• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Old Nvidia Graphics Card upgrade advice

Associate
Hi,

I don’t have enough money to buy a new pc at the moment so I want to upgrade my graphics card so till will last a little longer. I have about £200 to spend, can you recommend what second hand card I buy?

Current specs:

Intel i7 930 @ 2.80GHz

24GB Ram

Asus gtx 680 directcu ii

I have seen Nvidia 980ti going for under £200 but I am not sure if that is a good buy for what I currently have. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Soldato
Your PSU is missing. I'd also say wait a week or two, there's some new cards coming out that will be just in that price range: RX 5500. Right now a 1660 wouldn't be bad either. There's also a 1660 Super coming out and that might also be £200ish, but hard to say atm. Probably not, knowing Nvidia.

Used, I've seen some 1070s go for £200 or less (which is a newer slightly more powerful version of a 980ti). I would honestly not buy these older type of GPUs though, unless you got a really good price for them (eg £150). They all have weaker DX12 & Vulkan performance and the gap isn't large enough vs the newer cards that are slightly less powerful in DX11 etc In your case it's not going to be a big difference anyway because your CPU will hold you back, so that's why I'd look at something like the upcoming RX 5500. But we'll see.

Associate
OP
Yes, I am using the PC for gaming on a 1440p @ 60htz (no FreeSync or GSync) screen - mainly playing Doom and Gta 5 at the moment.

£200 is my upper limit I was looking at the 980ti as it is going for around £100-150 second hand.

Will the 980ti be bottlenecked by my cpu?

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom