one or two rads?

Associate
Hi all,

So I currently have my 10900k under water using an ekwb PE 360 Rad.. However I would like to add a 3080 to the loop (when able) would the one rad be enough or should I add another?

If I need another ill need to buy a new case, I'm also not sure what order to have the flow in if only one rad CPU or GPU first? obviously if I have two it Id have one between the CPU and GPU..

Thanks!

Soldato
2 rads for sure, i get almost a 10 degree drop with a 2nd 360 in there for the cpu loop. With a 3080 in there as well it will help significantly.

Associate
OP
Thanks! my next question is about fans.. both my pump and fans are currently plugged into the two CPU fan headers on my motherboard would you have any idea of where to plug the fans in for the second rad? Sorry if this is a stupid question!

Associate
what's your mobo. You can also use a fan hub and plug the hub into your mobo cpu fan header to control all the rad fans that way too. Or you can put the other rad fans on aa different header and configure it to a fan curve when the temps go up on your cpu.

Associate
OP
I have a ASUS ROG Maximus xii formula.. So my fans are in the CPU Fan and my pump in CPU_OPT I'm assuming I can put the other fans into the CPU_OPT and move the pump to W_pump+ but would that have a negative effect on the pump running at 100% all the time?

Associate
I think the cpu and cpu opt are slaved so setting fans one will be mirrored in the other. What pump do you have, I normally run my d5 pump at 80% max, normally I set and leave it at around 40%. you should be able to set the pump speed up either manually on the bottom of your pump, or via the bios, you can also do it via Asus AI suite

Edit: I wouldn't run a pump at 100% unless it's needed, for the sake of lower noise, and longer performance and reliability of the pump

Associate
Ok I am not sure if you can pwm control your DDC pump as I have no experience with them, But your mobo allows you to change the rpm on your pump, but you need to go into your BIOS, go to monitor, and scroll down and unlock the W_Pump option AND the AIO_ Pump even if you do not have one plugged in , then you can set your W-Pump rpm. It's a messed up Bios setting. I am running the Maximus XII Hero

Associate
OP
Thanks for all your advice just out of curiosity how many 120mm fans can be ran from one CPU_FAN Header? Could I plugh a fan controller into that header and have that header control the speed? Sorry I'm very new to all this..

Associate
depends on the draw from your fans, you will need to check your mobo manual, but I think you have 1Amp rating on the header, and then check the draw rating on your fans, just remember when you start the system your fans will ramp to 100% and can draw more power. So be careful you don't burnout the header, fan controller hubs usually have sockets for multiple fans, and a power in socket to power them all, then they have a lead that plugs into your mobo header. look around, Phanteks do one, but tbh one of the best by popular consensus seems to be OCTO fan controller by Aquacomputer, as it comes with software, and extra headers for temp and flow sensors and even 2 rgb headers

Associate
It's an option, depends on how many fans you going have plugged in, I have 8 fans per radiator, and x2 rads, so my needs are very different to yours

Associate
OP
Hope you don't mind me also asking questions.

I seem to have read somewhere about rads and fans blowing into the case, there fore drawing cooler air across the matrix.

is there a right and wrong way

I currently have one Rad at the top of My case blowing out but I'm planning on having a bottom Rad as an intake and top as an exhaust with a couple of case intake fans too

Back
Top Bottom