Old processor, graphics card upgrade?

Associate
My 5 year old PC is struggling to run things above 30fps so looking for a graphics card upgrade, potentially the ASUS ROG STRIX GTX1060 O6G.

Current specs:

AMD FX-6350 Six-core processor 4.40 GHz (OC)

16gb Mushkin Enhanced BlackLine Frostbyte

Asus Radeon R9 270X DirectCUII

500W Power Supply

120 gb SSD and 1TB HDD

Asus VG278HE LCD Monitor

Thanks for any suggestions,

Dylan

Soldato
Hello mate, and welcome to the forums... You should head over to the new members section and introduce yourself there, it's a fantastic community.

That said, what's your budget? Others will know better but I'd be slightly concerned about possible bottlenecking and whether your PSU was up to the task. However as far as the 1060 cards go there isn't much better than the Strix.

Associate
As per Vidar, what's your budget?

@Vidar although an older CPU, would a 6-core be a concern for bottlenecking?

According to TechPowerUp, your current card only draws slightly less power, personally I think your PSU would be fine. Which mobo do you have?

power_peak.png

Soldato
My 5 year old PC is struggling to run things above 30fps so looking for a graphics card upgrade, potentially the ASUS ROG STRIX GTX1060 O6G.

Current specs:

AMD FX-6350 Six-core processor 4.40 GHz (OC)

16gb Mushkin Enhanced BlackLine Frostbyte

Asus Radeon R9 270X DirectCUII

500W Power Supply

120 gb SSD and 1TB HDD

Asus VG278HE LCD Monitor

Thanks for any suggestions,

Dylan

posted this up on another thread link this but cant find it-

if your going to get the strix then

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £476.43
(includes shipping: £10.50)

Associate
OP
Hello mate, and welcome to the forums... You should head over to the new members section and introduce yourself there, it's a fantastic community.

That said, what's your budget? Others will know better but I'd be slightly concerned about possible bottlenecking and whether your PSU was up to the task. However as far as the 1060 cards go there isn't much better than the Strix.

Thanks a lot Vidar, I am also worried about bottlenecking but thought it might just about cope with it. I am willing to spend around £700 to upgrade the rig entirely (if necessary). Ideally I want to record/stream gameplay simultaneously which my current CPU probably won't handle. Shadowplay currently works fine.

As per Vidar, what's your budget?

@Vidar although an older CPU, would a 6-core be a concern for bottlenecking?

According to TechPowerUp, your current card only draws slightly less power, personally I think your PSU would be fine. Which mobo do you have?

Thanks for the info tactical, hopefully it will just about cope! If not, Orbitalwalshs' suggestion sounds like a solid overall upgrade. I have a GIGABYTE GA-970A-UD3P AMD 970 + SB950 Chipset.

Associate
Your FX six core is woefully underpowered for today's games. It's less powerful than a 1st generation i7.

I suggest that you get yourself a new machine, based around something like an 8600K (coming in a week) which is a six core i5.

Soldato
Thanks for the info tactical, hopefully it will just about cope! If not, Orbitalwalshs' suggestion sounds like a solid overall upgrade. I have a GIGABYTE GA-970A-UD3P AMD 970 + SB950 Chipset.

haha, normally I quote Gigabyte boards but since you life the strix card thought it might be logical and my OCD kicking in....

Total: £201.04
(includes shipping: £11.10)

****sorry- misread your post lol. Just noted that the card using in the video i liked is the HD 6970 which is close to yours - so straight awa you'd see gains keeping your card... but would see bigger gains getting a 1060... food for thought

Last edited:
Soldato
My 5 year old PC is struggling to run things above 30fps so looking for a graphics card upgrade, potentially the ASUS ROG STRIX GTX1060 O6G

Never mind 30 fps; your monitor is capable of 144 Hz and a GTX 1060 will struggle to take advantage of that in newer games. I suggest you stretch to a GTX 1070.

Total: £398.69
(includes shipping: £8.70)

Obviously a GTX 1080 would be even better. :)

I concur with the CPU / motherboard / RAM replacement and waiting for the new Intel CPUs. You should also consider replacing the PSU.

Associate
haha, normally I quote Gigabyte boards but since you life the strix card thought it might be logical and my OCD kicking in....

Total: £201.04
(includes shipping: £11.10)

****sorry- misread your post lol. Just noted that the card using in the video i liked is the HD 6970 which is close to yours - so straight awa you'd see gains keeping your card... but would see bigger gains getting a 1060... food for thought

I have the same set up as this guy

what is the difference between these two boards ?

Associate
I have the same set up as this guy

what is the difference between these two boards ?

Ones Micro-ATX, ones normal ATX
  • Socket AM4
  • Ryzen 7 "Zen" Support
  • 4x DDR4 DIMM
  • 3x PCIE x16
  • 2x PCIE x1
  • 6x SATA 6Gb/s
  • 1x M.2 PCIE
  • 4x USB 3.0
  • 2x USB 3.1 TypeA
  • 5x USB 2.0
vs
  • Socket AM4
  • Ryzen 7 "Zen" Support
  • 4x DDR4 DIMM
  • 2x PCIE x16
  • 1x PCIE x1
  • 6x SATA 6Gb/s
  • 1x M.2 PCIE
  • 4x USB 3.1
  • 2x USB 3.1 TypeA
  • 6x USB 2.0
So the smaller board has less PCI-E slots but more USB ports, and costs £14 less.

Soldato
Last edited:
Soldato
Can't see anything on the product page about that.

Also once you plug a gfx card into the slot, you won't see it, so what would be the point?

The point of it is , as well as all other vendors doing it is to stop users breaking their boards hahaha .
Users can actually pulling the slot out of the board when removing their GPU . Stupid yes, but happens - enough for it to go from a marketing ploy to actually being standard design

Back
Top Bottom