OLD motherboard - ASrock dual vsta + ati 7850??

Associate
It might work, but the card would be bottlenecked beyond reason by not only the processor but also the fact that it's a PCI-E 1st gen slot running at x4

Soldato
Might work, although VIA chipsets are a bit of an unknown quantity. I wouldn't fancy it though for the following reason :
1 x PCI Express Graphics slot (@ x4 mode)

You'd be running a PCI-E 3.0 card at PCI-E 1.0 4x. That's 1/16th of the bandwidth you'd get on a PCI-E v3 16x slot which is a severe bottleneck.

Swap the board.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
ah that sucks! Looks like i'll just have to do a whole new build. Any idea for a cheap graphics card of a similar gen that would work for the time being? Just want to be able to play wow, league of legends and counter strike at decent fps.

Associate
OP
This isn't my main pc, it was given to me by a friend as I only have a laptop atm. It's got a crappy gfx card that is in the vga slot lol, so anything would be better. It has 2gb ram and a dual core 4200xp cpu, so it's not terrible.

Man of Honour
That board kept cropping up as having problems with pci-e 2.0 cards when they came out let alone pci-e 3.0 cards. As the others have said though, the card would be so bottlenecked it would'nt be worth trying.

Are you sure you got the right board because that's a intel 775 board and you said it has a AMD 4200 in it. They are not compatible.

Back
Top Bottom