** Official ** Summer 2010 Transfer Thread - Signings, Sightings and Rumor's in Here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Arsenal and Man Utd will most probably end up with one of Akinfeev, Neuer or Lloris each. Would prefer either of the latter

Aguero has potential, he's strong and has good (quick) movement up front, his finishing lets him down but he's only 21 and no 21 year old striker is ever a particularly consistent finisher. When he gets older he'll probably be great

Last edited:
Soldato
Just activity would be good, it's good to see fergie saying 1-2 signings compared to the past "the squad needs no improvements" :)

This.

I'm really in two minds about whether I want United to win the title. At least if we lose it, SAF might consider strengthening and cutting away dead wood, especially in midfield.

I fear winning it might gloss over the fact that the squad needs serious work to challenge properly next season.

Caporegime
This.

I'm really in two minds about whether I want United to win the title. At least if we lose it, SAF might consider strengthening and cutting away dead wood, especially in midfield.

I fear winning it might gloss over the fact that the squad needs serious work to challenge properly next season.

i think he has been restricted a lot by the glazer family, rather than saying that and seeming like he isnt in full control, he would rather say that the squad is fine.

after losing tevez and ronaldo, 2 of the best players in the world, he has only brought in valencia, who is similar to nani. he should sell berbatov and owen. buy villa and ribery/silva.

Soldato
i think he has been restricted a lot by the glazer family, rather than saying that and seeming like he isnt in full control, he would rather say that the squad is fine.

after losing tevez and ronaldo, 2 of the best players in the world, he has only brought in valencia, who is similar to nani. he should sell berbatov and owen. buy villa and ribery/silva.

Wonders if you have watched Utd consistantly recently....

1) Tevez has never been one of the best players in the world - he needs several back to back seasons before even being considered that, and last season he went off and on like an ambulance light - and spent more time whinging to the press

2)Nani is the poor man's Valencia in many ways (hopefully I dont have to explain why)

3) Selling Berba and Owen would generate £30m at most - where do you expect Utd to get the other £40m or so to sign those players mentioned (without considering the wages they would want - which Utd are highly unlikely to want to give to a new signing)

I totally agree about winning the title (whether we win or lose it, this season has been average at best for all top teams), but I dont believe we need a lot of additions immediately necessarily (although ti would be good if it happened, its just not likely)

1) gk (although I would prefer not this could get put off another season, although we could lose out on the best options if this happens)

2) a quality striker for when Rooney is rested, who can play on his own or with Rooney /Macheda

3) Reliable left winger (although I know a lot of people want to give Nani yet another chance)

If Vidic is sold (due to not wanting to extend his contract), then a replacement will be necessary with Rio's constant injury's and Smalling wont be ready for more than the odd CC game

We have plenty of cover at Right full back with OShea/Brown / Rafael ....with the latter hopefully getting a lot more games, as I believe its just experience holding him back before he becomes automatic 1st choice

Whether we like it or not Scholes will play 20 - 30 games at least, Fletcher will play 40 or more, Giggs will probably play same as Scholes in varying positions, Park will get 20+ , Valencia will probably play 40-50, Im praying OH makes a decent recovery but whether a mid-field signing is made to cover if he doesnt is anyone's guess, and I still think Carrick is worth giving another season to even though he hasnt been great this season - and we still have a lot of youngsters that deserve squad numbers too

Without serious injury or a senior /squad player of promise being totally ****** by a new player coming in ahead of them - Im not sure where else is definitely needed

(Hopefully selling Berba, Foster /Pig, Welbeck, (Nani) which would probably generate under £40m at a guess)

Last edited:
Soldato
Whether we like it or not Scholes will play 20 - 30 games at least, Fletcher will play 40 or more, Giggs will probably play same as Scholes in varying positions, Park will get 20+ , Valencia will probably play 40-50, Im praying OH makes a decent recovery but whether a mid-field signing is made to cover if he doesnt is anyone's guess, and I still think Carrick is worth giving another season to even though he hasnt been great this season - and we still have a lot of youngsters that deserve squad numbers too

:mad: I keep reading rubbish like the above about Scholes and Giggs yet had it not been for Scholes we'd be at least 6 points worse off due to his winning goals at both Wolves and City, likewise Giggs has more than played his part this season

United fans who want rid of Scholes and Giggs now will really praying for them in a couple of years time when we're faced with similar games when today's johnny come lately's fail to do the business like those two have and are still doing for us

Caporegime
One late goal does not mean Scholes is suddenly super (although he is playing a lot better recently) Compare Scholes scoring stats to Lampard and Fabregas and you'll see why we need a better offensive midfielder. Giggs has been really **** lately, ever since he came back from that arm injury. I lost track of how many times he gave the ball away against City.

Soldato
One late goal does not mean Scholes is suddenly super (although he is playing a lot better recently) Compare Scholes scoring stats to Lampard and Fabregas and you'll see why we need a better offensive midfielder. Giggs has been really **** lately, ever since he came back from that arm injury. I lost track of how many times he gave the ball away against City.

2 late goals ;)

And sure Scholes wont score as many these days as Fabregas and Lampard but he is much older than both and I highly doubt Lampard when aged 35 will still be playing at the very highest level

It will be a sad sad day when Scholes & Giggs call it a day and only then will the majority realise the contribution they're still making today

Caporegime
2 late goals ;)

And sure Scholes wont score as many these days as Fabregas and Lampard but he is much older than both and I highly doubt Lampard when aged 35 will still be playing at the very highest level

It will be a sad sad day when Scholes & Giggs call it a day and only then will the majority realise the contribution they're still making today

Oh of course it'll be a sad day when they retire don't get me wrong. But we need to improve the amount of goals we get from central midfield, as currently it's humiliating. I think Scholes is top with 7 I think, the next person might actually be Gibson, that's how bad our midfield is.

