Old AMD PC with RAM issues

Associate
hello the forum,hope you are all well during these troubled times...i have a dilema

was attempting to clean up and fix a friends parents PC specs
AMD FX 6300
ASUS M5A97 R2.0 MB (bios version 2603) (latest on asus website)
8GB DDR3 (2x4gb) corsair XMS3 (cmx4gx3m2a1333cb) ram (cl 8-8-8-24) (is in the QVL list as compatible ram)
Windows 7 (ultimate) 64bit

now my issue is that for some strange reason the system refuses to use the 8gb of ram and will only use 4gb
i have tested both ram sticks in all the slots with boot success so that eliminated the slots being faulty on the MB,this also eliminated the sticks being faulty as they both allowed post in all slots as well,i have tried all slot configurations with both sticks and the same always applies only 4gb ram available to use
i am at my wits end on what to do have tried every possible fix from setting the board back to optimised defaults in the bios,pulling the battery on the board,re-seating the sticks everything

whats intersting is that CPUZ shows the moduals being present in SPD whatever slot they are in yet the system only allows use of one stick

there are no bents pins on the CPU which i read could be an issue so i am left hoping that someone here in the forum has some solutions which may help solve this issue

fingers crossed someone here will be able to help solve this issue

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Soldato
Hi, are you sure this is an 8G kit?

8GB DDR3 (2x4gb) corsair XMS3 (cmx4gx3m2a1333cb)

I would decode as:

cm / x / 4g / x3 / m2 / a / 1333 /cb
Corsair Memory / XMS / 4g kit / DDR3 / 2 modules / Revision A / 1333Mhz / Assume you meant C8?

Decoder here
https://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=80808

Old OCUK link to this kit

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cors...-dual-channel-cmx4gx3m2a1333c8-my-257-cs.html
Good call and should be easy to confirm just by testing with 1 stick which should show 2gb.

Back
Top Bottom