Online Fish

Associate
My feeling is that if people bought more fish then prices would fall because the wastage wouldn't need to be factored into the price & a reasonable living could be spread over a lager amount of sales thus lowering the price.

With regards the beef..... I recently bought a 21 day aged steak. Hang a fish in your kitchen for 21 days and see what happens! I give you 2 days

Yes fish will last longer if you freeze it but for some reason the vast majority of the frozen fish is the rubbish no other country wanted and so it get sold as low price (and low quality)

Soldato
My feeling is that if people bought more fish then prices would fall because the wastage wouldn't need to be factored into the price & a reasonable living could be spread over a lager amount of sales thus lowering the price.

With regards the beef..... I recently bought a 21 day aged steak. Hang a fish in your kitchen for 21 days and see what happens! I give you 2 days

Yes fish will last longer if you freeze it but for some reason the vast majority of the frozen fish is the rubbish no other country wanted and so it get sold as low price (and low quality)

If you smoke fish dont they last quite awhile tho?

Associate
Yes, but you only get a good product if A. You use a quality fish yo start with and B. Its properly smoked. Adhering to the above principles produces an expensive product.

Associate
Funny. Some fish sticks and scampi from farmfoods as well. Lol

Going to try this place when I have some room on the freezer. Seems to have plenty of choice and decent prices.

https://bradleysfish.com/

Lol. I know it isn't really what this thread is about but the tinned mackerel really is nice.

I used to eat the fresh packs of it till I found out the tinned is cheaper and way tastier

Soldato
OP
Lol. I know it isn't really what this thread is about but the tinned mackerel really is nice.

I used to eat the fresh packs of it till I found out the tinned is cheaper and way tastier
Yeah not what in after, I do agree with you though. I eat a fair bit of tinned fish, mackerel, sild, tuna, salmon and sardines. Handy to have in.

Associate
Yeah not what in after, I do agree with you though. I eat a fair bit of tinned fish, mackerel, sild, tuna, salmon and sardines. Handy to have in.
Yup

Although I find it rather addictive and have been know to get through five or six tins in a day :eek: Thats not good for someone like me who is prone to putting on a pound or two considering they have almost 20 grams of fat per tin

Associate
I would have thought with Brexit and the difficultly of selling fish/shell fish into Europe they'd be a fishy Brexit divided..... apparently not judging by prices on Saturday!

Soldato
umgh free delivery in glasgow! over £25 , but haddock @£13/kg is reasonable'ish
- having frozen fish delivered is really more practical, it had probably been frozen anyway, and if you are buying sufficient to offset shipping cost, you'll need to freeze some.

But, yes, inteverview with fraiserborough fishermen on r4 this am .. we haven't take boats out since january and, covid, last year 40K tonnes versus 19 in previous year.
British fish for British mouths ? ... need to start a campaign.

Soldato
Slight thread narco but we’ve finally found a good quality online seafood place, even meets my Taiwanese wife’s approval which is going some https://fishplaice.com/

for what it’s worth, I used to go to this place (in person, in real life) regularly and quality/service was great. You’d be surprised at their location, it’s down an alleyway under a bridge in a less than inviting area of Glasgow but the fish is great and they’d always be happy to try and get something special in.

Soldato
umgh free delivery in glasgow! over £25 , but haddock @£13/kg is reasonable'ish
- having frozen fish delivered is really more practical, it had probably been frozen anyway, and if you are buying sufficient to offset shipping cost, you'll need to freeze some.

But, yes, inteverview with fraiserborough fishermen on r4 this am .. we haven't take boats out since january and, covid, last year 40K tonnes versus 19 in previous year.
British fish for British mouths ? ... need to start a campaign.

It depends on what your standards are, my wife coming from Taiwan has very high standards to the point she'd rather go without than have the tasteless fish readily available in the UK in comparison. Me? I can't tell the difference :p

Thought it was worth posting the place in here as its made my Mrs and her Taiwanese friends living in the UK very happy.

Soldato
If you can afford small quantities, then yes you'll benefit from its freshness, I'd need to buy several kilos to offset the P&P and then freeze some.

I thought big trawlers prepare and flash freeze fish at sea (well they have to as they are away weeks) so that is a second best,
that only works for some varieties though, eg. I wouldn't want a previously frozen mackerel.

With fresh suppliers I would be happy if they just sent fish of the day , and you adjust your menu if needed, if they told you when it had been caught that would be a bonus

Soldato
If you can afford small quantities, then yes you'll benefit from its freshness, I'd need to buy several kilos to offset the P&P and then freeze some.

I thought big trawlers prepare and flash freeze fish at sea (well they have to as they are away weeks) so that is a second best,
that only works for some varieties though, eg. I wouldn't want a previously frozen mackerel.

With fresh suppliers I would be happy if they just sent fish of the day , and you adjust your menu if needed, if they told you when it had been caught that would be a bonus

I hate to break it to you but fresh Mackerel is still effectively ex-frozen. The boats go out for 48 hours and the fresh mackerel are layered in ice. They are so thin they freeze and that's what keeps them "fresh".

Soldato
The only way to eat Mackerel is straight from the sea. Easy to catch down here in summer, bring them in whack on the head and gut them. Split open down the length and griddle on the BBQ. Heaven.

Back
Top Bottom