Man of Honour
Indeed, Carrick and Fletcher are simply not Goalscorers at all.

Would be a dream I think to get someone like Gourcuff in to play where Scholes does (when attacking) but that's very unlikely, plenty of other options for great players there though, will be interesting to see what we get :p

Soldato

I'm sure that when they took control they specifically said that the debt would not affect the club's ability in the transfer market?

I don't believe in panic buying and paying over the odds, but we should be able to at least compete with the elite European clubs if needed to.

Dead wood?

Yeah, the players who simply need to accept that they've done all they can for the club. One who immediately springs to mind is Neville (a fantastic player in his day, but just not quick enough anymore). Also I think Scholes has had his best days, he just seems to pick up bookings more than anything at the moment.

Soldato
To be honest it's no surprise that our quota of midfield goals has gone down considering the player we lost in the summer

High scoring midfielders are very hard to find, people point to Fabregas as being one but it seems he has one very high scoring season followed by a very low scoring one, Gerrard's goal return this season has been very poor and up until very recently so had Lampard's

You look around in Europe and Barca dont have a 20 goal a season midfielder (for all his qualities Xavi doesn't get many), Real dont have one, Bayern dont have one (I think Ribery has about 5 goals or something stupid like that) even Sneijder only has something like 8 goals

This season has been all about strikers and unless someone really picks their game up I reckon that's what next season will come down to as well which is why IMO we need to concentrate on getting another goal threat upfront for when Rooney isn't functioning, along with a bit of craft in midfield as well to create openings

Soldato
Yeah, the players who simply need to accept that they've done all they can for the club. One who immediately springs to mind is Neville (a fantastic player in his day, but just not quick enough anymore). Also I think Scholes has had his best days, he just seems to pick up bookings more than anything at the moment.

Neville has been pretty good in recent weeks, kept Ronaldinho quite, kept Ribery quite also, I will somewhat agree though that out of the 3 he is the one that might be surplus to requirements

Like I said though Scholes, without him we'd be at least 6 points worse off as in games where we had the likes of Rooney, Berbatov, Valencia & Nani all available to us it was him that popped up with the winning goals, not a bad contribution IMO

Soldato
:mad: I keep reading rubbish like the above about Scholes and Giggs yet had it not been for Scholes we'd be at least 6 points worse off due to his winning goals at both Wolves and City, likewise Giggs has more than played his part this season

United fans who want rid of Scholes and Giggs now will really praying for them in a couple of years time when we're faced with similar games when today's johnny come lately's fail to do the business like those two have and are still doing for us

and how many recless yellow / red cards for Scholes? How about a more dynamic AM with energy for whole games who doesnt need to be rested every few days come the end of the season?

The games are becoming more obvious when they pass both players by - yes they work hard, but sometimes that isnt enough. I never suggested they arent Utd heroes, they both will be for life but sometimes you just have to say enough is enough. Giggs still has a role, even Scholes - but Im sorry it shouldnt be for that amount of games (they are much more worth teaching younger players imo)

As for a year or two's time.....well maybe by then one of the kids will have grown up to be better than Gibson currently or to have bought someone of decent replacement value

To be honest it's no surprise that our quota of midfield goals has gone down considering the player we lost in the summer

Ronaldo was far too selfish to assist people most of the time, and Tevez ran around like the Energizer bunny but wasnt actually that productive infront of goal (and wouldnt necessarily add to midfield goals either) ....during his 2nd season anyway

Last edited:
Soldato
and how many recless yellow / red cards for Scholes? How about a more dynamic AM with energy for whole games who doesnt need to be rested every few days come the end of the season?

The games are becoming more obvious when they pass both players by - yes they work hard, but sometimes that isnt enough. I never suggested they arent Utd heroes, they both will be for life but sometimes you just have to say enough is enough. Giggs still has a role, even Scholes - but Im sorry it shouldnt be for that amount of games (they are much more worth teaching younger players imo)

As for a year or two's time.....well maybe by then one of the kids will have grown up to be better than Gibson currently or to have bought someone of decent replacement value

Scholes has never been able to tackle so nothing has changed there

As for games passing him by yes against teams that get in your face Scholes may have struggled but I remember the game at Spurs and Scholes was brilliant, likewise two of our four games with City this season he's been majestic and if anything we were crying out for him in the first leg of the Carling Cup semi and he was also in midfield when we played Arsenal off of the pitch at their ground so that's 4 games against teams that are currently placed 3rd, 4th & 5th where Scholes has still more than held his own

Not sure I agree that Giggs has been that bad since his return from injury as well, certainly against Blackburn he looked our best player and most likely to create something

Soldato
and in some of those matches (because we dont have anyone else) he is placed just infront of the back 4 as the holding player - where a big part of the game is tackling......

As I said 5 or 6 games he plays memorably well in........out of how many this season

Soldato
Giggs has had something of a resurgence this season, the switch in from the wing has done him good.

Scholes can certainly play well - it's just that when he has a poor game, it totally passes him by, we get dominated in midfield, he gets booked, and we may as well just play with ten.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom