's great about it isn't the level of detail, it's the breadth of it. And as mentioned above, it's really about being to fly VFR anywhere in the world, and from what I've seen, it ticks that box.

Extra stuff like the rooms in the Shard etc is just fluff. Nice fluff admittedly, but still fluff :D

That's right. The bridges underwater and random buildings not made right, I've no doubt they will get fixed in time, I'm sure they're more worried about the bigger aspects of the sim right now.

Back
Top Bottom