1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ok to stop drive reformatting?

Discussion in 'Windows & Other Software' started by MarkLP, 31 Jan 2006.

1. MarkLP

Mobster

Hi, in the middle of reformating my pc, and am just wondering, as the windows reformat is taking so long, wether i can stop it and do it with partition magic instead. Or is stoping the reformatting part way through a bad idea?

Thanks,
    Mark

2. Siders77

Hitman

I'm not 100% sure but it sounds like a pretty bad idea to me.

I'd leave it no matter how long it takes. :(

3. MarkLP

Mobster

ok i'll leave it going :)

4. badbob

PermaBanned

A big drive will take a while to format, 120GB took about 30-45 minutes

5. -Mike-

Capodecina

Sata drives seem to format really fast compared to IDE drives, why is that? Sorry that my post isn't of help to you.

6. Siders77

Hitman

Isn't it something to do with the RPM of the drives?

I'm probably wrong though.

7. -Mike-

Capodecina

I don't think so mate, both drives are WD, one is a 40gb 8mb cache and the other a 160gb sata 8mb cache... both spinning at 7200rpm :confused:

8. Tute

Capodecina

If you stop a drive halfway through, in my experience, you will NOT be able to use the partition you were formatting, and will instead have to re-partition the disk and format again.

Not sure if it could damage the disk. If it doesn't crash halfway through, i'd let it format before you do anything :)

9. Ultra_Extreme

Perma Banned

SATA drives are designed to be faster and therefore have mechanical functions and specifications conducive to this end, hence they perform operations like formatting quicker. When a drive is reformatted through the "full Format" option (as opposed to the "quick" option) blocks of blank data (ie 1's & 0's) are written to the whole area of the drive completely erasing it (Quick formatting just erases the TOC or index so that the drive assumes its blank as it has no way to locate the data, which then gets progressivley overwritten in future use).

As regaurds stopping it half way through formatting, this would have no real implications if you are planning a full format anyway however it will screw up the function of the disk, ie you wont be able to use it until it is fully formatted, however it will not damage it no.

10. TheTiger

Capodecina

Nope, it checks for bad sectors

11. Ultra_Extreme

Perma Banned

is that true? always assumed it physically erased all data like on a floppy disk. surely a bad sector scan would not vary so much depending on disk size?

12. -Mike-

Capodecina

click me

He's right and all!

13. GAMEfreak

Hitman

indeed. its like a built in scandisk :D