On The Wagon... then in 'ere!

Don
A week into not drinking for me, first time quite honestly in probably 20+ years, I'm also doing a keto diet with the missus. So I'm not sure which one is making me feel like poo :p

But seriously, really not that difficult thus far and I am very definitely a heavy drinker if not an alcoholic.

Health wise it's obviously not sensible to go instantly cold turkey so I've got a few mates who are doctors and paramedics keeping an eye on me, decent amount of vitamin b12 is all I've needed thus far.

No real intention to give up forever, shall just see what difference a month or two of the sauce (source?) does for me :)

Associate
A week into not drinking for me, first time quite honestly in probably 20+ years, I'm also doing a keto diet with the missus. So I'm not sure which one is making me feel like poo :p

But seriously, really not that difficult thus far and I am very definitely a heavy drinker if not an alcoholic.

Health wise it's obviously not sensible to go instantly cold turkey so I've got a few mates who are doctors and paramedics keeping an eye on me, decent amount of vitamin b12 is all I've needed thus far.

No real intention to give up forever, shall just see what difference a month or two of the sauce (source?) does for me :)
Similar to yourself, last couple of years I've drunk every single night despite knowing its no good for me. Lockdown had me drinking even more, stress related and you begin to think that drinking relieves the stress. The missus finally told me she was concerned for my health and it was a kick up the arse I needed. Anyway decided to go dry this month, didn't drink NYE, and so far haven't had a drop. I seem to be sleeping better, fewer hours but the quality of sleep is obviously better. Reading through this thread has been pretty enlightening for me, especially posters like @phonemonkey - I'm not sure I want to go back to drinking once Jan is over, as I reckon I would just fall into the same trap again of drinking every night. I don't think alcohol is something I can have a casual relationship with, seems to be all or nothing.

Don
I don't think alcohol is something I can have a casual relationship with, seems to be all or nothing.

Same mate, I always looked at my mates who came in the pub had a pint or two and left, "how can he do that?" whist I've been there since the first match at 12pm and leave around 2am :p

Should I survive covid I look forward to finding out what is or isn't possible, I shan't say im never drinking again that would be moronic and a lie, but a few days here and there might be viable

good luck to you x

Associate
Interesting thread. My industry is heavy on the drink (and for a lot...some pretty hard drugs and other vices...) so would find it socially ostracising to give it up. However I have tried to cut down a lot recently and have tried to cut down my usual drinks in the evening and just have the "social" drinks.

Been quite handy that they have closed down the baess etc. Not to mention that it saves a fortune. Paying 25-30 CHF for each cocktail soon mounts up. Must be saving an extra 500 a week min even before the usual food and travel etc.

Associate
Same mate, I always looked at my mates who came in the pub had a pint or two and left, "how can he do that?" whist I've been there since the first match at 12pm and leave around 2am :p

Should I survive covid I look forward to finding out what is or isn't possible, I shan't say im never drinking again that would be moronic and a lie, but a few days here and there might be viable

good luck to you x

I have this problem as well, always the last group at the end of the night!

Don
I grew up working trade markets in the city, so working hard and playing a lot harder was the norm, I don't think I ever let that ethos go, didn't help I then spent the best part of 15 years in the french alps, where having shots before work was the norm and apres work/ski was just apocalyptically alcoholic, rinse repeat every day for months and then years :p

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't forced to do or drink anything (mostly!) I didn't want to, I also have no regrets, but I know exactly why I find it so easy to drink the amount I do, it's a lifetime of repetition and habit.

Associate
Similar to yourself, last couple of years I've drunk every single night despite knowing its no good for me. Lockdown had me drinking even more, stress related and you begin to think that drinking relieves the stress. The missus finally told me she was concerned for my health and it was a kick up the arse I needed. Anyway decided to go dry this month, didn't drink NYE, and so far haven't had a drop. I seem to be sleeping better, fewer hours but the quality of sleep is obviously better. Reading through this thread has been pretty enlightening for me, especially posters like @phonemonkey - I'm not sure I want to go back to drinking once Jan is over, as I reckon I would just fall into the same trap again of drinking every night. I don't think alcohol is something I can have a casual relationship with, seems to be all or nothing.

