1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Old newspapers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jeff Lynne, 11 Sep 2009.

1. Jeff Lynne

Banned

I'm scanning things out of old newspapers onto my PC and there are annoyingly some pictures that I want to scan that have folds in them.

Is there anything that I can do, before or after scanning that would get rid of the fold marks?

The papers don't belong to me and have been will'ed (is that a word?) to be left to the library from the owner so the slightest hint of damage is a no no.

2. MowyTone

Mobster

use an iron. put tea towel over the paper and iron it flat

edit: I like your thinking there SideWinder ;)

3. SideWinder

Consigliere

Is there a safe way of ironing it? Perhaps put a towel on top of the newspaper and iron it like that?

4. TheMightyTen

Soldato

Carefully iron them. My Grandfather used to work at a large country house and had to iron the papers every morning for 20 years.

Experiment on a paper of your own to get the right temperature and wipe and dry the iron face between every paper so you don't accidentally transfer print.

5. Goldy

Wise Guy

'Bequeathed' is the word you're looking for.

Good luck with the creases.

6. Jeff Lynne

Banned

Bequeathed sounds about right!

I love the idea of having to iron the daily papers too, I shall give it a go. Most of the pages are cuttings that have been put into a4 clear holders in a ringbinder so lots of them are creased.

It's a big job!