1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Online FPS with bases

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by Glaucus, 21 Oct 2009.

1. Glaucus

Man of Honour

Is there anything that resembles C&C renegade (one of my all time favourite games).

Getting bored of the real life fps. which are just TD or FFA.
    Is there any where the main aim is to blow up the others base either with tanks/rockets and/or c4, where the maps are more or less symmetrical.
    And unless you wanted to camp and just get a high kill ratio, you actually had to cooperate to achieve the main aim.

2. Makhaira

Mobster

Battlezone 1 and 2 if you want to go retro, they're great games but never really took off unfortunately.

3. McGray

Soldato

I've been getting into UT3 a bit more recently. The Warfare game mode might interest you....

4. Geckovich

Wise Guy

Tf2?

With regards to blowing up bases then try to find a review of the new Red faction multiplayer. I played the singleplayer at a friend's house and if there isn't a base destruction mode for multiplayer then that's criminal.

5. Mahnsikir

Wise Guy

Renegade X had its first public release last month, is a C&C Renegade mod/tc for UT3. Seems to be shaping up pretty well.

6. Glaucus

Man of Honour

Man I want... Many players about?

7. Arjun806

Wise Guy

This sounds interesting, Renegade was my first online game and I loved it. If this mod is any good and fairly popular I may have to get UT3 for it o.O

8. Glaucus

Man of Honour

I',m getting it, sign upto the forums and browse some of the game videos.

Renegade was so underrated, due to single player. But it is a brilliant Multiplayer. Simple, extremely fun and balanced.

Now pay £13 for UT3 on steam for instant access or £7 on xxxxxx and wait probably 7days plus. Choices choices.

9. Mahnsikir

Wise Guy

Cant say about the player base havn't had a chance to play it myself, only heard good comments from people I know.

10. toxicredcat

Gangster

Red Faction: Guerilla Warfare?

One of the online modes is to destroy the enemies base. Another is to destroy the enemy control points and rebuild them as your own, similar to capture the flag.

11. Mahnsikir

Wise Guy

Decided to install Renegade-X and load it up, only two servers with people on them and only one with a decent number of players. But it is the middle of the day and hopefully it'll get more popular with future releases.

12. Glaucus

Man of Honour

Yeah it's still beta, so not surprising. As long as there is one busy server then all is good.

13. drunkenmaster

Caporegime

Renegade multiplayer was awesome, its been so long I can't quite remember but I'm fairly sure I got bored of it when Orca's were introduced, as awesome as they were too many maps/games became sniper vs orca, because orca's could kill anything and could move to easily from tank fire, but two sniper shots and they were down.

Some awesome maps, and the fact it was C&C and after years of C&C games everyone loved you could go inside powerstations and blow them up, or repair them, it was just awesome. I didn't mind repairing a tank either as it ploughed through the enemy, as you said because of the goal of base destroying, and repairing you really had to help each other to win.

The single player was incredibly basic in nature, but it was still fairly awesome the first time running around, some of the levels were even quite good with decent design and fun fights.

I'd kill for a new full Renegade type game(MP but a SP would be fun aswell), might check out the mod at some point aswell, hopefully will gain some momentum as it approaches a final version and loads of people play it.

14. Rroff

Man of Honour

Renegade was a great laugh... unfortunatly tho when I played it - it was extremely laggy - most players just ran off and did their own thing - and way too many bugs... which turned a lot of people off.

I used to hang out on the renegade channel on dynamix IRC back in the day.

Only games I can think of are older ones - starseige (the mech one), tribes, citizen kabuto.

15. Glaucus

Man of Honour

only on n00b servers. Orcas could be taken out fairly easily with many things, including tanks.

16. Shmo

Hitman

Savage 2 is like that. Shame it wasn't much good.

17. firthy15

Wise Guy

Sacrilege! Savage 2 is the perfect FPS / RPG, base destroying type game .. thing

It is bloody superb though :)

18. iviv

Soldato

And for an alternative suggestion, Planetside.

Not exactly what you're looking for, as its based on huge continents, not small symmetrical maps, but there's loads of bases you have to capture over the continents, a variety of tanks and weapons to play with. Only problem is the monthly fee, but its worth it.

19. Arjun806

Wise Guy

Get it on Steam so you can try it asap and let us know how good it is ;)

20. Glaucus

Man of Honour

Just checked the bank and wont be getting either for 3 weeks.

Stupid w7x3, car tax, keyboard and two nights on the lash else where in the country

Last edited: 21 Oct 2009