old counter strike players?

Associate
OP
Right then for all your old cs regulars
ill get a server up this week and get a date organised .. will be cs source by the way!
cant wait for a bit of teh troutage!

I haz 4090!
Don
Yep I used to play an absolute ton of CS back the day. I must have been around 17-18 at the time so around 2000? I didn't play on the OcUK servers, I was a Wireplay whore. Used to play as:

MrWorthington*[BEERZnWORMZ]

and then later

Worthy*[BEERZnWORMZ]

Great days, loved every minute of them. I miss the Wireplay browser :(

6v6 is pure CS!

Associate
I started on CS 1.3 or 1.4 (can't remember exactly) and played on and off for about 10 years up to CS:Source and then stopped. I did pick it up again for about 2 weeks when they updated and revamped it recently, but I'd lost my touch - still got a 3:1 kill to death ratio :p

I used to play on the Blueyonder, PCFormat and UKOnline (I think it was called) servers way back when. Good times.

CS is, in my opinion, still the best online multiplayer shooter having played COD/MW2, Battlefield games and Delta Force, there really is no comparison in my eyes.

Last edited:
Soldato
Played loads from late 99 and still dabble a little bit in GO.

I only got into PC gaming because I played Half Life at a mates house, went out and spent £800 on a Currys (Or Comet) E-Machines PC.....oh dear lol. I've never had a shop built PC since so I guess it did teach me something.

Played mostly on Blueyonder servers and 4k as well as our own ones, I might have popped on OcUk but I really don't remember.

Soldato
Ah, I loved CS when it was first released. Missed the end of the betas, but started almost immediately after 1.0 came out. Played regularly with mates doing a kind of hotseat tag team arrangement.

It was an utter joy to be part of it at that time. The game was still new to most people and everyone seemed to be learning together, there was a good blend of silly playfulness and teamwork. Certainly the times we played - 10pm into the wee hours - everyone seemed to be have a whale of a time in general.

Many times I remember us still playing as the sun came up and still the servers we used had been full all night. I remember using Jolt servers a lot, but had several other favourites too whose name now escapes me.

I thought the community was getting a bit toxic at the time I stopped playing (around the release of 1.4) - lots of younger kids seemed to pour into the game, there was a massive upshoot in cheating, and the incessant accusations of cheating and the bickering that started up with that were almost as bad. Seemed the fun went out of it a bit, although that may just be nostalgia talking.

I tried CS: Source a little bit many years later, but didn't feel the same enjoyment. Probably lacking the friends I used to play with. One of my old online buddies mentioned getting GO the other day so I grabbed it as well. It's all... different. It's interesting how well I remember the map layouts over a gap of 14 years or so, but I'm not quite into it yet. Also I seem to have completely lost any knack for the game I may have once possessed.

Also played a lot of W:ET in those days and still don't think either of those game have been bettered in multiplayer terms in the years since.

Last edited:
Associate
1.6 was the best. It's not how it used to be back in those days...

12 hour sessions with a can of strongbow... ahh the bliss....

Never really took to the new ones. Willing to give it another bash. steam name "A21"

Caporegime
I think "game saturation" is also a part of it. CS was *the* dominant game for the best part of a decade and just about *everyone* played it, if they played online or weren't explicitly disliking CS, and the lack of a matchmaker system meant everyone played on community run servers and well.. formed communities :E - even ClanBase/EnemyDown and whatnot was community based and meant you regularly played with/against the same players and made friends (and enemies.. looking at you Rex, ya kernutt).

These days, with match making, and that there is such a spread of games available, and even within games like CoD having a new Barbie hat DLC every 5 minutes, the "gaming community" as a whole is very split up and most "community" gaming is with people you were friends with outside of that particular game to start with.

Not that it's a bad thing, it's just different. Having lots of choice is good.

Soldato
I think "game saturation" is also a part of it. CS was *the* dominant game for the best part of a decade and just about *everyone* played it, if they played online or weren't explicitly disliking CS, and the lack of a matchmaker system meant everyone played on community run servers and well.. formed communities :E - even ClanBase/EnemyDown and whatnot was community based and meant you regularly played with/against the same players and made friends (and enemies.. looking at you Rex, ya kernutt).

These days, with match making, and that there is such a spread of games available, and even within games like CoD having a new Barbie hat DLC every 5 minutes, the "gaming community" as a whole is very split up and most "community" gaming is with people you were friends with outside of that particular game to start with.

That was the best part of it back in the day with regular severs and players (OcUK and UOcUK clans) it was a home from home sometimes - these days when venturing online I tend to mute everyone and barely interact :(

Associate

That was the best part of it back in the day with regular severs and players (OcUK and UOcUK clans) it was a home from home sometimes - these days when venturing online I tend to mute everyone and barely interact :(

Reading this makes me sad, for me it was Wolfenstein: ET, but similar concept :( - Haven't given it a lot of thought in the past but matchmaking ladders really have taken something away from online competitive games :(.

Back
Top Bottom