1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oh Noes!!12 My Pc... :( (Contents Insurance)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Windle, 15 May 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Windle

Capodecina

Well looks like my PC is giving up the ghost. Got a message about the Graphics Card no longer responding to commands. Next thing i know my pc is randomly turning itself off, doesn't matter what i'm doing, could be browsing the net or watching a divx. So i'm guessing it's probably linked in some way to my graphics card.

However, (and the reason this is in GD instead of GH) my pc's probably not worth salvaging with a new Graphics card as it's fairly old and crap. So my question is, can i claim against my contents insurance for a new pc. if so how likely is the claim to be successful and what can i expect. Will they sort out a new pc for me, or do they give the money to buy one? Can i claim for a self-built pc? Will my reason of it randomly switching itself off be sufficient for a claim? How much will my premium go up (There's a £100 excess)? Should i tell them i dropped my pc?

Any help greatly appreciated!

2. Zip

Capodecina

I had a friend that go so angry with his computer he kicked the front of it in :p
    They rang up insurance and said they dropped it and the insurance company paid up :D

3. benneh

Sgarrista

Doubtfull chap, it's wear and tear therefore i'm pretty sure it's not covered. If for instance it got dropped down the stairs or maybe dropped in the bath then it might be covered, depending on your policy.

4. Admiral Huddy

Caporegime

nope - insurance doesn't cover you for wear and tear and anything else that depreciates.

nice try though..

This is true if you had accidental cover but you are not likely to get much for it tbh..unless you proove it's value.

5. BeatMaster

Mobster

However, some policies have "Old for New", basically replace the item with the equivalent priced item at current prices :) (or something similar to that)

BeatMaster :D

6. Mickey

Mobster

I think you mean "New for Old" ;)

7. Zip

Capodecina

They got a better computer then they already had from it :D

8. wnb

Mobster

Thats fraud and the reason why insurance can be expensive.

9. Admiral Huddy

Caporegime

that surprises me on something that depreciates so quickly.. No wonder my premiums have rocketed . :(

10. Aod

Sgarrista

but this isn't classified as "wear and tear" the graphics card does not "wear away" with use.

technically PC's should work without fail, forever.
    there is no wear and tear on PCs, except on things like Disk drives and the like

11. wnb

Mobster

What about the mb and components heating up and cooling down would that not be classed as wear and tear? Certainly over time it would be one of the reasons for a pc to fail.

12. Tesla

Capodecina

It is one of the reasons PC's fail. Basically metal fatigue in the solder joints and the like,

13. Aod

Sgarrista

but its not the mobo thats failing. also, do you really think that the Insurance company would understand electron-wear on solder beads?

14. Windle

Capodecina

So, to summarise....

No..I can't :p

15. gord

Capodecina

Just no would have sufficed. The "I cant" bit made my computer load more information and cause further wear and tear. You owe me one new computer. :cool:

16. hyper_piper45

Mobster

How are you gonna try and say you accidentally dropped your pc in the bath? What were you doing with it in the bathroom in the first place!

17. Berserker

Man of Honour

As you've accepted the answer, I'll close this. Don't want to leave it open to those suggesting fraud.

And, PS, it'll be either wear and tear (e.g. fan failure) or electrical breakdown (component failure). Neither of which are usually covered.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.