OMG This is a ******* disgrace

Soldato
Lol sorry, I didn't realise you were such a badass.

I'm not, I just don't like people thinking they are being clever by assuming someone else is talking crap. I was purely pointing out that not everyone on here is a skinny pale keyboard wielding manic :)

Some of us have lives outside the forum that include things like boxing etc, isn't it Gord on here that is built like a brick **** house for instance? I certainly wouldn't want a punch from him! :D

Soldato
Didn't see much wrong in the video TBH?

They subdued the animal. The animal didn't seem to be badly injured/at all injured and i'm willing to bet being tapped by a shovel is much less painful than what they normally experience in the wild, when they fight.

Soldato
I'm not, I just don't like people thinking they are being clever by assuming someone else is talking crap. I was purely pointing out that not everyone on here is a skinny pale keyboard wielding manic :)

Some of us have lives outside the forum that include things like boxing etc, isn't it Gord on here that is built like a brick **** house for instance? I certainly wouldn't want a punch from him! :D

Point taken, but I wasn't trying to be clever, and I didn't assume you where talking crap.

I just took the mick a little:)

Soldato
Poor thing! :( Can't believe they were hitting it in the head with a shovel. How the hell is that going to fix the situation?!

More people should have been on the scene to help out and gently roll it onto it's side (so that they could get free and leave it be) instead of having it wrestle two or three zookeepers for a couple of minutes.

Soldato
If i was in that situation and he penatrated me i would let out a royal alpha roar and snap off a piece of antler and shove it into its chest. Finally i would lift him above my head, and look at the others to let them know not to mess with me. Finally i would bring him down onto my knee for the killing blow, then toss him to one side.

Caporegime
. Surely they could have just grabbed him by the antlers and retreated back to the gate then close it? /boggle

I think you'd have been thrown to the floor then trampled/gored with the antlers if you even tried to hold him by them.

They smash the things into and grapple with other massive reindeer with them, a human has no chance.

If they where being cruel they would have just stabbed it with the blade of the shovel not tapped it with it.

Soldato
Poor thing! :( Can't believe they were hitting it in the head with a shovel. How the hell is that going to fix the situation?!

More people should have been on the scene to help out and gently roll it onto it's side (so that they could get free and leave it be) instead of having it wrestle two or three zookeepers for a couple of minutes.
:confused: This is a strong animal with antlers that slice through skin. You can't treat them like house pets and "gently" roll them over. You saw how it was pushing over and pinning grown men without much effort right?

Caporegime
What were they hoping to achieve by attacking it with a shovel? it's not like it can run off when they're holding it by the antlers.

Last edited:
Caporegime
The animal didn't seem to be badly injured/at all injured and i'm willing to bet being tapped by a shovel is much less painful than what they normally experience in the wild, when they fight.

Firstly, really bad things happen to animals in the wild all the time. Most wild animals leads crummy lives and die miserable deaths. It doesn't excuse treatment that mirrors it in a zoo setting.

Secondly, reindeer do fight, yes, but they mostly fight by butting heads, their necks and skulls have evolved to take impacts like that. Being smacked in the nose with a metal shovel is a rather different matter.

Soldato
Seeing at its antlers were looking well developed and its nob was hanging out I would suspect rutting season was close.

I bet it thought the bin/man was a competing male.

Reindeer often lose parts of their antlers while fighting. They are shed each winter then grow back in time for the rutting season so no permanent damage was done.

I agree the video looks brutal but do any of you know the danger posed by a rutting male? Maybe it needed to be subdued and moved isolation.

Did you see the keeper pinned to the floor with blood pouring from his neck?

This.

People get funny about animal rights and fair enough if they were all clear of the reindeer and standing round pelting it with bricks or bashing it with a shovel for no reason but they were trying to rescue someone from a pretty ******* off reindeer.

They never hit it overly hard so calm yourself down. If they had wanted to hurt it im sure they could have.

But hey thats what you get in land called Polish :p :rolleyes:

Soldato
If i was in that situation and he penatrated me i would let out a royal alpha roar and snap off a piece of antler and shove it into its chest. Finally i would lift him above my head, and look at the others to let them know not to mess with me. Finally i would bring him down onto my knee for the killing blow, then toss him to one side.

rofl, awesome, your fishfingers are ready.

Soldato
:confused: This is a strong animal with antlers that slice through skin. You can't treat them like house pets and "gently" roll them over. You saw how it was pushing over and pinning grown men without much effort right?

I know it's a strong animal! :p But you could have at least rolled it onto it's side and got away in the time it took to get back up I would have thought provided it had been planned well and you were quick as well! :D More risk involved that way and a barrier to fend it off would have been ideal in this situation but at least you don't have a reindeer having it's antlers broken, neck twisted and hit on the head with a shovel.

Caporegime
I know it's a strong animal! :p But you could have at least rolled it onto it's side and got away in the time it took to get back up I would have thought provided it had been planned well and you were quick as well! :D More risk involved that way and a barrier to fend it off would have been ideal in this situation but at least you don't have a reindeer having it's antlers broken, neck twisted and hit on the head with a shovel.

Where as in your situation a load of people would basically have to throw the thing on it's side (no way in hell are you getting it down gently) where it risks broken ribs, antlers legs and internal damage?

And that;s if it does just get up quickly and charge you as you run away.

Soldato
Where as in your situation a load of people would basically have to throw the thing on it's side (no way in hell are you getting it down gently) where it risks broken ribs, antlers legs and internal damage?

And that;s if it does just get up quickly and charge you as you run away.

I'm no zookeeper or expert on rolling animals over :p but if you had a couple of people on one side and a couple on the other then you could get it down gently enough. The danger there of course that by having more people you cause more stress but I think given how distressed the animal looked anyway it wouldn't have exacerbated the situation any further.

Anything is better than what actually happened though. I mean, it is pretty shocking to find a zookeeper hitting an animal on the head with a shovel and I'd be surprised if she didn't lose her job over that. Her number one priority is for the welfare of the animal she has been assigned to look after (no matter what) and well, she failed in my opinion.

Caporegime
I'm no zookeeper or expert on rolling animals over :p but if you had a couple of people on one side and a couple on the other then you could get it down gently enough.

And what happens to the poor woman getting attacked while you run of to find a load of people?

:confused:

Soldato
a lot more humane than being eaten by a polar bear or a pack of wolves.

If it had attacked me like that it would have got a swift knee to his happy sacks.

Back
Top Bottom