Oil Top-up?

Soldato
OP
Oh sorry, it was below the low marker. Funnily enough the oil light didn't come on this morning when going out to get more oil though. I went out this morning and bought that 1 litre of oil of Castrol 10W40 and dumped it in.

Now the oil level is where it should be, but apparently it's the wrong oil! I'm more than happy to get the oil drained and buy more. My friend's dad usually does it when he services my car. I'm due to get it serviced anyway because I feel more comfortable getting it done soon after buying it anyway.

I guess those index cards in Halfords are unreliable?

Caporegime
As JanesyB said (perhaps sarcastically?) the wrong oil is better than no oil at all.

No, my manual states I need to use 5/30 but can use 5/40, 10/40 or 10/30 for top-ups if I can't find any 5/30.

Oh sorry, it was below the low marker. Funnily enough the oil light didn't come on this morning when going out to get more oil though. I went out this morning and bought that 1 litre of oil of Castrol 10W40 and dumped it in.

Now the oil level is where it should be, but apparently it's the wrong oil! I'm more than happy to get the oil drained and buy more. My friend's dad usually does it when he services my car. I'm due to get it serviced anyway because I feel more comfortable getting it done soon after buying it anyway.

I guess those index cards in Halfords are unreliable?

Get the oil changed with the right grade and watch the level like a hawk, apparently the Golf 2.0 engine has a known oil consumption issue and I very much doubt running it so low has done engine any good.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I won't wreck my engine then? I can live with all of the above!
If there are grades of oil, why can't we just put the best grade in there?

Caporegime
No, driving around with low oil will wreck your engine, although sticking with the correct grade will ensure you won't wreck the engine. I'm going to assume the second question is a joke.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
It wasn't; I don't know much about the maintenance of cars and how they work.

All I know is that if I push the pedals and spin the wheel, occasionally moving the stick in the middle, it goes.

I'm not as good with engines as I am with computers, mainly because I haven't put my head to it and tried to learn. I guess this is what I'm trying to do now! I apologise if my questions seem really naive and trivial :(

Soldato
This isnt realy about being good at cars (i also am not mechanical minded)

This is BASIC car care. Hell MY DRIVING INSTRUCTOR told me about basic car care. The very first time i came home with a car my dad pulled me aside and told me the very basics of what's under the hood.

I thought it was a fatherly duty to do that! :D

Associate
In short its to do with how thick the oil is, different engines need different oil. If you check your handbook (probably at the back) it will tell you the correct oil grade for your engine and thats what you should be putting in.

I seem to have had 2 cars in a row that like to drink oil, my Yaris needed 5w30 if I remember correctly where as my Astra is on...... 10w40 (i think). You really should be putting the right grade of oil in.

Soldato
OP
I don't speak to my dad. My instructor showed my how to identify what liquids go in what holes, but hell if I know what job oil does in an engine and how it works.

Soldato
Clown all the information about what your car needs is in your manual.

Im amazed you have gone though even a year of car ownership without looking at how to at least just top up the fluids.

Reminds me of a women friend of mine who wrecked her Clio by NEVER topping the oil when it was already very low. She didnt know you had to use oil in a car :(

Last edited:
Associate
This is the thing though, you should really be checking. It's all well and good knowing how to top up fluids, but you need to ensure your putting the correct fluids in. Not just any old tat.

Soldato
Thicker/Thinner oils can have quite a different on oil pressure, and the associated (expensive!) parts that rely on it!

Personally I wouldn't worry about it too much. Even the correct grade golden brown engine all that is dumped in during an oil change is quickly contaminated by sludge and ghunk that simply removing the drain plug for a few minutes/hours won't remove, so I find it hard to get too worked up over getting the 'right oil in there for a top up. If you know what oil is already in the sump than brilliant, use that, but if you don't 10W40 is a pretty safe bet.

Back
Top Bottom