OK, Dell = Pants

Associate
Im on my 5th tft lcd monitor and this dell is worst of the lot.

Its the 20" widescreen number and am i the only one who suffers from screen burn?

My desktop wallpaper is shadowy etched onto screen, along with the SWG HUD, ive played games for a long time on a lot of tfts and this has never happened before its barely even 2 months old.

Disgusting quality of product, am i the only one who has this problem or the only one to admit they got bumped by an overpriced terrible quality piece of junk?

Associate
I didnt think LCD TFTs got screenburn anymore?

I got a Dell 15" tft that ive for a couple years now. Leave it on all the time with the same image and theres no screen burn what so ever.

In my book Dell are ace for monitors... ok crappy for base units but they hit the mark with monitors, I plan to upgrade to the Dell 2405fpw within the next 2 months aswell.

Have you contacted dell to tell them the problems youve had? Theyre customer service on these monitors are pretty impecable.

OcUK Staff
Hi there

We sell approx 800+ DELL screen per month and that number continues to grow which further backs up that the product is one of the best out their and represents a huge saving by over similar specification monitors from othr manufacturers. :)

Associate
Little unfair to place the blame on Dell Chopper. Its the panel that's at fault. There is a long topic on here with the exact same problem but a xerox model, if you look at the topic you'll see a screen shot of the image with a couple of other members saying they have the same problem.

Seeing its not something we have heard much about until recent weeks it may be due to a batch of faulty panels coming through, but there is no need to worry unduly as your monitor will be covered for this under warranty. Dell seem to be pretty much on the ball at swapping out faulty monitors, give them a phone call and they will arrange to drop a new monitor off and pick up your current one at the same time.

PS: seeing how new your is I think you'll probably still qualify for a new monitor and not a refurbished one.

Last edited:
Soldato
I will never buy Dell again, I've had 3 replacement 2005FPW's, it took 9 weeks to get the first replacement as they'd sent it to OCUK instead of me and never bothered acknowledging this until I threatened them with legal action. Finally they said they would give me a refund but 9-11 days after they'd collected the monitor leaving me without a monitor or the means to buy a replacement. Yesterday 18 days after collection they acknowledged that the refund had not been processed and asked me to prove that the monitor had been collected, so god knows how much longer I'll have to wait without my monitor or my money. The Indian call centre is shambolic at best it is often impossible to understand what is being said or to be understood, so anything off script can only be dealt with by email which you rarely get a reply to. I am now taking advice as to whether I can take them to small claims court over their broken contracts and the rediculous amount of time I've had to spend chasing up the individual departments for a result I still haven't had afer 4 months of pure hassle.

There's obviously an inherant fault with the panels in these monitors yet Dell continue to sell them, not the right kind of advertisment for any company really.

You've been warned ..........

Last edited:
Associate
Gibbo said:
Hi there

We sell approx 800+ DELL screen per month and that number continues to grow

:eek: :eek: :eek: That is A LOT of monitors, a lot of money as well! :p

Any news on other Dell monitors on their way, along the same sort of range as the 30" you've just added?

Soldato
PieEater said:
I will never buy Dell again, I've had 3 replacement 2005FPW's, it took 9 weeks to get the first replacement as they'd sent it to OCUK instead of me and never bothered acknowledging this until I threatened them with legal action. Finally they said they would give me a refund but 9-11 days after they'd collected the monitor leaving me without a monitor or the means to buy a replacement. Yesterday 18 days after collection they acknowledged that the refund had not been processed and asked me to prove that the monitor had been collected, so god knows how much longer I'll have to wait without my monitor or my money. The Indian call centre is shambolic at best it is often impossible to understand what is being said or to be understood, so anything off script can only be dealt with by email which you rarely get a reply to. I am now taking advice as to whether I can take them to small claims court over their broken contracts and the rediculous amount of time I've had to spend chasing up the individual departments for a result I still haven't had afer 4 months of pure hassle.

There's obviously an inherant fault with the panels in these monitors yet Dell continue to sell them, not the right kind of advertisment for any company really.

You've been warned ..........

Im never going to buy Dell either mainly due to the entire shambles over the W2600 26" TV that they were selling in December. Thats the main reason i bought the Belinea 20" widescreen over the Dell 2005FPW and also given the Belinea had a more modern panel. Im still waiting for my "Good Will" vouchers to turn up from Dell for the whole TV fiasco, not that i'll be spending them on anything with them.

Last edited:
Associate
Yeah i would also like to know the shambles of the W2600?

I know a lot of people that bought this, and are happy with it, considering it was half price, i was stupid not to buy one.

Soldato
Nixeh said:
What was the whole 26" fiasco about melchy?

Gibbo: And yes anything new on the 20" 24" new panels that dell will be releasing. We need the info :p

FEED US *thumps tummy*

A great many people bought the TV (more than Dell could supply as it turns out). Myself and a lot of people got order confirmation and then delivery date confirmation. The delivery date then slipped twice and then the order mysteriously disappeared. Dell had just decided to bulk cancel a great many peoples orders (without telling anyone, in fact contact from Dells side about anything was pretty lacking) especially after they had been given order confirmation and delivery confirmation and in a fair few cases money taken. Dell then proceeds to get a barrage of angry emails letters etc for quite a few weeks. The final solution was to offer £150 towards the same TV from elsewhere as other etailers had bought up hundreds during the deal (were then selling them for a lot more than Dell were so the £150 on offer almost got you back to Dells orginal price) or towards another TV of similar spec, this was only because of the "Loss of Bargain" law and that they didnt have a leg to stand on legally. If you didnt want that they would give you £75 vouchers towards any Dell product as a "Good Will" gesture, i've yet to receive mine. Most people wanted neither and wanted Dell to honour their contract of sale, this is the best they got though. I had considered putting the voucher towards a 2005FPW but in the end went for the Belinea as i didnt want to pay a penny to a company that treats customers the way i and many others were treated during the fiasco.

