Oil Top-up?

Soldato
OP
I would have thought it was done at last service in March I think.
Milage is about 69k but it's all city driving. I'm getting like 250 miles per tank - does that mean the engine is working harder?

Soldato
I would have thought it was done at last service in March I think.
Milage is about 69k but it's all city driving. I'm getting like 250 miles per tank - does that mean the engine is working harder?

Oil replaced in March, and it's lost enough to make the light come on, city driving? How many miles have you actually covered? It's certainly old enough to be using a bit of oil, but there's alarm bells ringing that it's using a lot, or leaking.

Soldato
OP
I'll check the oil level tomorrow but when it happened originally it was just running on empty. There aren't any oil patches under the car and nothing under the bonnet looks mucky. I've probably covered about 750-1000 miles.

Soldato
OP
I know I put some random oil in last time and that could be a reason it used it up so quickly? Why else would it be using oil so quickly, is it a big problem?

In the meantime, what's the best oil to put in? I need to go get some this morning :)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I know I put some random oil in last time and that could be a reason it used it up so quickly? Why else would it be using oil so quickly, is it a big problem?

In the meantime, what's the best oil to put in? I need to go get some this morning :)

AFAIK you put the correct oil in last time? So just double check what type you need from the manual.

Soldato
OP
Sorry, it was below the minimum mark, just hitting the tip of the dipstick. Pretty much the same as the last time the light came on and if I think about it, I probably did about the same milage too. At this rate I'll need 4 litres a year which is I thought was odd because my 1.6 Focus never needed oil and was only changed at service intervals.

I just bought some Castrol Edge Sport 0W40 rated, VW 502.00 standard. I went with that because 502.00 is a bigger number than 500.00, ergo and therefore it must be better :p There are 30 miles showing on the car at the moment as filled the car with petrol yesterday so we'll see how many miles I get from this top-up of oil again.

Apart from the obvious, Scubascorpion, what does the below minimum reading of oil mean to you?

Soldato
Sorry, it was below the minimum mark, just hitting the tip of the dipstick. Pretty much the same as the last time the light came on and if I think about it, I probably did about the same milage too. At this rate I'll need 4 litres a year which is I thought was odd because my 1.6 Focus never needed oil and was only changed at service intervals.
Different cars, different engines. My old 330i used about 1 litre every 2000 miles, and that was within BMW specification, even though a little controversially. rG-tom's 330i uses about 1 litre every 25 feet.

Soldato
Apart from the obvious, Scubascorpion, what does the below minimum reading of oil mean to you?

That your choice of oil is the least of your worries.

No engine in a good state of repair should use that much oil in a 1000 miles.

Soldato
You've already stated it isn't dripping out the bottom of it so it has to be using it.
There is only two places it will be doing this.

1. Rings
2. Valve stem seals

If you are finding a big repair bill hard to swallow, top it up, stick on ebay and go buy something else. IMO

Back
Top Bottom