OK, so there's going to be a water shortage and a drought this summer. The solution.

Associate
As I understand it...

Most of reservoirs in the UK are supplied by ground water not surface run-off. So, when it does rain it can take months for that water to find it's way in to reservoirs.

So, it is easy for them to predict future water supplies.

Soldato
Domo said:
Have you seen pictures of resevoirs in the South East? It's not exaggerated at all.

'Despite the recent rain, Weir Wood reservoir near East Grinstead, which is key to the North Sussex supply zone is still less than half full, following ten months of below average rainfall.'

Src. http://www.southernwater.co.uk/educationAndEnvironment/managingResources/regionalRainfall.asp

i have seen the pictures of half empty reservoirs, but again i see this as a fault of the water companies than any so called serious 'drought'.

http://news.independent.co.uk/environment/article351068.ece

'The company (thames water) is currently spending £1 billion replacing Victorian pipes, which are estimated to leak around a third of water travelling from reservoirs to homes. '

sounds like decresing the leaks would avoid the risk of drastic problems

http://www.ofwat.gov.uk/aptrix/ofwat/publish.nsf/Content/pn1705

more evidence of the water industries poor efforts on fixing leaks

I also believe that thames water have been able to increase bills if they meet targets on leak reduction, which they've been failing to meet, yet bills continue to rise.

I see these problems, caused by inefficeny by the water companies and poor investment, which is their problem and so why should we have our use restricted, especially given the huge amounts we already pay in water charges, as i'm sure we won't get any reduction in water bills if they take drastic action.

I'm sure I read something in new scientist that said britain is one of the most inefficent countries in the world for collecting rain water that falls on roads or land for use in our drinking water supply.

Associate
The largest source of hydrogen on this planet is water.

There is very little point in extracting the hydrogen from water and combining it with oxygen to make water again. In fact no point at all. If we had any other major source of hydrogen aside from water then this idea would be a good one.

The other sources of hydrogen on this planet tend to be part of compounds with other elements since hydrogen's pretty reactive. Extracting the hydrogen is likely to be far more expensive than current systems.

The only long term solution I see for water shortage problems are desalinization plants on the coast to make sea water drinkable. It's an expensive proceedure but it may prove the only choice. I believe the south east is finally building one of these.

Associate
We have desalinization plants where I live and no drought problems.

The expense side of it is a problem which can be overcome. Ultimately water is more important than money.

Soldato
Jumpingmedic said:
*Prepares 600 miles of hosepipe*

Or even better, everyone put a washing up bowl in the boot, drive up narf, dip it in Kielder and fill it up, then drive back. That way you can use that for your washing up each evening. Noobs.

Soldato
We're surrounded by water, we have desalination plants.
Theres also a lot of water up North. I heard something on the news like they were thinking of bringing water down from up here in tankers if it gets really bad.

Soldato
'I love to be in Britain, when it's hot weather. I love it when you get four or five days of hot weather, because then people in Kent run out of water, don't they? Know what I like to do? I like to ring them up, and play the sound of running water down the phone.
[Pretending to be on the telephone]
Hello, I just washed my car. Probably water the lawn in a minute. Might have a bath, might not, see how I feel. I'll probably fill the bath, not even use it.'

......teehee :p There is more but I can't find it.

Poor ickle southerners ;)

Associate
Thames water loose 915 million litres of water from theire pipes each day. They run these pipes underground, and they are complaining that there is no ground water?

Loved it last week when they were asked on TV about Leak reduction (those suthners' are sick of soup everyday), there response was "Its expensive to resolve", also about Desalinization is "Its an expensive alternative".

How about a a deal that if you don't have an enough water for your needs, you don't pay for it. See how long it would take Thames water to sort out the problems then.

Back
Top Bottom