One Car for the next 10 years

Caporegime
F-150 Platinum. What I have now but a nicer interior and more toys.

I may well keep this one for 10 years so made that decision when buying!

Good ground clearance, 4x4, practical, comfortable and with a nice V8 burble and nice and speedy.

Soldato
Allegro Vanden Plas or a very nice Morris Ital.

You jest of course - Jack the Allegro up on one corner and windscreen pops out -- Father in Law worked at Austin and had an Ital - Has to be worst car I have ever driven - there is nothing nice about them.

If I was still here in 10 years time I would go for a armoured Humvee - By then you might need it to run over all the plebs that will be about. - Everyone is also assuming there will be fuel for you to put in your cars.

Soldato
I jest not sir! *boxing stance*

You must be as old as me but wearing rose tinted glasses ;) My next door neighbour at my old house was a car dealer and he traded a car for 1300 Vanden Plas but at end of the day it's still a Austin -- No -I could never buy a 60-80s British made car - My 1965 Ford Zodiac Executive was 8 years old when I scrapped it with massive body rot. My present focus is now 8 years old and still in one piece. Each to their own I suppose. :rolleyes:

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
We're at 7 and a half years with our E91 330i series estate.
Every so often, we'll go have a look at something that might be interesting, and simply never come away that impressed.
Sure, the fuel consumption of our car is pretty abysmal (though still massively better than say an E63), and the ICE is pretty ancient. For all that, the sports seats are still more comfortable than most (only car that I thought was noticeably better was a new 5 series). A number of cars have more "bling", yet don't really make me think they're a real improvement.
As we've avoided a diesel and/or a turbo, it's a relatively simple, unstressed, lovely smooth 6. If wafts well and makes a lovely sound with it.
Lastly, it's probably only depreciated £5k since we bought it, so total cost of ownership has been fairly low.

Do we win?

Man of Honour
Golf GTI or Golf R

I appreciate it's not as exciting as some of the cars mentioned here. But I've live my life out of warm Golf's over the years. I've even moved house in them a couple of times. Yet they are decent enough to enjoy driving spiritedly. I'll probably always have something similar in my life because they are so useful.

Man of Honour
1986 (or earlier) Ford Sierra Ghia 4x4 estate with 30:70 F:R split, Honda F20C engine, adjustable platform coilovers, plus some other stuff. Suit me down to the ground. No I am not joking :p

Soldato
G31 530i Touring.

Whilst the E63 S would be the ultimate wagon, I think the cost of running it in 10 years time will be cripplingly expensive.

Soldato
W124 Merc wagon. Either diesel or petrol. Old man ran one for just over 10years. Didn’t put a foot wrong and we did a whole house move using that car. Ok it’s ancient but for the ultimate work horse I think it’s a bloody brilliant car.

Back
Top Bottom