I'm glad my ramblings have helped in someway. If I can help more I'm happy to chat further by email, it's in trust :)

To those new to sobriety, particularly @Will Gill @Desperado_under_the_eaves and @cadmunkey I'd say just take it a day at a time. In the 5 years I've been sober I've never said I'll never drink again, I just chose not to drink today. To me making the choice to never drink again seems too big, too permanent and most of all it feels to me that making such a decision would mean I never had to make that choice ever again. That would be fine if it were true but, for me anyway, it's not. I chose to not drink consciously every day. I chose not to buy beer when I'm at the shop, I chose not to nip down to the pub in the evening and I chose to do things that make it possible for me to make those choices everyday. For me not drinking isn't a one off decision I made and could then forget about I need to actively chose the life have now over the life I had everyday. Fortunately for me that got easier with time and practice and it isn't an onerous task. I wish I could show you all where I was and where I am now, to show you that life isn't over when you stop drinking as I once thought instead it really was just beginning. If alcohol took you to even a few of the places it took me then the same could be true for you too. What do you have to lose by seeing? I promise the pub and off licence will still be there if I'm wrong.

Associate
I grew up working trade markets in the city, so working hard and playing a lot harder was the norm, I don't think I ever let that ethos go, didn't help I then spent the best part of 15 years in the french alps, where having shots before work was the norm and apres work/ski was just apocalyptically alcoholic, rinse repeat every day for months and then years :p

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't forced to do or drink anything (mostly!) I didn't want to, I also have no regrets, but I know exactly why I find it so easy to drink the amount I do, it's a lifetime of repetition and habit.

Think I am on the same train you are on. It's fun and necessary. I'm now swiss and they seem to hit it pretty hard as well.

Maybe I'll start having dry days during the week and not worry about the rest. Might put me on the right track

Soldato
My aim was not to drink this weekend but did a bottle of red and a couple of gins Fri night and a few gins last night, tbh last night had low mood and I know a few drinks and YouTube music videos cures it
My only positive was I didn't work Fri but chose to stick to the 2 nights.
I can't see me ever giving up as find it so pleasurable, not unless I can get that seratonin up with other methods

Permabanned
Got through the weekend without coming close to drinking anything. Not going to pretend I didn't miss it but waking up Saturday and Sunday morning without feeling groggy and having a slight headache is obviously a massive win. The 'trick' for me will revolve around making sure there is no alcohol in the house. Luckily, my partner doesn't drink so simply making sure no booze goes in the trolley will be more than half the battle.

Soldato
I've decided to keep the weekend wine, just enjoy it too much, just not going to drink on other potential drinking nights (possible flexi furlogh) I became veggie then vegan no problem but the alcohol is too strong an addiction at the moment and I don't have any other vices

Don
Not really thought about drinking and certainly not craving it, which surprises me to be honest, I was convinced I was utterly addicted.

However, I haven't noticed and notable improvements, due to weird shift patterns I never get a good nights sleep so I still feel hungoveresque even though I haven't had a drop of booze for 10 days.

Soldato
Not really thought about drinking and certainly not craving it, which surprises me to be honest, I was convinced I was utterly addicted.

However, I haven't noticed and notable improvements, due to weird shift patterns I never get a good nights sleep so I still feel hungoveresque even though I haven't had a drop of booze for 10 days.

When i cut out drinking for a spell last year, i think it took around 3 weeks before i started to feel "better". Although i don't think i ever really felt as good as i was expecting to be.

Associate

It takes time. It was about a year or so before my sleep pattern improved and I consistently woke feeling rested. Same with the rest of my life: my financial management didn't suddenly improve not did my relationships, problem solving or approach to life.

It took years for me to dig myself into that hole, it was unrealistic of me to think I'll climb out in a few days or weeks. The good thing, for me anyway, was that although I didn't see noticeable improvements early on, life became just a smidge better and more manageable most days. Part of my recovery was (and is) to look for and appreciate those things, even if they were small.

I lost track of the amount of times I woke up grateful for waking in a dry bed for example, or went to bed being grateful for remembering how I got to bed for example. Slowly, unnoticed, those things became bigger and better.

I suppose what I'm saying is that getting sober wasn't a crossing the finish line moment for me, an all the work done now let's have cake and medals moment. For me it was crossing the start line when the real work of coping with life and my problems and of rebuilding what is broken began. It's a race I could not have run drunk and it's one race I don't regret running (even if I am still running it).

