****Official Project CARS thread****

Associate
Wonder if some people are not doing the basics like braking in as straight a line as possible before turning, rather than trying to brake whilst turning. Also need smooth inputs on steering and throttle.

Otherwise the cars will handle poorly :p

Soldato
but my mine gripe is with the collision side of things, it's just stupid. I've restarted the race like 20 times, (catalunya) so many times I've gone to the first corner in the pack, you scrape the side of another car or someone touches you.....and it's like BOOM... Your car gets flung in the air and on its roof. I've watched the replays and it's just hilarious

I have to agree somewhat with this, it's an area the game isn't great at. Twice now in single seaters I've brushed against the side of another car that has turned in on me and it has launched me into a skyward spiral in a not-very-convincing crash.

What the hell's with the cracks appearing on the track as well after a crash like that, would that actually happen? :eek:

Soldato
I'm going to play with the settings a bit more and see if I can improve things although it's a pain in the butt having to quit the race to change the settings.

The only way I can describe it is like playing with a keyboard. I find it really hard to drive smoothly as it always feels like every input is amplified.

Soldato
I'm going to play with the settings a bit more and see if I can improve things although it's a pain in the butt having to quit the race to change the settings.

The only way I can describe it is like playing with a keyboard. I find it really hard to drive smoothly as it always feels like every input is amplified.

Im debating getting the game or not, albeit on pc, but im not sure if its worth it with just a controller so let us know how you get on as it may help my decision!

I did have a quick google about and people have put up there best settings to use etc so maybe that could help

Soldato

I did have that problem on the default PS4 settings for Modes 1, 2 and 3. Switching to tweaked Mode 2 settings posted elsewhere in this thread basically eliminated any twitchiness for me.

Soldato
I cannot get the handling right and tbh I think it's the game. None of the cars feel right to me they just dart left or right it's just not very realistic. I have tried playing with the settings but it makes little difference. I think the way the game handles the steering of the cars is just naff.

Are they actually twitchy or just seem like it? I use the settings posted earlier in the thread and a very small amount of movement of the stick causes the wheel in game to turn a lot but the car doesn't turn that much and it throws me. If I drive where I can't see the wheel then the cars feel fine.

Associate
I'm finding the cars handle very realistically in most circumstances at least from the limited time in played up to now, you only need to watch a little touring car racing to realise how small contact is needed sometimes to knock the car way of course, obviously this isn't always the case, but on the limit of grip, it doesn't take much. There is still work required here though, as sometimes the consequence of a small touch are unrealistic (from what i've seen on YouTube)

I've tried a few different cars types now, and the driving style needed for each car can differ quite drastically from car to car, as would be the case in real life when driving close to the limit.

Have come across an issue with the steering locking in one direction every now and then (locking left even though i've turned right for example), this is on the XB1.

Started career mode last night in the clio cup. Finding it very difficult to drive with cold tyres at the start of warm up and qualifying, yet the other cars don't seem to have too much trouble running decent times straight out the pits. Maybe it's just because of the controller issues/twitchiness that are making this element a little more difficult than it should be.

Got to say though the handle once the tires are up to temp is pretty much spot on, off throttle oversteer, understeer on brakes and acceleration, etc (i used to own a clio 182 that was very similar when driven hard)

I think most of the negativity about this game is coming from gamers that are used to playing Gran Turismo and Forza which are a little more Arcade style (granted they're not full on Arcade style but they're not proper Sim racers) rather than Sim racers. I noticed this a little when going between Forza 5 and Forza Horizon 2, the cars in FH2 handled far less realistically than they did in Forza 5. This game is just another level when it comes to Sim racing over anything else on consoles every made.

Associate
theres definitely something up with the weather physics, ive noticed a couple of times now that ive had rain tyres on and i could keep up with the slicks and the ai have slicks on and could keep up with me in the rain when i was on rain tyres.

Just been playing my career mode and was doing a vintage F1 Lotus race at zolder, it started off dry and then rain after the 1st lap we were all on slicks but on the last lap it was really raining but by the end the AI cars just flew past me after i had built up a 5 sec gap and i could hardly touch the throttle. So i thought id do a little test, i restarted the race but i went for wet tyres. I could keep pace with the AI on slicks and whe it rained again they didnt really suffer much.

Anyone else come across this ingame? Tbh i thought that they would be a big difference between tyres and using the incorrectly?

Soldato
Whats the deal with Xbox 1 steering wheels? the game comes today but i need to get one for my race seat.

I love the wheel on the 360, are there any out that are comparable to that?

Associate
Whats the deal with Xbox 1 steering wheels? the game comes today but i need to get one for my race seat.

I love the wheel on the 360, are there any out that are comparable to that?

Most XB1 uses seem to use the Thrustmaster TX (I went for this option after purchasing the game, though i've not yet received it as it was on preorder until Monday). There is also the MadCatz wheel, which looks good, but there isn't as many reviews on this.

And there is a cheaper Thrustmaster Wheel with no force feedback which is a 1/3 of the cost.

Soldato
Thanks Darryl, i was hoping not to have to that much on a wheel, the 360 wheel with force feedback was only about £79.

Seems a bit steep on the Xb1

Soldato
I raced against a few controller users yesterday. They don't pretty well... Well, most apart from one.

I wasn't that bad was I ? ;) You were lucky I didn't pass you on the start/finish on the last lap :p

I assume he meant me at Spa, Donnington went well but for some reason I could not get round Spa cleanly and then the bug ruined any chance I had of finishing. Did a 15 lap race of Spa earlier and got my time down to 1:22, 1:21 might be possible with a perfect lap but I can't see me matching the randoms hitting 1:20's.

I still struggle with consistency with a controller though hopefully more practice will fix that. However the more I play the more my temptation to order a wheel :D

Associate
Thanks Darryl, i was hoping not to have to that much on a wheel, the 360 wheel with force feedback was only about £79.

Seems a bit steep on the Xb1

Agreed, I'm hoping it's worth the money. I've watched a few Youtube videos and it does seem to be a big step up on anything available for the 360. I'm hoping it'll last me until the next generation of consoles to be honest, If it does i'll be happy enough with what i paid for it.

Soldato
Thats a good point, come to think of the hours ive put through the original wheel, the cost would justify itself.. that can be my payday investment:D

Soldato
I still cannot get on with the handling in this. I have spent hours trying different settings but the cars still feel far to sensitive and floaty to me.

I like the game just the cars all feel awful and nothing like how a car should feel. I really think it needs a wheel or something rather than the controller.

Associate
I still cannot get on with the handling in this. I have spent hours trying different settings but the cars still feel far to sensitive and floaty to me.

I like the game just the cars all feel awful and nothing like how a car should feel. I really think it needs a wheel or something rather than the controller.

On the x1 the controls sre broken and thats straight from the devs. Why so many insist the controls are fine i will never know. They have already sent a patch to ms so hopefully wont be too long before i can play the game now

Back
Top Bottom