1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

olympus - phpbb 3.0 beta

Discussion in 'HTML, Graphics & Programming' started by Van Hellseek, 9 Jul 2006.

1. Van Hellseek

Capodecina

has anyone tried the olympus beta yet? if so what do you think of it?

i'm just installing it now.

Last edited: 9 Jul 2006
  2. Trigger

Mobster

Where do you get it from? I can't find it :confused:

3. Van Hellseek

Capodecina

4. xyphic

Wise Guy

Just installed it -- on first impressions, it all looks very nice. The admin interface has been improved beyond recognition, and there are a heck of a lot more features to get used to.

Will have a play around now to see what it can do!

5. Van Hellseek

Capodecina

dammit, i get this error in the final stage of installation. :mad:

Last edited: 9 Jul 2006
  6. tolien

Caporegime

The theme's supposedly getting replaced with a new (secret) one later on too.

Been playing with it since long before the beta. It's good, but it's been on the go for a loooooong time. If you don't want to be using out of date code, you might want to try a CVS checkout.

Usual rules apply either way though, don't use it on a production site, and don't expect to be able to convert your data to work on either the next beta, a RC, or the release version. :)

7. robmiller

Capodecina

Is it utter dross like phpBB 2.x or did they get their arses into gear for this one?

8. xyphic

Wise Guy

Certainly feature wise they've pulled out most of the stops. It's got a *lot* of admin/mod stuff that was sorely missing. Looks quite similar in style to 2.x but as stated above, apparently it'll be replaced for the final version.

I've only ever used phpBB and vBulletin, and it feels like something of a hybrid between the two. All in all, apart from one or two bugs, looking good so far.

9. robmiller

Capodecina

Does it still require modification of core files to extend it?

10. tolien

Caporegime

There's a "module management" option within the ACP, though I don't see anything for uploading modules, and the currently listed modules are the ACP, UCP and Mod CP.

I'd expect a version of EasyMod to emerge at/after release, at the very least.

11. xyphic

Wise Guy

Looks like you can add things into these, but like you say doesn't look like you can have other modules at the moment. It does mean you can add functionality to the admin, user and mod control panels fairly easily (and do this without changing existing code I think).

It also seems though if you want to mod the forum, it has to be done in the traditional 'hack the code' way (albeit with a newish MODX description format). Forum posts indicate that EasyMOD is being updated to use this format, and should be ready before the release of phpBB3. I've never been a fan of the phpBB way of doing mods, because it's so easy to get something wrong when upgrading phpBB, and it's also hard to keep mods up-to-date. I doubt this is going to change much unfortunately. :(

Seems from reading their posts on the phpBB forum, it's not something the developers are particularly interested in tackling.

12. tolien

Caporegime

Given the time it's taken for Olympus to get where it has, I doubt the developers want to tackle very much right now. :(

13. robmiller

Capodecina

Ugh, I hate that. It just means that people are reluctant to keep their installs up-to-date, which is a really bad thing given the problems they've had with security in the past. Looks like I'm sticking with punBB :(

14. xyphic

Wise Guy

It's a shame because I'm sure there must be an elegant way of dealing with modifications. Hopefully given the number of features in Olympus, *hopefully* there won't be much need for major modifications. :)

15. andrewbell1984

PermaBanned

Hopefully they release a built in mod just like nutz's.