1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OK, this is odd. (Car maintenance)

Discussion in 'Motors' started by Rilot, 16 Oct 2009.

1. Rilot

Don

My car developed a nasty buzz and vibration over the last few weeks that's road speed dependant and only there when turning left. "Ahha, that'll be the front right wheel bearing then" I thought.

So, off I go, embarking on the absolute mare of a job that is changing the hub assembly on an E39. I get it all buttoned back up and..... buzz and vibration still there.

"So...", thinks I "It must be the rear right wheel bearing then".
    Out comes the 3 tonne jack and up goes the back of the car. Off come the wheels and I start spinning the rear hubs... "Hmmm, no play".

Now, at this point I'm completely stumped and just as a complete shot in the dark, I jack the front left up, whip the wheel off and spin the disc. NOTCHY AS HELL!

Now, I'm happy to have found the problem but have any of you had a wheel bearing fail in such a way that the tell tail noise associated with a bearing failure is only heared when turning in to the side of the failed bearing? Well, it's a first for me.

I've replaced countless bearing on countless different cars and I've never heared one make a louder noise when turning towards the failed bearing. It just makes no sense. The inside wheel is loaded less than the outside wheel.

Oh well, I guess these E39s are just wierd.

2. Prophet

Soldato

Not something I've come across before. Usually the sound gets louder when the bearing is under load.

3. Janesy B

Caporegime

When you are turning left, the weight of the car shifts to the right?

4. naefeart

Mobster

Tbh the front left wheel would have been my first port of call.

n

5. Confused

Sgarrista

Hmm, odd.

Though I would have jacked up and checked all wheels prior to actually purchasing and installing any parts... ;)

6. Prophet

Soldato

Because the noise happens when turning to the left or just guessing?

It's well known that bearings make more noise/vibration when load is applied so I can't see your logic.

7. Howard

Capodecina

Touring? I could have sworn your 540 was a saloon :eek:

8. miniyazz

Soldato

It must be growing up :D
    Maybe he'll wake up one day and find a baby 116i suckling on its exhaust pipe.

9. Rilot

Don

I used to have a saloon way back in the day. Maybe you're thinking of that one.

10. benneh

Sgarrista

Just because of the road surfacing/nearside to the kerb etc I would have imagined.

11. Rilot

Don

Well, I replaced the nearside bearing today and..... it's fixed. No more vibes and no more noise... well, apart from the burble of the V8 through the custom stainless exhaust system.