**** Official OnePlus 8/OnePlus 8 Pro Thread ****

Soldato
Which only makes the OP decision to jump so enthusiastically on the price escalator seem even more bizarre. Of course they are far from alone in doing this. It seems like every marketing team for every major manufacturer thinks that a global pandemic is a swell time to significantly jack up asking prices.

Well these decisions are made years in advance really and it always seemed their long term strategy to get into the upper end of pricing, especially since the 7 series.

They know they have a unique selling point in their OS over rival Chinese manufacturers. I'm sure in hindsight, if they had a crystal ball they may have had a different strategy, but Nord also represents part of it to plug the mid range market gap left behind by the new pricing.

I think bar Apple most flagships will suffer this year due a combination of the virus and general apathy towards high end phones. 2020 seems to be the year the midrange will really hit its stride so may see even more exciting offerings come 2021.

Soldato
Which only makes the OP decision to jump so enthusiastically on the price escalator seem even more bizarre. Of course they are far from alone in doing this. It seems like every marketing team for every major manufacturer thinks that a global pandemic is a swell time to significantly jack up asking prices.

I'm a little confused by this tbh. Who's done this? OnePlus released their cheapest device in years, for example. Google have done the same.

Soldato
I'm a little confused by this tbh. Who's done this? OnePlus released their cheapest device in years, for example. Google have done the same.

I was specifically referring to the OP 8 Pro since this part of the discussion stemmed from the £100 price reduction of the Pro.

Pretty much every other flagship this year has gone up in price from the last year equivalent, hence the price escalator. The clearest examples being the S20 Ultra and Note 20 Ultra.

Soldato
I was specifically referring to the OP 8 Pro since this part of the discussion stemmed from the £100 price reduction of the Pro.

I'm not going to lie, I was thinking the OP8P had been released before lockdown, but it hadn't, it was mid April. Tbf though, as said above, I would expect these things are set a reasonable bit in advance. I would also suggest they raised the spec on the OP8P so the price hike of... £100(?) is justifiable on the 7T, rather than labelling it as 'jacking up the price'.

Soldato
Even at this reduced price it still costs more than what I paid for my 7T Pro at launch. Admittedly I used 5% student discount but not counting that it's basically the same price. And many would argue, myself included, that the 7T Pro is actually a better device.

Soldato
I'm not going to lie, I was thinking the OP8P had been released before lockdown, but it hadn't, it was mid April. Tbf though, as said above, I would expect these things are set a reasonable bit in advance. I would also suggest they raised the spec on the OP8P so the price hike of... £100(?) is justifiable on the 7T, rather than labelling it as 'jacking up the price'.

The Pro got wireless charging and an IP rating iirc, as well as reduced storage on the base model to "compensate." Not £100 worth.

EDIT - as for the 'set in advance' argument, I can't understand it. Aren't companies meant to be responsive to demand.

"Ere lads, this glurbal pandemic thing's a bit of a lark, innit? Maybe, wot wiv millions being out of work and that, we should, you know, think about changing our prices a bit?"

"Lol! The road map says we're charging +£100 for this model! So that's what we're charging, dumb***"

Soldato
And many would argue, myself included, that the 7T Pro is actually a better device.

The Pro got wireless charging and an IP rating iirc

OP8Pro has the newer chipset, 120hz (and I think generally accepted better) screen, better and more cameras and a bigger battery and tbf IP rating and wireless charging will cost them per device too. I know many would say upgrading from the 7T Pro to the 8 Pro isn't worth while (I would agree) and maybe even the 7T Pro is a better buy for your money, but I don't know I've seen anyone say the 7T Pro is actually better than the 8 Pro? (I would also add, I think it's like with any tech, if you go top end the price gets higher, quicker. If you go second or third best, you save 30-40%. The 8 Pro went right up there really.)

Also, maybe we got screwed a little in the UK? The US price hike was only $70. Interesting infographic at the bottom of that page. I get your point if you look at the fully specced Pro. That is quite a price jump.

Soldato
OP8Pro has the newer chipset, 120hz (and I think generally accepted better) screen, better and more cameras and a bigger battery and tbf IP rating and wireless charging will cost them per device too. I know many would say upgrading from the 7T Pro to the 8 Pro isn't worth while (I would agree) and maybe even the 7T Pro is a better buy for your money, but I don't know I've seen anyone say the 7T Pro is actually better than the 8 Pro?

Also, maybe we got screwed a little in the UK? The US price hike was only $70. Interesting infographic at the bottom of that page. I get your point if you look at the fully specced Pro. That is quite a price jump.
If I was buying either outright now then yes 8 Pro is probably the sensible choice but as you say not worth the upgrade.
I would argue the 8 Pro screen is not better. There seem to be quite a few complaints about tint on the 8 Pro screen although I accept that could be a batch issue. As you have pointed out yourself previously you haven't noticed refresh rates above 60hz and I'd say many people certainly don't notice the jump from 90 to 120hz. My main gripe with the display however is the notch, that is definitely a step back from the 7T Pro IMO.
And finally the base storage is half of the 7T Pro, that could be important to some people.

Soldato
As you have pointed out yourself previously you haven't noticed refresh rates above 60hz and I'd say many people certainly don't notice the jump from 90 to 120hz.

Of course, just because I personally can't see a difference doesn't mean they are the same and there is no difference. :) I would swear my BT headphones are just as good as any wired ones, but many will tell me I'm wrong.

My main gripe with the display however is the notch, that is definitely a step back from the 7T Pro IMO.

As you say, that is opinion though. I don't mind a notch. :)

Soldato
Yeah, the Nord was fine. Great screen, reasonable camera, strong speaker, there was nothing making me hurry back to the Pixel 4. It's interesting really, go back 3 or 4 years and I was buying flagship, but flagship then was £700 to £800. Now flagship is £1300ish, but I've stayed around the £700 to £800 marker and don't feel like I'm missing out on anything. If I had to use the Nord as my daily going forward, I wouldn't be overly bothered...

Soldato
Shot on the 8 Pro Macro cam

uc

Associate
As much as I like Oxygen OS, the camera is always a let down. Their phones are getting bigger and pricier. I imported the Snapdragon model of the S20 for £550 instead.

Soldato
In spite of the reviews saying that the OP8 Pro camera is great, I didn't like it much at all. Good at night, horribly inconsistent during the day.
As you and benparker are saying, i too find it's the camera which is just always a let down. Had some recent photos look odd which was using the ultrawide at the time.

I love the speed of the phone, but considering switching back to my S10+ or wait to see how the Pixel 5 turns out.

Back
Top Bottom