** Official ** Summer 2010 Transfer Thread - Signings, Sightings and Rumor's in Here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
and in some of those matches (because we dont have anyone else) he is placed just infront of the back 4 as the holding player - where a big part of the game is tackling......

As I said 5 or 6 games he plays memorably well in........out of how many this season

That depends on your view of that position

You have the Makalele holding midfielder and then you have the Scholes/Carrick type, we dont ask them to be a protector of the back four, their job is to pick the ball up from the defence and create attacks. We have Fletch in midfield to run about and do the tackling, we dont need Scholes to do it and he's not asked to

How many games can you name then that Scholes has played badly, and by that I mean a stand out crap game because for my mind the games where he has been poor the same can be said of the rest of the team

Of course it's easier to blame age when trying to explain why Scholes has bad games as oppose to when Rooney for instance has bad games ;)

Soldato
OP
and how many recless yellow / red cards for Scholes? How about a more dynamic AM with energy for whole games who doesnt need to be rested every few days come the end of the season?

The games are becoming more obvious when they pass both players by - yes they work hard, but sometimes that isnt enough. I never suggested they arent Utd heroes, they both will be for life but sometimes you just have to say enough is enough. Giggs still has a role, even Scholes - but Im sorry it shouldnt be for that amount of games (they are much more worth teaching younger players imo)

Funny you should say that, I was at a fundraising dinner a few weeks back and Lee Sharpe was the guest speaker. He was telling the audience how Paul Scholes was 45 minutes away from not making it at Old Trafford. Him and a few of the more senior pro's were watching an indoor game at the Cliff along with Fergie and Brian Kidd. A few of the household names had already been earmarked to get a full time contract (Beckham, Neville, Butt) Yet Fergie wasn't convinced by this small ginger chap. With 20 minutes to go, he bagged 4 goals and set up two more which earned him his contract.

Anyway I think the problem with Scholes this season is in part down to enigma that is Michael Carrick. Scholsey simply is not the player to ghost into the box week in week out. His game is more suited to playing deeper and reading the game and picking the passes, all of which is he does more consistently than what Carrick does. Is he the man to drive a midfield forward no. And he certainly is not one for going up against a more dynamic Gerrard or Essien for 90 minutes. However if you want somebody to stretch a game with his range of passing or offer a bit of experience to some of the younger charges then I don't think you will go too far wrong with Scholse

What is needed is someone with a bit more drive and fizz playing in front of him. Someone who can make them lung busting runs into the box in the 1st minute and the last minute. Someone who can break up play on the edge of our box and be up the field a minute later to place a delicate shot past the keeper. I still think we missed the boat with Sneijder. Van Der Vaart would not be a bad option but his wage demands would be prohibitive.

Soldato
I personaly think that one of the roles of the player who has to sit back is as a hard tackler and decent passer of the ball to the playmaker, now if Scholes is going to be the (deeper lying than yesteryear) play maker, we need a really good tackler along side him - with the dynamo that is Fletcher further upfield

Admittedly this is based around the fact that therefore we are going 4 -3 -3 /4 - 5 - 1, and that comes about because of Berba not working in the team as well as he is capable of. That holding player is already at the club....if only he could get fit after his double knee op.....but otherwise Utd really need someone from the same mould.

I like Scholes (and Giggs for that matter) I just dont think constantly changing the 1st XI , without considering injuries, is the way to go - as constant a team week in week out (for EPL and CL games) is how to get more consistant results, and neither of those players can play that amount of games anymore (unfortunately)

Caporegime
Eidur Gudjohnsen hopes to secure a permanent move to Tottenham once his loan spell expires.

The Icelandic international has impressed at White Hart Lane since his arrival on loan from Monaco during the January transfer window.

Gudjohnsen has played a key role in Tottenham's push to finish in fourth spot and the former Chelsea man would relish staying with Harry Redknapp's men.

"It was like a breath of fresh air coming here," Gudjohnsen told the Daily Star.

"I'm already tempted to stay if the option is there, it's something we have to sit down and talk about at the end of the season."

Spurs are currently in fourth place, but Gudjohnsen admits their clash with Manchester City next month could decide who finishes in the coveted UEFA Champions League spot.

"We have to go to City still, it's a massive game and potentially a final for the fourth place," added Gudjohnsen.

Decision

The 31-year-old has explained his reasons for snubbing West Ham at the last minute to make the move to Tottenham, saying he wanted to be playing for a side challenging at the top end of the table rather than one battling to avoid relegation.

"It was either joining a team fighting for a Champions League place or a team fighting not to be relegated," noted Gudjohnsen.

"Gianfranco wanted me at West Ham and was disappointed. The fact he was disappointed must mean he liked me as a player.

"I'm sure during his career Gianfranco probably left people a bit disappointed himself."

