**** Official OnePlus 8/OnePlus 8 Pro Thread ****

Soldato
If OP are hoping to move into the premium bracket, I'd like to see them produce a range of phones where the specs are the same/similar, but differentiated by size. And then maybe a cheaper model, in the same way Apple does with the 11 Pro/Max and the plain old 11 being the intro model.

Soldato
They need t
The camera's are hardly trashy - the camera on the 7T Pro is excellent for all intents and purposes and I have yet to be le down by it. It is definitely a cut above the 6T camera, I'll fully admit it was average at best. Premium can also mean different things to different people. Since getting my 7T Pro I won't touch anything that has a notch or a cutout in the display. If I was to highlight one thing that holds it back from being truly premium (IMO) it's the wireless charging, or lack thereof. I don't miss it really since the warp charge and battery life are so good but it would still be nice to have.

Soldato
Oppo Find X2 Pro reviews are up. Given how these phones have generally been a precursor for what the new OnePlus devices will be like it could be a useful insight. They've definitely abandoned the pop up camera for the hole punch *sigh*.

Soldato
Oppo Find X2 Pro reviews are up. Given how these phones have generally been a precursor for what the new OnePlus devices will be like it could be a useful insight.

The X2 Pro has an RRP of 1199 euros, so let's hope that OnePlus will not follow the Oppo lead when it comes to price.

1199 euros!

Soldato
They are surely pricing themselves out the market. People will pay that much for some brands but for oppo in not so sure. They're not exactly a big player in the game

Soldato
So if the rumours are true the OnePlus 8 (well one of them anyway) will feature wireless charging - and apparently 30w wireless at that. I wonder what the uptake of that will be? I did a quick scour on Amazon and eBay and there isn't exactly a huge market of 30w wireless chargers. You can bet the phones won't ship with them and given the way OnePlus charges for its accessories, nigh on £50 for a Warp Charger and cable, any wireless charger they sell is going to be mega bucks - I would guess £70-£80 minimum. Surely that will price a lot of people out of it? I'm not familiar with the specifics but if they implement their own proprietary format then we can forget about using all those 10w/15w pads we have. They might do a Pixel 3 and max out at 5w on a third party charger.

On the flip side, coming back to the Oppo which features 65w wired charging and no wirelss, will OnePlus plump for this and overlook wireless once more?

Man of Honour
If the battery is as good as the 7 series and they keep warp charging then wireless doesn't really make any difference to me.

I've had it on and off over a few different phones but my 7 pro will happily last a day of heavy use and on the rare occasion I've not charged it over night 15 minutes on warp charge will easily top it back up to last all day again.

Soldato
If the battery is as good as the 7 series and they keep warp charging then wireless doesn't really make any difference to me.

I've had it on and off over a few different phones but my 7 pro will happily last a day of heavy use and on the rare occasion I've not charged it over night 15 minutes on warp charge will easily top it back up to last all day again.
Exact same here. I have gone between Samsung and OnePlus for the past 3-4 years (with a Pixel XL and 2XL in mix as well) and I can definitely live without wireless charging, especially given how fast the warp charging is and how good the battery life is. It would just be nice to have it but it's a luxury at best.

Soldato
OP
I'd quite like wireless charging, but I've never had it on any of my phones so I could live without it. I'm just imagining myself putting my phone on my bedside table to charge before I go to sleep. I often listen to music on my phone at night, so being able to charge at the same time would be quite cool, but I certainly don't need it.

Soldato
Hmm. Honestly I'd have preferred to see some sort of 60w fast charging instead of the 30w wired and wireless offerings, it would have offered something more and different from the main competition. I also mentioned previously, where are these 30w wireless chargers coming from? There isn't a massive market for them, particularly in the UK, and they will be bloomin expensive.

I'm also disappointed they ditched the pop up camera. Much happier with my all screen display on my 7T Pro. Otherwise the internals look spot on and 120hz will be nice. The article mentions the 8 Pro will be a significant jump from the 7T Pro but I just don't see it.

Soldato
I saw tests between 25 and 45w charging on the S20 series and the difference between zero to 100pc times wasn't that much. No more than 10 mins iirc.

30w charging should see a dead phone at full in less than 60 mins or at 50pc in less than 30 mins. Are those few mins so important?

Otherwise the OP8 Pro seems okay - lots of people have been waiting for wireless and an IP rating. I'm disappointed that it looks identical to the OP7 Pro series. Not because those were bad looking phones, just because the curve was too much for my personal tastes.

Edit - I'm getting this feeling that the base price will jump £100 this year for 8/256, blamed on 5g. I hope not since that might be the prompt I need to wait for the iphone 12 series instead.

Soldato
The pricing could be the big tell. Even accounting for inflation and money grabbing these phone's don't deserve to be significantly more expensive than the 7T series. You know (and I never thought I'd say this) as curves go the 7/7T Pro curves aren't that bad, for me anyway. I never liked curved displays but unfortunately that's just the way the market was going. That being said I prefer the OP ones as they are more gradual and less pronounces than others and they're definitely much better than those silly waterfall displays.
With regards to the charging, I totally agree about the 25-45W comparisons on the Samsung phones however I think some of that is down to a bottleneck on the battery tech itself. But when you compare 30W to the Super VOOC2 that the new Oppo has then there is a clear improvement. Again it will depend on the user as to what's useful and what isn't. Some are happy having their phone rest on a 5 or 10W wireless pad for 8-10 hours a day and others like having a quick 30-45min top up via the cable with no need to worry about charging for another day.

Soldato
I'll keep my OP7 Pro for the time being. A punch hole camera seems like a step backwards from the popup camera I currently have. As I very rarely use a selfie camera I much prefer having a full screen.

Back
Top Bottom