1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oil Production Falling

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by teaboy5, 6 Jul 2006.

1. teaboy5

Soldato

Interesting thought on the subject

http://www.blackenterprise.com/yb/ybopen.asp?section=ybin&story_id=95202275&ID=blackenterprise

We also have one of the three largest oil fields in the world, two have peaked. Mexico announced that its giant Cantarell Field entered depletion in March, 2006, as did the huge Burgan field in Kuwait in November, 2005. In April, 2006, a Saudi Aramco spokesman admitted that its mature fields are now declining at a rate of 8% per year, and its composite decline rate of producing fields is about 2%[12], thus implying that Ghawar, the largest oil field in the world may have peaked. New drilling in Saudi Arabia may be able to replace a portion of that country's production decline.

Above taken from peakoil.com

I really think we will be seeing $80+ a barrel this summer and higher by the winter. The world really is in for a tough old time real soon.

2. Inquisitor

Capodecina

Woohoo, peak oil!

This is a long term thing, so it's not going to happen overnight, although I was under the impression that peak oil wasn't going to occur for another 5 years or so :(

Anyway, thanks for an interesting read.

Last edited: 6 Jul 2006
  3. teaboy5

Soldato

Also heres more info

Traditional natural gas supplies are also under the constraints of production peaks, which especially affect specific geographic regions because of the difficulty of transporting the resource over long distances. Natural gas production may have peaked on the North American continent in 2003, with the possible exception of Alaskan gas supplies which cannot be developed until a pipeline is constructed. Natural gas production in the North Sea has also peaked. UK production was at its highest point in 2000, and declining production and increased prices are now a sensitive political issue there. Even if new extraction techniques yield additional sources of natural gas, like coalbed methane, the energy returned on energy invested will be much lower than traditional gas sources, which inevitably leads to higher costs to consumers of natural gas.

4. Hades

Caporegime

It's interesting to see the world finally wake up to this. It gets interesting from here on in.

5. GlasgowTitan

Wise Guy

Interesting?? I wouldn't call not being able to afford to run my car interesting.

6. Rancidelephant

Mobster

The people will have to find an alternative to massive car use, jobs will have to move closer to where people live.

Interesting in how we will cope with the prolem and the solutions we will find instead moaning that they cant run a car.

7. Radiation

Mobster

I also think it will be interesting, maybe not good but interesting because the question is will we be able to pull out of the oil dependency we have and start using next gen technology? im hoping to see a cheaper or even free cost for the usage of energy after a likely collapse because energy has and always will be free you just usually have to pay someone to get it for you, i think we will start moving into a new age, weather its good or bad is up to us.

8. v0n

Sgarrista

Alternatives are known for years. Most diesel cars can run on thinned vegetable oil. Think about it - the entire heavy intercontinental transit, every lorry, HGV, boat, every tractor, heavy machinery, ships and trains, power generators, airconditioners, most vans and taxis can stop using derv at snap of the fingers, nearly overnight. Old chippy oils etc could be recycled instread of being thrown away, endless options. The only reason why it doesn't happen is because veg oil would be impossible to tax. How would Gordo Brown get his fingers on the cash if fuel was readily available on supermarket shelves.

9. anarchist

PermaBanned

Yes, diesel cars can indeed run on vegetable oil. The trouble is, there aren't billions of barrels of vegetable oil coming out of local chippies ;)

It's a very small part of an overall solution, not an overnight solution like you imply.

10. VIRII

PermaBanned

What percentage of oil use is by car? I thoguht cars made up a very small amount of the consumption?

11. anarchist

PermaBanned

Cars perhaps do, but transport in general is a biggie. First google match was this...

12. VIRII

PermaBanned

I thought that aircraft were a very significant user as well as plastics and so on. I could be utterly wrong of course but I was under the impression that petrol for cars was a pretty small user of the oil the world extracts.

Hence falling oil extraction is going to impact other things a lot more significantly than petrol.

13. Torquar

Hitman

You obviously dont live in the north :p

14. anarchist

PermaBanned

Yes, the 67% figure was for "transport", so that includes lorries transport freight, air travel, cars etc. etc.

On the DTI website, there is "total energy consumption by end use" pie chart on page 2.

http://www.dti.gov.uk/files/file20300.pdf

Some other interesting figures in that report, like the average home temperature going up from 15 degrees in 1991 to 19 degrees in 2002. Sounds about right. I remember when I was a kid basically wearing clothes to keep warm when the heating wasn't on but nowadays everybody seems to have permanently warm houses.

Also, another "peak oil" type website saying that the sustainable population of the UK will only be 30 million by 2020.

More figures here...

http://www.dti.gov.uk/files/file10738.pdf

15. kumar101

Gangster

In Brazil 40% of Cars run on ethanol. Japan is going to be importing it from Brazil.

Central Africa is v fertile can easily grow Tons of Sugar Cane there.

16. bottletop

Wise Guy

I'm sure we could run 40% of our cars in this country on ethanol too....so long as we have the same number of cars per capita as brazil, and more importantly the same per capita oil usage as brazil i.e learn to accept a third world standard of living and not a first world one.

Brazil oil production: 3.35 barrels per person
    Brazil oil consumption: 4.2 bpp

Difference: 0.85 bpp

US oil production: 11bpp
    US oil consumption: 27 bpp

Difference: 16bpp

So yes, Brazil has it figured, and if the US can produce 19x more fuel ethanol
    than brazil then they might too.

17. Energize

Caporegime

No you can just buy it from the supermarket....

18. calnen

Mobster

His point was that not enough actually exists for people to use it in cars. You'd have to have something stupid like 90% of the Earth's land surface dedicated to growing oil seed rape etc to produce as much energy as we now use. (I cant remember the exact figure but its something like that)

19. Radiation

Mobster

Wouldn't it be best in the long run if most people used electric cars and run the bigger and longer distance vehicles on fuels?

All electricity can be generated renewably eventually so why aren't the changes being done now as it will be harder to sort out when the time comes.

20. -|ScottFree|-

Wise Guy

Its all well and good when you come up with ethanol and vegetable oil as a solution to fuelling our vehicles, but oil is needed to produce the pesticides that allow our food to grow and the sugar beet and wheat crops that ethanol is produced through. It is also used for thousands of types of plastics and soaps, detergents etc etc.

The loss of oil to the world is a catastrophic catastrophe.