• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

OK, so is a 2080ti now a bad purchase

Associate
Given all the issues around capacitors/crashes/stock issues with the 3080. Is a 2080ti a bad purchase NOW ignoring the cost of the card for 1440p gaming? Not really interested in cost/performance between the cards just normal everyday gaming with no overclocking etc for 1440p

Soldato
If you are ignoring cost then surely you just need to watch some YouTube reviews and decide if it's 1440p performance would suit you.

But if you don't ignore cost then yes. Buying a new 2080ti is a dumb idea.

Associate
If you're ignoring the cost and you like throwing your cash about, then it's not a bad idea (if you have cash to burn).
It's not a good idea if you wish to future proof yourself to some degree.
I certainly would not be spending that sort of money out of frustration with the current delay on the 3080.
If you're buying second hand and you know who you're buying from at a good price then yeah, why not.

Last edited:
Associate
If money is no object maybe.

If you can get a second hand one and you know the seller i have seen them go as low as £450 which is an absolute bargain, given the age of the card is at max 2 years old.

When it comes to the capacitor issue it's only affecting the cards at the top end of their boost this will be limited on newer stocks released but it's still going to come in at LEAST the advertised speeds which is superior to the 20X series so if you're not into manual Overclocking this isn't really an issue.

Stock however is a gigantic pain in the ass.

Your call really

Caporegime
If you bagged one in the pre 3080 dip then I think that was a pretty good buy. The panic sales seem to have slowed as people can't get a 3080 so prices seem to have climbed back towards £600 ish which doesn't seem a good buy with AMDs announcement imminent.

Soldato
Brand new 2080TI at the still high price? No, that’s silly.

Objectively I reckon a used 2080Ti is worth around £600 right now. However, I personally wouldn’t pay more than £400 right now like others say, given what’s coming on the horizon.

But, if you want the best, right now, there is no other option. Most of us genuinely might not be able to pick up any next gen cards for months and months the way things seem.
Plus , all the 3080s are broken! Haha (sort of joking)

It all boils down to patience, or not.

Last edited:
Associate
Is it a good card for 1440p gaming? Absolutely.

But I think you need to pay no more than £400 otherwise you might as well grab a 3070 or wait for AMD.

I still personally wouldn't.

Given the 3080 launch what is the odds demand for the 3070 will be met anytime before mid next year.

If you can get a 2080ti for less than £600 or so I suspect it's still a great deal.

Permabanned
If you aren't overclocking then there are no problems with the 3080. The one thing that is very clear is that the crashing issues are happening for overclocked cards. As long as you have a card that can be run at stock you are fine. To my mind the 2080ti's are still too expensive at the moment give the performance increase by even a stock 3080. It is also extremely likely that any fix will not include changes to the hardware, rather changes to the card BIOS. One way or another the 3080 is a far better buy imo.

Associate
It is a very bad idea unless it can be bought really cheap (under £500)(and even then it's not a good idea)
3070,3070 ti,3060 ti(confirmed) going release in October and all are said to outperform / match 2080 ti and priced under £500.

Last edited:
Associate
some of the 2080ti cards are going for a fair bit, i sold my 2080ti for 625, sold in 30mins, i then cancelled the sale with the seller and re-listed it for 675 and this sild in 30 mins too ive got the Asus Srix OC edition so i think they demand a higher price

Associate
OP
some of the 2080ti cards are going for a fair bit, i sold my 2080ti for 625, sold in 30mins, i then cancelled the sale with the seller and re-listed it for 675 and this sild in 30 mins too ive got the Asus Srix OC edition so i think they demand a higher price
How was the strix oc as a card?

Back
Top Bottom