Man of Honour
Given his refusal to publically back Almunia, and the recent antics of FlappyHandski I'd like to see Wenger stick some cheeky bids in for some English keepers to bolster our passport quota:

Kirkland
Foster
Robinson
Hart

See what comes of that, 2 are reserve players for their current clubs (albeit potential rivals for 4th place) and 2 are at unfashionable clubs. Maybe add Green to that list as well.

Then at centreback there has to be a concern as Gallas, Campbell, Silvestre and Senderos are all out of contract in the summer. That's a staggering FOUR of our top 5 CBs and assuming Song continues in midfield it leaves us with a pairing of Vermaelen and Djourou with Eastmond/Song as backup. I'd imagine that if Gallas leaves Campbell will sign a new deal but you never know, maybe some texan oil baron will offer him a few million to play MLS.

Then finally with Wenger only having a year left on his deal and stating that he won't review it until it expires, plus uncertainty in the boardroom over recent developments, one has to ask the question whether he will be given a big pot of gold at this stage.

Caporegime
Given his refusal to publically back Almunia, and the recent antics of FlappyHandski I'd like to see Wenger stick some cheeky bids in for some English keepers to bolster our passport quota:

Kirkland
Foster
Robinson
Hart

See what comes of that, 2 are reserve players for their current clubs (albeit potential rivals for 4th place) and 2 are at unfashionable clubs. Maybe add Green to that list as well.

Then at centreback there has to be a concern as Gallas, Campbell, Silvestre and Senderos are all out of contract in the summer. That's a staggering FOUR of our top 5 CBs and assuming Song continues in midfield it leaves us with a pairing of Vermaelen and Djourou with Eastmond/Song as backup. I'd imagine that if Gallas leaves Campbell will sign a new deal but you never know, maybe some texan oil baron will offer him a few million to play MLS.

Then finally with Wenger only having a year left on his deal and stating that he won't review it until it expires, plus uncertainty in the boardroom over recent developments, one has to ask the question whether he will be given a big pot of gold at this stage.

I'd be surprised if Robinson would consider a move to Arsenal.

Caporegime
hm anderson was meant to be the new scholes i think. faster, better tackler can run with the ball, play a good pass...

i though anderson was going to turn out great. i still think he can but its more likely he will leave us now and fulfil his potential elsewhere, probably arsenal or back in brazil:( that makes me quite sad really.

Soldato
Bit of a moot point anyway as supposedly he had a trial at Arsenal and Wenger didn't rate him.

Too much body fat or a reflex test I believe

Sell:
Almunia
Fabianski
Diaby
Eduardo
Rosicky
+ Other fringe youth players as normal

Release:
Senderos
Silvestre
Gallas
Merida

Prompt Szczesny to the First team Squad, sign one more Keeper Lloris, although he might be too expensive. Offer Campbell a year deal + Coaching. Sign 2 CB's, and a Defensive Midfielder. 1 Winger. Sign Chamakh on a free.

That leaves us with:

GK Lloris/Szczesny

LB Clichy/Gibbs
RB Sagna/Eboue

CB Vermaelen/Djourou/Campbell/2 more

CM Song/Fabregas/Nasri/Ramsey/Wilshere/Denilson/Arshavin/1 more/1 Winger

FW van Persie/Walcott/Bendtner/Chamakh/Vela

Keep it fit. That will do me.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Prompt Szczesny to the First team Squad, sign one more Keeper Lloris, although he might be too expensive. Offer Campbell a year deal + Coaching. Sign 2 CB's, and a Defensive Midfielder. 1 Winger. Sign Chamakh on a free.

Would like to see:

Hugo Lloris
Chamakh
Eden Hazard
2 CB's
DM

Arsene did say that Lyon are a rich club so they'll have no reason to want to sell him blah blah blah, excuses excuses.....

Caporegime
Didn't Wenger inquire about Lloris but have it rejected by Lyon? That would say to me that he's not for sale to either of them, as Arsenal would generally stand a better chance of signing a French player than United.

a lot better french players have played for united than arsenal. barthez, evra, cantona, etc. im sure they both have as good a chance as each other.

Associate
Eh, I'm not saying it's impossible and that United don't have their own attractions, but I think in terms of cultural attraction Arsenal would have the edge because of their manager and fairly extensive francophone staff. Like the fat waiter and Spain.

Soldato
I think Arsenal should keep Diaby. On his day he can be a very dangerous player. Strong and skillful and capable of popping up with plenty of goals. With age will hopefully come consistency and I think getting rid of him now would be a mistake.

I also don't see why you would just release Gallas. He is more than capable of performing at the top level for at least another year.

Soldato
a lot better french players have played for united than arsenal. barthez, evra, cantona, etc. im sure they both have as good a chance as each other.

I'm not really sure how you can describe Barthez or Evra as a lot better than the likes of Henry, Vieira... :p

[ASSE]Hinchy;16410486 said:
I also don't see why you would just release Gallas. He is more than capable of performing at the top level for at least another year.

He'll want a 2 year deal, Arsenal will offer a 1 year deal I suspect. I wouldn't release him, I just think he will walk on a free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom