OMG This is a ******* disgrace

GeX

GeX

Soldato
don't really see the issue, yes they were clouting it with a spade - but hardly looked like he was putting a lot of force into it. Pretty sure if they were trying to be cruel then they'd have hit much harder

Soldato
Initially at least, and mostly as far as I can tell by a heavily edited video, the animal was tapped on the nose with the shovel - not hit with it. For an animal that size and strength it was hardly excessive.

Has any dog owner never given their pet a tap on the nose for being naughty?

I don't know why they didn't tranquilise it, perhaps they didn't want to risk the animal dieing and didn't think the situation warranted it. I do know every wildlife drama I see they are always concerned about the animal waking up after being darted and I doubt we ever see the episodes where they didn't.

Soldato
Eurgh, he doesnt half twist its neck into a nasty looking position near the end there. What I don't understand is how it starts with the initial keeper getting attacked, then the other guy comes and ends up getting attacked instead, then the third guy comes along and also ends up getting knocked down and pinned. Surely they could have just grabbed him by the antlers and retreated back to the gate then close it? /boggle

Soldato
Where are these idiots based? Polish or something???????

http://www.break.com/index/reindeer-attacks-zookeeper.html

1.) Blaming the polish :rolleyes::rolleyes:

2.) The woman has been injured by the crazed deer and is bleeding everywhere. What the hell are they supposed to do, let it hurt them some more because of its animal rights :rolleyes:

Also to those crying 'tranq' gun, do you really think that equipment is just lieing around for anyone to use. No doubt the sedatives and drugs will be pretty powerful and certainly wouldn't be available for all to use, and will most likely be locked up. Who's to know that said tranqs arn't stored on the other side of zoo site.

Have some more roll eyes :rolleyes:;)

Soldato
Eurgh, he doesnt half twist its neck into a nasty looking position near the end there. What I don't understand is how it starts with the initial keeper getting attacked, then the other guy comes and ends up getting attacked instead, then the third guy comes along and also ends up getting knocked down and pinned. Surely they could have just grabbed him by the antlers and retreated back to the gate then close it? /boggle

I guess he's trying to get the animal to ground but doesn't quite know how.

That combined with the tapping on the nose suggests they've had a brochure or half our video on how to handle the reindeer and it isn't enough when faced with an angry male in season.

I'd suggest they didn't just retreat because they wanted the animal out of the enclosure with the females - perhaps they think he would attack them?

Who knows, I'm sure they're doing what they've been trained to do, badly, and it looks worse than it is because we are even more clueless on handling large animals than they are.

If they've gone too far they will face discipline but I'd hate for them to made scapegoats for the Zoo's inadequate training.

Caporegime
?

croutons.jpg

Family reunion, 2008, good times!

Soldato
OP
1.) Blaming the polish :rolleyes::rolleyes:

2.) The woman has been injured by the crazed deer and is bleeding everywhere. What the hell are they supposed to do, let it hurt them some more because of its animal rights :rolleyes:

Also to those crying 'tranq' gun, do you really think that equipment is just lieing around for anyone to use. No doubt the sedatives and drugs will be pretty powerful and certainly wouldn't be available for all to use, and will most likely be locked up. Who's to know that said tranqs arn't stored on the other side of zoo site.

Have some more roll eyes :rolleyes:;)

So the GAIA are in the wrong to sue the zoo in question :rolleyes: for you too.

Excessive force has been used clearly. The women wants a part of it even after she is no longer in the frame.

Shame on them

Last edited:
Soldato
So the GAIA are in the wrong to sue the zoo in question :rolleyes: for you too.

Excessive force has been used clearly.

You seem to think bodies such as GAIA are always correct when they try and sue someone? No, they will try and sue anyone for anything, especially if it gets them media coverage.

Excessive force wasn't used at all. You have to remember that come mating season male reindeer fight, and then clash with such force that if applied to a human would cause serious injury or death. In other words, it'd take a hell of a lot to hurt one.

A few taps with a shovel are hardly going to bother it and believe it or not, it was a better method than resorting to tranqs as the have all sorts of issues with them, the main one, being death.

Soldato
because 2:39 is clearly a tap

Oh I'm sorry, what did you want them to do? Tell it "bad reindeer" and hope it gives a toss? Wait for the chap with a tranq gun to turn up and possibly have a mauled person on your hands?

No really, what would you have done? Bearing in mind that your duty is to protect the other keepers first, then the animal.

Soldato
because 2:48 is clearly a tap

To a reindeer yes.

It's subjective to the thing being hit. For instance, If I was to punch you in the face you end up on your backside with a nice bruise, if I was to punch a child with the same force I'd probably kill it.

I've tried to find some videos online to back this up but can't find any :S

Sure I had some documentaries somewhere with reindeer fighting, it's nasty stuff!

Caporegime
No really, what would you have done? Bearing in mind that your duty is to protect the other keepers first, then the animal.

Given that they had three people, and they manged to get the reindeer pretty well restrained by holding it's antlers and bending the neck, worked the reindeer into a position near the door made their exit and locked the animal in. Or tranq'd it.

Also, frankly, the zoo should have procedures and staff training in place to deal with situations like this. Whacking it with a shovel shouldn't be part of that.

Back
Top Bottom