Associate
Dear OCUK forum members,

As MSI UK, we are collaborating with OCUK to provide you better support for our products. This spectacular community is already doing a great job supporting each other and we are happy to contribute in any way we can!

If you need any support from us, please feel free to post this thread. You can also share the links with your ongoing threads!

For sales and promotion related issues, you can directly contact our sales support using the "[email protected]" address.

Stay safe!

Associate
I would like to praise MSI for their unparalleled technical support.
I remember MSI providing me a bespoke bios for my m.2 raid 0 boot issue on my x299 motherboard a few years ago. Hence always buy msi motherboards!

Associate
OP
I would like to praise MSI for their unparalleled technical support.
I remember MSI providing me a bespoke bios for my m.2 raid 0 boot issue on my x299 motherboard a few years ago. Hence always buy msi motherboards!

Thank you Kully1972! We are doing our best to help our customers to overcome any technical difficulties, I'm glad to hear that your boot issue is solved.

Soldato
bought msi board, drivers won't install, one PCIe slot doesn't work, fan profiles horrific, mobo manual so abridged it's useless when it comes to BIOS/EUFI guidance. The board design is so poor the heatsink even prevents installing one of the mobo mounting screws! MSi website idea of tech support is to direct you to a non-existent forum. Wish I'd spent the extra on a different brand. Seller won't accept it back for a refund/exchange. Not very happy tbh. Brand new build and all I've got is a sour taste in the mouth and no money left to do anything about it. What's really annoying is that in trying to get the drivers to work it forced me to connect to the microsoft store. In so doing it activated my win10 licence locking it to this mobo and now I'm stuck with it or having to buy a new win10 licence too even if I do save up enough to get a different one. All drivers should be on the vendor disc so we can do an offline build and check everything is behaving before passing the point of no-return!

Soldato
@ik9000

Resellers are always first port for RMA, then Vendor such as MSI .
If within 14 days of purchase reseller should have taken, tested and straight swap - as they claim back off Distribution/vendor .
Why you always buy from good resellers like OCUK.
If after 14 days and reseller tests, it's off to vendors to be fixed. Only one Vendor is UK based for Motherboards , not sure if MSI will be after Brexit ?? But their GPUs are UK based.

Hopefully they can step in and sort RMA for you . Rival is able to do this , as far as testing your own CPU and Ram along with it (before the lockdown )

Soldato
Just some feedback, I find the fan control software a pain and frustrating to use, maybe it improves on newer or more expensive but on my b450 pro carbon -

No pre set fan profiles such as "silent" "performance"

No option to reset one fan header it resets them all

The CPU selection is 20c out, so you think you've set 60c it's not, it's 40c this took me a while to figure out and is just completely pointless

There is more stuff that makes it frustrating to use but since I've finally set it up I've thankfully not had to use it again, really hoping improvements are made in fan control on newer boards as I'll be looking at MSI b550 boards when they release

Underboss
I must admit, i do like MSI products, have always been really good in terms of quality

wanted to change my MSI RX 580 to another 5700 xt, but i didn't

but i do still use MSI motherboards, and will continue to do so

looking at a ryzon setup next with an MSI Tomahawk board

Associate
Hi,

Posting here for troubleshooting help as I'm really struggling to work out what to do here.

I wanted to upgrade my old Intel CPU, which was also on a motherboard using DDR3 ram. So I purchased a new Ryzen 3600x, an MSI Tomahawk Max and some memory 2x8gb DDR4.

Added these parts in and the computer worked perfectly for about 2 weeks. Then it some point, the display cut out (fans still running, no signal to monitors). Then the PC would not POST on attempting to turn it on (all fans and the mobo RGB lights would turn on, no display output).

I reseated everything a few times with the same outcome to same result. Switched back to all my old mobo/CPU/memory combo and they worked fine. This confirmed my GPU, hard drive and PSU were fine.

Also tested with each RAM stick individually with same result. I'm guessing it's extremely unlikely for both RAM sticks to have failed. Also attempted CMOS clear and BIOS flashes.

Debug lights would appear on motherboard in normal sequence when computer was turned on, but then debug lights would all turn off fairly quickly. Given the CPU light was not on, and mobos are more prone to failure, I RMA'd the motherboard.

Encountered the same issue on the replacement, so got a new CPU. Worked for about 10 minutes. Now the computer reboots automatically on the blue windows logo start-up screen - a constant boot loop. Trying to boot anything else off a USB also reboots after a few moments and then loops.

Putting the old Intel mobo/cpu/ram combo back in still works. I have since also tried a new PSU with all of the same results.

Any ideas what I should do? I've tried 2 CPUs (both Ryzen 3600x), 2 mobos (both MSI B450 Tomahawk Max) and 2 ram sticks (both Corsair Vengenance LPX 8GB DDR4). I don't know whether a part is broken or there is some basic incompatibility issue between any of them. All of them were purchased new within the last month (from different stores), I don't know what I should be RMA'ing and I can't go to a computer shop for help during the lockdown.

