Online Fish

Soldato
OP
The quality and cost of fish in this country is awful.

No, to answer your question.
That's why I'm struggling, the best I regularly get is Loch Duart salmon £24.95 per 1.2kg+ filleted side.

Last year I'd have just gone to the market but that's not happening this year.
I'd like to eat much more fish but the cost for anything decent is just silly.

Soldato
Speaking of being an island, why is seaweed such a rare specialty item over here? I've been to landlocked European countries where you can get fresh stuff out of bog standard supermarket delis.

Soldato
Agreed. There's something very wrong with the economy for fish, considering we're an island...

Completely agree, it's really strange, its like where I live we used to have a fishmongers, but they shut down many years ago and we don't have a single fishmongers in town. Instead it seems in many places to get fish locally now, its either a pop up van or the rubbish selection from the supermarket.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Fishbox was the best effort i could find.

But everyone is spot on about the quality vs price.

The only decent thing of any value is mussels and even then then they are half the size of the stuff we ship to the EU.

Soldato
So far I like the look of this place, more choice than most at decent prices.
yes - looks reasonable - not based in some remote seaside town where 5% of what they sell could have been landed locally.

I'd go frozen at sea option,
I don't believe taste/texture is maintained in frozen mackarel or sardines, need to be really fresh, or, I'll abstain.

There's still hope brexit might restore a supply to the uk if the eu import duty makes exporting prohibitive,
I'm all for ostracizing fisheremen for their throwback abuses, it's a national resource that is abused.

Soldato
google uk fishing towns then search for fish shops in them areas that deliver nationwide.

I just googled "deliver fresh fish to your door uk" and got some hits, so theres some choices there, now just for u to check and check if any reviews or utube vids about em.

Soldato
Sorta disagree.

Problem is fish is a highly perishable product so the price has to reflect that. More people need to eat quality fish.
I guess it's a bit chicken and egg. Until more people eat fish the price won't come down.

But, honest question.. is fish more perishable than say beef? :confused:

Back
Top Bottom