Last edited:
Don
I appreciate you candour, it sounds like you are fighting the good fight and I applaud you for it. I suppose what I am about to say might be typical denial/alcoholic talk. I honestly don't think I'm that bad, I'm aware I drink too much but really don't think it's affecting my day to day existence, at least not the detriment of my work, family, finances or friends.

I am however very aware I should cut down, drastically.

I will continue to not drink for the duration of the current lockdown and then see where I go from there, Ideally that would see me in the pub a few times a month, rather than a few times a day.

Associate
I appreciate you candour, it sounds like you are fighting the good fight and I applaud you for it. I suppose what I am about to say might be typical denial/alcoholic talk. I honestly don't think I'm that bad, I'm aware I drink too much but really don't think it's affecting my day to day existence, at least not the detriment of my work, family, finances or friends.

I am however very aware I should cut down, drastically.

I will continue to not drink for the duration of the current lockdown and then see where I go from there, Ideally that would see me in the pub a few times a month, rather than a few times a day.

Do people who don't have a problem think about the impact that their drinking has on their life? Do they consider cutting down? Never mind cutting down 'drastically' as you put it.

Finally, do most people frequent a pub a few times a day, as you just you currently do (or at least did until they shut at any rate).

The non problem drinkers I know wouldn't feel the need to have their medical friends supervise them should they need to stop drinking for some reason.

If your brother, sister, close friend or whatever drank the way you do would you consider them to have a problem?

I'd strongly encourage you to think about these questions honestly and consider where you want to go from there.

I'll be honest mate, I've been there and I've heard thousands of stories from those who've also been there over the years and I'm inclined to agree with your statement that what you've written is typical denial.

Good luck what ever you decide. As with anyone in this thread of I can help, I'd be delighted to. Email is in trust.

Four years today for me.

Nice one, that's no small achievement!

Permabanned
Coming in to my third consecutive weekend alcohol free and definitely feel better about it than last week. So far so good and think I am generally feeling a bit healthier with slightly increased energy (less lethargic) etc.

Don
Do people who don't have a problem think about the impact that their drinking has on their life? Do they consider cutting down? Never mind cutting down 'drastically' as you put it.

Finally, do most people frequent a pub a few times a day, as you just you currently do (or at least did until they shut at any rate).

The non problem drinkers I know wouldn't feel the need to have their medical friends supervise them should they need to stop drinking for some reason.

If your brother, sister, close friend or whatever drank the way you do would you consider them to have a problem?

I'd strongly encourage you to think about these questions honestly and consider where you want to go from there.

I'll be honest mate, I've been there and I've heard thousands of stories from those who've also been there over the years and I'm inclined to agree with your statement that what you've written is typical denial.

Good luck what ever you decide. As with anyone in this thread of I can help, I'd be delighted to. Email is in trust.

Nice one, that's no small achievement!

Thanks for the support it's heartwarming to know we are not alone in our united struggles against the mighty bottle :)

Regarding my post and your response, I'm sure there is definitely an element of denial, but the way I've been feeling and how I consider my circumstances now, I honestly I think I've got this, I know my previous posts and ramblings make me sound a great deal more alcoholic than I might be, so I feel I should add a bit more meat to the bone(s).

I live in a tiny fishing village the social centres of which are the pub and the social club, said club is also where I am the chairman and work(ed, it's obviously closed now) part-time during the C19 crisis due to staff shielding, it's also where all the locals come to watch the rugby or other sporting events.
So it's not uncommon over the weekend to watch 6 games of rugby, rotate on and off shift behind the bar and begrudgingly/obviously have a few bevvies in the process. The club also houses the local taverna/pizzeria so we usually (during the weekend) end up eating out too. That's an explanation as to why I'm always in there, at least over the weekends, weekdays I seldom venture in there unless a work meeting, training or committee engagement means I end up walking past the front door :p

Regarding the medical assistance, I am for my sins the community first responder so by association I know and socially hang around with a lot of paramedics, doctors etc.. I don't hide how much I drink, and I said I was planning to give up the doctor mentioned I might well be dependant and going cold turkey isn't always the greatest idea, as such I should keep an eye on my vitals, stock up on vitamin b12 and if anything went awry to contact him/them. Thus far it's been uneventful, the only symptom has been a welcome amount of weight loss (circa a stone as we speak).

Guess we shall see where this year takes us in terms of lockdowns and such, but two weeks in I'm finding it surprisingly easy, maybe that will change.

Back
Top Bottom