Oil Use

Permabanned
OP
I had my ST3 for 3 and a bit years, up until it hit 60k it didnt use a drop, then the usage went up to about 0.5l to 1l between services, which was 6ish months for me,it also felt a little quicker when it used more oil, so maybe it had loosened up.

yeah its just hit about 20k so is run in now lol, as i said the guy at ford today said that it was normal, no visible leaks or anything and its being serviced on the 3rd so will get fresh oil and I will check it more regularly

G J

G J

Associate
was this after the car had been driven, arn't ou supposed to wait for the oil to settle before checking it?

Soldato
While different engines consume oil differently, even different examples of the same engine can use oil differently.

There's lots of reasons why:
-Leaks.
-The way you drive (some engines can consume oil drastically at high RPM).
-Wear in parts like the valve stem seals. Particularly if poor oil has been used in the past, or oil has been left in too long.
-Sometimes new engines can use oil for a long time, modern liners and lubricants can be so good that engines just don't bed in for thousands of miles.

That's what Alfa quote for the twinspark engines :eek:

It's about how much is leaking from the bottom of my dip-stick tube.

Soldato
My car is currently at 46,000 miles and is regularly checked - full set of dealer stamps.
I think I own one of the "thirstier" engines out there with regards oil use - the VAG 2.0 TFSI.
I may have to pop in 1L every other month - the main dealers and many other owners of the same engine don't even double-take at this.
It's quite common and expected.

Back
Top Bottom