Any advice would be appreciated. What fixes should I go through / parts should I contact customer support for.

Thanks

Last edited:
Soldato
any debug codes or does that mobo not offer it? I found my mobo won't post with certain PCIe cards. The cards work fine in other mobo just won't play with this board. My experience with MSI is not positive so far I have to say. However before we jump to conclusions what psu? If it's boot-loop on what,the windows screen? Will it post into Bios/UEFI?

Associate
any debug codes or does that mobo not offer it? I found my mobo won't post with certain PCIe cards. The cards work fine in other mobo just won't play with this board. My experience with MSI is not positive so far I have to say. However before we jump to conclusions what psu? If it's boot-loop on what,the windows screen? Will it post into Bios/UEFI?

The debug lights turn on one at a time then disappear. Then, just as it reboots, the cpu light quickly flashes - I'm not sure if that is standard for turning on / off - there isn't any documentation.

I do make it into UEFI and can go through the BIOS freely (have tried downclocking the RAM / ensuring XMP is off). However once you boot to disk it restarts (to hard drive it gets to about half a second of the blue Windows logo, on Linux / Windows recovery USB it gets nowhere).

PSU wise I've used 2 - started with a 600w Cooler Master one that I've been using for years (currently in the computer I'm typing on now). And then to check whether the PSU is the problem, I bought a 500W Kolink off Overclockers which arrived yesterday - exact same outcome.

Thanks

Soldato
if it posts it's probably driver related as windows starts, or something crapping out during the windows loading. What is your RAM set to in UEFI, are you just using one stick? Which bios version are you on?

Are you sure when you put the USB etc in that the boot order is correct and not still defaulting to the main drive? Try changing all your bios boot devices to cancelled and/or ensure the USB/DVD drive is bootable as the primary option. Then see if it will let you do a repair install on windows/get into safe mode (a damn site harder tasks on win10 than it should be!)

Soldato
The debug lights turn on one at a time then disappear. Then, just as it reboots, the cpu light quickly flashes - I'm not sure if that is standard for turning on / off - there isn't any documentation.

I do make it into UEFI and can go through the BIOS freely (have tried downclocking the RAM / ensuring XMP is off). However once you boot to disk it restarts (to hard drive it gets to about half a second of the blue Windows logo, on Linux / Windows recovery USB it gets nowhere).

PSU wise I've used 2 - started with a 600w Cooler Master one that I've been using for years (currently in the computer I'm typing on now). And then to check whether the PSU is the problem, I bought a 500W Kolink off Overclockers which arrived yesterday - exact same outcome.

Thanks
Did you enable game mode on the bios?

Was Windows a fresh install?

Last edited:
Associate
if it posts it's probably driver related as windows starts, or something crapping out during the windows loading. What is your RAM set to in UEFI, are you just using one stick? Which bios version are you on?

Are you sure when you put the USB etc in that the boot order is correct and not still defaulting to the main drive? Try changing all your bios boot devices to cancelled and/or ensure the USB/DVD drive is bootable as the primary option. Then see if it will let you do a repair install on windows/get into safe mode (a damn site harder tasks on win10 than it should be!)

Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean by RAM in UEFI? Do you mean speed? I've tried the BIOS default (2400mhz I think), both XMP profiles, and then downclocking (2133). Have tried both sticks simultaneously and individually in every slot.

Have tried multiple BIOS - factory default, v30, v35 and v36 (the mobo inbuilt bios flash function works)

On the 2nd part - I can enter the BIOS so can select boot to the pen drive to ensure it is going to the USB (but yes I can also see the boot order and the USB installation media has been ahead of the hard drive). Unfortunately it bootloops after like a second, I never get to a Windows icon / options screen (same for the linux live CD).

Associate
Did you enable game mode on the bios?

Was Windows a fresh install?

Is this game boost or something else. I haven't tried enabling game mode in the bios for a boot, I guess I'll give it a go. I did try toggling it at one point (the CPU fan started spinning faster/louder).

Soldato
Is this game boost or something else. I haven't tried enabling game mode in the bios for a boot, I guess I'll give it a go. I did try toggling it at one point (the CPU fan started spinning faster/louder).
Your best to keep it disabled as it sets an all core overclock on the CPU which can cause instability and reboots which is why I thought I'd ask.

Try setting your boot to csm mode.

Last edited:
Associate
Your best to keep it disabled as it sets an all core overclock on the CPU which can cause instability and reboots which is why I thought I'd ask.

Try setting your boot to csm mode.

Thanks. I've given up after trying everything - I don't think I can do anything else without any more spare parts (I've already wasted money on more thermal paste and another PSU). Going to RMA the 2nd CPU and let the retailer test, maybe I just got 2 duds in a row.

Soldato
what are the RAM timings and voltages set to? What are the manufacturer's recommended RAM settings? How do the two compare? Have you manually set the RAM voltage? I found the auto setting on my MSI board to be a joke and trying to put too much voltage into them. I had to manually set it to prevent this.

Back
Top Bottom