There was also an entirely different Fiasco running pretty much parallel to this one with a deal Dell was running on 19" TFT's, with people getting sent CRT's instead of TFT's and CD's instead of TFT's in some cases.

Last edited:
Soldato
Leave Dell alone!

They make some of the best value TFT's ever. Had a 2001FP for a year and it had a lot of heavy use (14-18 hours per day). No problems with it whatsoever only recently sold as did not have the desk space to put it alongside my Dell2405 which is another fantastic TFT. Zero dead pixels, perfect backlighting no screen burn issues at all. Some people have been unlucky but it is the same with all TFT's.

Associate
I hate threads like this, especially with subjects like that because they stand out a mile.
How about we get every Dell monitor owner in thie forum to post a paragraph about how good or bad their monitor is? The above complaints will get totally masked out by the number of positives.
Dell were indeed at fault with the people concerned above, however, and you have every right to be mad (I've had problems with suppliers too). But they cannot be perfect with every single customer, and because one person is unhappy then that makes Dell = pants? Don't think so.

Associate
5tephen said:
I hate threads like this, especially with subjects like that because they stand out a mile.
How about we get every Dell monitor owner in thie forum to post a paragraph about how good or bad their monitor is? The above complaints will get totally masked out by the number of positives.
Dell were indeed at fault with the people concerned above, however, and you have every right to be mad (I've had problems with suppliers too). But they cannot be perfect with every single customer, and because one person is unhappy then that makes Dell = pants? Don't think so.

Agreed, give that man a coconut!

Soldato
5tephen said:

I've no doubt that their products are pretty good, the fact that they let me and what appears to be into the 1000's down by not supplying the W2600 and then bulk cancelling orders after order and delivery confirmation mean that they can very well be described as pants. I cant post a link to the main forum i was reading with regards to the issue as it has competitor links. Do a google on Dell W2600 26" TV and you'll come across a number of forums where the issue is repeated and repeated. They made a massive mistake in this case and as you can see the email covers an issue with supplying the 19" TV's as well. What didnt help was e-tailers buying them up and then selling on at a £200 premium. Why Dell couldnt see that demand would be high for a cheap HD tele a week before the XBox 360 was released is beyond me.

This is a quote from the email which i eventually received.
For a very limited period from the 29th to 30th November, due a technical error a number of 19"/26" LCD TV orders were confirmed in error. Unfortunately due to the unprecedented demand for the offer combined with this technical error, at the point that your order was confirmed we were no longer in a position to supply you with a 19"/26" TV.

The question then has to be asked is why did i get order confirmation and then delivery confirmation and why have people outwith the "technical error" date also effected by the same problem.

Last edited:
Associate
That does suck about the 26" and 19", glad it didnt happy to me.

But if we are going by personal experience then i rate them as a top manufacturer of tft monitors. My 15" sees rouhgly 18hours usage a day... its pretty much only off when im sleeping. Ive had it for 3 years or there about and the only problem i have about is the huge ass bezel but hey im not to fussed about that.

Dell get a thumbs up from me.

Ive not yet had to use their outsourced phone tech and if i did (like other companies... such as Argos) if i get someone i can barely understand i asked to be put onto someone who can speak english more fluently, wouldnt mind obviously if i could understand what they were saying.

Soldato
Dont get me wrong, i've nothing against their products and especially the TFT's. If i could get a brilliant deal on one of the 2405's i would probably get one despite what i said above. The company itself though and the way their customer services is run leaves a lot to be desired.

Soldato
Well I bought two 1905FP's direct from Dell a couple of months before OCUK had them, and they were excellent CS and the monitors arrived in excellent time and the original pair are still working brilliantly.

On this experience I recommended a good friend buy a laptop from them and Dell messed up the order good and proper from start to finish even delivering to the wrong person in the wrong house - this was a £2000 machine - my firend eventually got her money back but put me off recommending them to "novice"s , on thse boards most people know what to expect, sometimes these things happen

Still very bad luck with the TV mate, sounds a bit rogueish to me too in the politest possible way

Associate
OP
Gibbo said:
Hi there

We sell approx 800+ DELL screen per month and that number continues to grow which further backs up that the product is one of the best out their and represents a huge saving by over similar specification monitors from othr manufacturers. :)

i work for dell mate and i can tell you worse statistics than that so please can we not turn this into a ocuk promo thread please i know its hard for you.

dell have a know issue that affects something like 99% of an entire range whereby the capacitors on ther motherboard swell and pop and your "quality" machine goes pfttt, the solution just give em a refurb motherboard after a strenous call to bombay, the cause hell we bought some cheap crappy mobos, to make more profit, this is just one example. :rolleyes:

anyone else got screen burn cos i had to invoke the warranty and call their bombay call centre and have to have a refurbed monitor sent out just cos i got the only pants brand new one, surely i cant be only one with dell tft with screen burn?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom