*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Man of Honour
What happens when you try to edit one? A couple of days ago I updated to 6.0.20 then yesterday to 6.0.22 and don't have any problems updating existing networks.

Edit - Seems there's problems using the 'new' settings. I don't use them so didn't notice a problem.
You're right, I updated again and used the classic UI and it works fine. What on earth are they thinking, using a UI which can't do network functions. :D

Soldato
You're right, I updated again and used the classic UI and it works fine. What on earth are they thinking, using a UI which can't do network functions. :D

It's a very Ubiquiti thing to do - release stuff that isn't ready.

To be fair to them though, they do state that the new settings as alpha so problems should be expected.
USOkHHR.png

Soldato
UDM is sitting at home. Can't wait for all of the ups and downs I am about to experience :D.

Really. I suspect the biggest ‘down’ you’ll experience is when you plug it in and it just works. My experience is that it all goes brown when folks try to get clever with it. Plug it into a known working internet connection and just work through the wizard. Once it’s up and running then knock yourself out configuring VPNs etc. If you see any of those threads that say you should SSH into it and manually upgrade it to beta firmware 1.8.02 before running the wizard then book the return courier before you touch the keyboard...

Soldato
I suppose it depends on what item you’re talking about but I when I had to upgrade my UDM to beta firmware no SSHing was necessary. You put the UDM into recovery made, connected to it via a network cable using a manually assigned IP address and uploaded the beta firmware through a web page. I say right now that such nonsense shouldn’t be necessary but for the prosumers/ pros who buy this equipment it’s not a major undertaking.

Caporegime
Really. I suspect the biggest ‘down’ you’ll experience is when you plug it in and it just works. My experience is that it all goes brown when folks try to get clever with it. Plug it into a known working internet connection and just work through the wizard. Once it’s up and running then knock yourself out configuring VPNs etc. If you see any of those threads that say you should SSH into it and manually upgrade it to beta firmware 1.8.02 before running the wizard then book the return courier before you touch the keyboard...
Been pretty good so far and I am getting a stronger connection on WiFi with my main rig. One stumbling block though - I can't see my Emby server from outside the home WiFi. I know something is blocking it (various sites confirm 8920 is blocked on my public IP) but can't figure what/why - have port forwarded 8920 and 8096 in Unifi and Windows Firewall rules look fine.

Edit - wasn't getting full throughput from my AP-LR with the SH3 next to it, now the UDM is plugged directly into the SH3 - full speed ahead. 40meg/sec is ridiculous!

Edit - Garden again is a complete blind spot but that was to be expected. Currently laying down an ethernet to an AP-LR in the kitchen.

Last edited:
Soldato
No, it's the definitely the UDM-Pro that's the absolute disaster. That and the new UXG-Pro, but that's still in Beta so you can forgive it some issues.

And if you compare it against other 4x4 Wave2 all-in-one home routers it's not that expensive. It's £275 on the Unifi store at the moment I think? And a TP-Link or ASUS or Netgear cant add extra access points to the Unif controller. Or generally be controlled from anywhere in the world with the app.
So the UDM pro is still a mess? :(

Associate
So the UDM pro is still a mess? :(
I've got a UDM Pro and it's been mostly fine. The one issue I had was that it wouldn't pick up my internet connection when I first set it up, this was apparently a known issue to do with timezones - the fix was to SSH on to it and manually set the time to the correct locale and set the actual time correctly, then it was immediately fine and I was able to complete the setup. This might have even been fixed in the latest firmware, I think mine was on 1.7.2 at the time. Since then it's been rock solid, no issues at all.

Man of Honour
Fingers crossed I will be moving to a house which can get full FTTP, I'll be going for the 900 Mb package, how does the USG Pro 4 deal with those speeds? Or is it time to consider a UDM?

Soldato
Fingers crossed I will be moving to a house which can get full FTTP, I'll be going for the 900 Mb package, how does the USG Pro 4 deal with those speeds? Or is it time to consider a UDM?

IIRC you'll be fine but you'd have to turn off all QoS, IDS/IPS, DPI functions to get the throughput.
Given you'd a have a new house, connection and have to set everything up again, i'd just take this time to upgrade to be honest.

Associate
I've spent all day on this and have given up now. Starting to wonder if it is even possible.

Goal- Set up a stand alone WiFi network with any connected devices routing traffic over my purevpn connection.

I've set up a separate VLAN (50) and and WAN2. I've also created a separate WiFi Network to use the VLAN.

