1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Olympic Opening Ceremony

Discussion in 'London 2012' started by ChroniC, 21 Jun 2012.

1. Von Smallhausen

Man of Honour

He was gold medal winner at Rome in 1960 and went on to dominate the heavyweight division. He epitomises everything about what sport is, he is arguably the best athlete of all time, certainly the greatest heavyweight of all time and in the eyes of many he is the best pound for pound of all time.

Welcome to London I say.

2. Tikkabhuna

Hitman

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I saw her say "Wave Muhammed, Wave". :(

I was shocked at how much the stage changed. If I had just tuned in half way through I would have never believed that the original set was there!

3. qqg3

Soldato

Fantastically original and very British. Completely different and very entertaining, I'd say Boyle did something awesome tonight. 9/10

4. StriderX

Caporegime

A very spiritual ceremony, I'd say.

5. Destination

Capodecina

I agree with what you are saying, about a boxer, who won a medal 60 years ago. Greatest heavyweight yes, pound for pound, debatable. Everyone else in that final runup represented something, what was he there for? I either missed it in the commentary, or there wasn't a specific reason?

6. timmy85

Hitman

i really enjoyed that and I wasn't expecting too at all. although I dod think the parade went on forever!

7. Wolf11

Hitman

Wow -I thought the whole thing was amazing(and waaaay better than I was expecting).. I loved the little bits of British humour thrown in.Thought it was incredibly well done and I also was very very proud to be British while watching it..well done to all involved. The only thing I would have changed is no Artic Monkeys and no McCartney-as I thought they spoiled it lol ! .

8. XRAY

Wise Guy

[​IMG]

9. Collider

Hitman

I would also have done away with the Hey Jude stuff because its been done a million times before. But I should think the crowd at the stadium enjoyed it.

10. Destination

Capodecina

Kelly Holmes said something in the build I thought very interesting, 75% of the UK team are competing for the first time. Will be a great achievement to do as well or better the previous games. I know many will have been building towards this, but i think we will have a few new household names out of the next couple of weeks. I recognised few of the athletes as they entered the arena, when they are out of their gear.

11. fozzybear

Sgarrista

Has anyone found out who the guy was making the Nazi salutes? :eek:

12. mithrandir

Mobster

The technical rehearsals ran up until around 10:15, the house party bit with the WWW inventor.
    Personally I didn't think the show translated as well on screen, it was a great feel when in the stadium.

Spectaular finale, got some decent shots of the Red arrows and of some fireworks. Looking forward to the game snow :D

13. Collider

Hitman

We had thought we had imagined that!

14. Flibster

Caporegime

German Ambassador to the UK - Georg Boomgaarden

15. Tikkabhuna

Hitman

I'm going to say he was just waving.

16. DJMK4

Capodecina

I did actually enjoy that, there were some parts where you were cringing but overall we put on a good show I thought, love the whole building the circles industry thing.

17. Castiel

Perma Banned

I think he is an excellent role model and despite not being invested in the Olympiad, he did more to secure and promote Britain and the Olympics than any other single person, he deserves recognition for that. I don't particularly like Steve Redgrave after his bad temper during comic relief....but as an Olympian he deserves his place. I am pleased it was the young athletes that lit the cauldron though.

Now I can go back to watching more interesting things until the closing ceremony. :)

18. StriderX

Caporegime

Dear lord, lol.

19. Scon

Wise Guy

20. Pate

PermaBanned

That texting scene was so so so dire. It showed a face of Britain that no one really wants to see.

The rest was superb.