**** Official OnePlus 8/OnePlus 8 Pro Thread ****

Soldato
Just had an email from OnePlus talking about their new 120Hz display which they are releasing this year. That means that either the OnePlus 8 or the OnePlus 8 Pro is going to have it.

Anyone planning on upgrading? My OnePlus 6 is starting to look a little beaten up.

Soldato
Specific to the display I'd like it to have a less pronounced curve than the 7t pro and less rounded corners like those on the Note 10.

120hz is good :)

Soldato
The only thing OnePlus could implement to make me even consider upgrading from my 7T Pro is wireless charging. 120hz should be excellent but the jump from 60 to 90 is much more significant. Indeed quite a few people even saying they can barely (if at all) tell the difference between 60 and 90 so 120 will be totally lost on them. I have a 120hz which I could not do without but I'll even admit the difference betwen 100 and 120 is only noticeable in the most particular of circumstances.

Man of Honour
Can't notice the difference between 60 and 90 so this would be wasted on me. I can see anything coming that would make me jump from my 7 pro to the 8 series, I'll probably wait for the 9.

Soldato
There's a pin hole camera on all the leaked renders so no reason for me to upgrade from the 7TP.

The display has a built in MEMC chip which will interpolate extra frames like some TVs do, and I don't really like the feature when watching media, but will be interesting to see if it will really benefit phones.

A2Z

A2Z

Soldato
My 6T is running as great today as it was when I got it 14 months ago, could easily carry on using it for years but I am starting to get the upgrade itch. Bought my girlfriend the 5T 24 months ago so it's very tempting to get a couple of 8's for us both as a nice upgrade, will see how it looks when it's officially announced.

Soldato
My 6T is running as great today as it was when I got it 14 months ago, could easily carry on using it for years but I am starting to get the upgrade itch. Bought my girlfriend the 5T 24 months ago so it's very tempting to get a couple of 8's for us both as a nice upgrade, will see how it looks when it's officially announced.
Standard procedure is to buy yourself a nice new shiny and give the 6T to the OH :p

Caporegime
Can't notice the difference between 60 and 90 so this would be wasted on me. I can see anything coming that would make me jump from my 7 pro to the 8 series, I'll probably wait for the 9.

I don't see the need personally on a phone. Why would you need anything above 30 even?

There is a reason why you can't tell the difference phone content isn't built for high res screens. You need fast moving images like a FPS game.

Soldato
There is a reason why you can't tell the difference phone content isn't built for high res screens. You need fast moving images like a FPS game.

Plenty of people can see the difference. Find me a review of a 90 hz OP phone that doesn't rave about its smoothness. Bonus points if you can also find a review that doesn't use the word "buttery".

Associate
Yeah I could absolutely tell the difference between 60 and 90Hz when I went looking at phones last year. Ultimately I didn't feel like it was necessary for the phone I was buying, but if I have it on my phone, I'll definitely make use of it.

I've heard some apps dont actually support 90 or 120Hz, although I don't know how common or uncommon that is. I imagine all the big social media apps support it, as scrolling content is noticeably affected by refresh rate?

Soldato
It honestly depends on what you do with the phone. With browsing at least I notice the difference if you scroll a lot. Some games such as Pokémon GO has a huge difference as well. But for more basic usage it will be harder to notice.

I've been using this app to force 90Hz but it doesn't work for all apps, but it's a quick way to test if an app does benefit from the higher refresh rate: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.arter97.auto90

Soldato
I don't really notice the difference between 60 & 90 and I regularly alternate between OP7T and Pixel 2 XL.

I'm really impressed with the OP7T so might just skip an upgrade this year, however I'll keep an eye out for the 8 just in case it tempts me.

I can't see me returning to Pixel after experiencing OnePlus.

Soldato
I don't really notice the difference between 60 & 90 and I regularly alternate between OP7T and Pixel 2 XL.

I'm really impressed with the OP7T so might just skip an upgrade this year, however I'll keep an eye out for the 8 just in case it tempts me.

I can't see me returning to Pixel after experiencing OnePlus.

The difference between 60 & 90 to me is super subtle, the experience overall just feels slightly smoother.

60hz vs 120hz
https://twitter.com/PeteLau/status/1217448777524510720

Back
Top Bottom