Uploaded my .ovpn file to my USG, and a config.gateway.json to the cloudkey.

USG kept getting stuck provisioning until I removed both files.

I've re-added them, and added a separate .ovpncreds file to the USG

And run the following command via CLI
echo auth-user-pass /config/openvpn/.ovpncreds >> *.ovpn

It still gets stuck.

I've fumbled through all of the above by finding different posts across the web.

Can someone please confirm if it cwn be done, and if so how does a n00b go about it

I have a cloudkey, usg, nanohd and 8 port POE switch.

Thanks

Associate
Ordered a UDM to replace my USG and CloudKey. Going to use the AC-PRO upstairs. A quick question I have an AC-PRO already upstairs this is powered via POE from my unifi switch. I assume to daisy chain off this the second AC-PRO will need to use a power adapter?

Soldato
Ordered a UDM to replace my USG and CloudKey. Going to use the AC-PRO upstairs. A quick question I have an AC-PRO already upstairs this is powered via POE from my unifi switch. I assume to daisy chain off this the second AC-PRO will need to use a power adapter?

Yes, there is no PoE pasthrough and be aware that you’ll effectively halve the bandwidth on both units. You’re better off wireless meshing them if you can’t get another cable link back to the switch as that way you only use bandwidth when it’s passing data. Neither is an optimal situation.

Soldato
One more thing, for a nice smooth transition, forget ALL your UniFi components from your UCK and wipe it. Then set up your network again from scratch if it’s not too much hassle. You can restore the UDM controller from a backup of the UCK controller but it can be a bit flakey in my experience so I generally just forget all the components wipe everything from the UCK and start fresh on the UDM controller.

Associate
Yes, there is no PoE pasthrough and be aware that you’ll effectively halve the bandwidth on both units. You’re better off wireless meshing them if you can’t get another cable link back to the switch as that way you only use bandwidth when it’s passing data. Neither is an optimal situation.

Okay thanks for the advice. Would it be better to put my unfi switch upstairs and have the two APs off that?

Soldato

I would say that cabling one AP-AC-Pro through the 2nd ethernet port on the first AP-AC-Pro would be a better option than using wireless meshing. Yes, both access points are sharing the single uplink to the switch but the chances of the AP's wanting to pull a combined bandwidth in excess of 1Gbps seems slim so I wouldn't expect any noticable performance hit.

Okay thanks for the advice. Would it be better to put my unfi switch upstairs and have the two APs off that?

From a performance perspective it wouldn't be making any difference as both access points are sharing the single uplink to the UDM. It would negate the need for the 2nd AP-AC-Pro to need a separate PoE injector though so it's probably a neater solution.

Soldato
I would say that cabling one AP-AC-Pro through the 2nd ethernet port on the first AP-AC-Pro would be a better option than using wireless meshing. Yes, both access points are sharing the single uplink to the switch but the chances of the AP's wanting to pull a combined bandwidth in excess of 1Gbps seems slim so I wouldn't expect any noticable performance hit.

It literally halves the speed of both access points. It’s something to do with how the pass-through works.

Associate
UDM arrived today. I had a few teething problems setting up equipment. Took your advice WJA and setup as a new network, still some tweaking to do. Very impressed so far. Will be chucking my USG and CloudKey on the bay as I don't need them anymore.

Associate
Looking for some advice. Im currently running the following components;
BT Fibre Modem> pfsense
pfsense is then plugged into a gigabit switch with two bt home hubs acting as APs only, with pfsense handling DHCP and VPNs. This setup has worked well in my current house as I've got cat6 channelled through walls into most rooms for AP bachaul and for wired devices.

With the above said I'm due to move to a rental for 6 months, which happens to be an old farm annex with thick walls and no way of running ethernet cables from one side to the other etc. So I have the issue of extending wifi to the other side of the house and the need to break out to a switch for my PC and other devices which require physical connections such as NAS. My first thought was a wifi mesh system like the orbis or asus 92u aimesh. But I'm thinking this could be an opportunity to keep my pfsense box but wire it into the wan side of a ubiquiti dream machine, and then add a meshed hd access point to breakout the second connection to my physical kit? Internet speed will only be 10mb so that isn't an immediate concern :) but when i move into our next house after the rental I can rewire it with backhaul for APs etc and have a good setup.

Does my logic with the mesh and breakout make sense, if so which AP would be best?

Thanks, I'm a ubiquiti noob, but quite used to datacenter routing and switching so looking forwards to something with VLAN support etc

Back
Top Bottom