*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Caporegime
It's not the UDM that's the issue. It's the UDM-Pro. The UDM is pretty robust.
Hhhhm pretty sure it's been the UDM I have seen mixed responses for (the UDM-P is the rack mountable one right?) It's pricey but there's a lot of appeal having it in an all in one solution.

Soldato
No, it's the definitely the UDM-Pro that's the absolute disaster. That and the new UXG-Pro, but that's still in Beta so you can forgive it some issues.

And if you compare it against other 4x4 Wave2 all-in-one home routers it's not that expensive. It's £275 on the Unifi store at the moment I think? And a TP-Link or ASUS or Netgear cant add extra access points to the Unif controller. Or generally be controlled from anywhere in the world with the app.

Caporegime
Ah fair enough, I do remember reading about the Pro's own issues including getting UnifiOS off the ground. Issues I have read about the standard UDM revolved around it being intermittent, DPI not working properly and some reliability issues. Could be down to QC. Selling the Lite and LR could hopefully make the UDM around £200 which is pretty good.

Soldato
Hi,

I have Virgin cable broadband, the Virgin hub in modem mode, a router and a switch with 10 ethernet cables (one from each room in the house). If I wanted to replace everything with UniFi gear, how would you recommend I structure this? Ideally I'd want a WiFi repeater upstairs too, which I don't currently have.

Thanks!

Soldato
I'd start by asking why I'd want to replace everything. What are you wanting to achieve that connecting one or two UniFi APs to the existing setup wouldn't give you?

Soldato
Ideally I'd want a WiFi repeater upstairs

You really don't. Repeaters are junk. A vastly better option would be to add an additional access point upstairs. But, as @bremen1874 said, why are you looking to change? I like UniFi kit a lot but if you're having a specific problem then that could likely be sorted without replacing everything.

The fact that you mentioned WiFi upstairs makes me assume that's the driver here. If so, I'd probably buy 2 UniFi access points. Connect one downstairs and one upstairs then disable WiFi on the Virgin Hub.

Soldato
I'd start by asking why I'd want to replace everything. What are you wanting to achieve that connecting one or two UniFi APs to the existing setup wouldn't give you?

Reliability and a bit more control I think. I suppose I could just add an AP upstairs instead. The router is an Asus RT-AC1200G+.

You really don't. Repeaters are junk. A vastly better option would be to add an additional access point upstairs. But, as @bremen1874 said, why are you looking to change? I like UniFi kit a lot but if you're having a specific problem then that could likely be sorted without replacing everything.

My bad, I meant AP rather than repeater as I have Ethernet ports available for the AP to use. I'm struggling with signal from the Asus upstairs and outside (my car needs a reliable WiFi connection haha, what has the world come to?).

Soldato
What bit is unreliable? If it's the Asus router itself then a replacement might be a good idea, but it it's the Virgin Hub or Virgin itself then save your money. I can't think of any extra control you'd get with a full UniFi setup. You'd possibly get more visibility on what's going on, but the DPI stats in UniFi aren't reliable so I wouldn't suggest switching on the basis of getting them.

If I were in your boat I'd buy a couple of Ubiquiti AP-AC-Lite's. Install one upstairs and the other downstairs. Disable the WiFi on the Asus and you should be good to go. To keep things simple if you set the wifi network on the UniFi AP's to match what you're currently using on the Asus then you won't need to setup a new network on your clients.

Soldato
bad, I meant AP rather than repeater as I have Ethernet ports available for the AP to use. I'm struggling with signal from the Asus upstairs and outside (my car needs a reliable WiFi connection haha, what has the world come to?).

We’re seeing ‘garage’ access points becoming more and more common. Not only for OTA car updates but also for WLAN connections to EV chargers. Most EV wall box chargers are fitted outside the house or garage and that’s generally enough for the Wireless connection to be unreliable and then you need an external WLAN access point. We generally fit the AP-AC-Mesh.

Man of Honour
I've updated to Cloud Controller 6, I kind of wish I hadn't, I can't seem to edit any existing networks, only new ones I create. I think I will restore the VM that it's running on to before I updated it.

Soldato
What happens when you try to edit one? A couple of days ago I updated to 6.0.20 then yesterday to 6.0.22 and don't have any problems updating existing networks.

Edit - Seems there's problems using the 'new' settings. I don't use them so didn't notice a problem.

Back
Top Bottom