Online Gaming Addiction

Soldato
OP
I just realised i do this at work when someone says something funny. I just say "lol" with a straight face ><

i do the exact same to my friends :p, i also say Fail aswell to my friends, they just look at me and say what, if they say a joke i sometimes just go LoL, instead of laughing :D, its a habbit of typing it too much i guess

Soldato
One of the arguments they had was,

People play football because they enjoy it, people watch tv because they enjoy it, people play chess because they enjoy it, peopel play online games because they enjoy it....so what makes them different to anyone else just because they enjoy gaming, there gamers, and thats what they do, and if they enjoy it and if there living who gives anyone the rights to say its wrong

exactly, if you are aving fun what is the problem?

It's just the huge void in your life it causes when you quit. I felt like I had so much free time when I quite Lineage2, didn't know what to do, but this is life, you get into things, you get bored of things, you have to move on. Weather it is finding a new hobby or starting another MMO.

Bascially there are much bigger problems in the world. people who "care" are either the Chinese government looking to control their peoples minds or people out to make a profit from rehab centres. If people honestly gave a **** about humanity they would worry about the other billions of more serious problems in the world.

Soldato
i do the exact same to my friends :p, i also say Fail aswell to my friends, they just look at me and say what, if they say a joke i sometimes just go LoL, instead of laughing :D, its a habbit of typing it too much i guess

I've got my mum saying fail and she doesn't have anything to do with online games/forums. :D

Soldato
OP
its a interesting thing when you wonder what it wil be like in 10, 20, 30 years time too, would we be upto 100million online gamers ? 200million ? or would it of come rite down, who knows, the growth of online gaming per year is bigger than anything, its a scary prospect in a way, everythings done with the internet these days, and the things you do over the internet is growing per year to, when will it stop ?

i tell you one thing, there was even a couple that had a interactive marriage, is this the path were going down :o

Associate
Constant online gaming, to the extent of neglecting friends and rejecting them to play online is not healthy at all. There is no physical social interaction, no physical activity and hardly challenges the mind (unlike SOME chess games and playing football requires constant alertness if you want to be any good) My only experience is WOW so I cannot say for other MMO's where they might be more challenging. Also, compared to football or Chess, their far more distracting. Do you think that someone who plays football or chess ignores schoolwork/work because their minds are wandering onto their sport? From time to time, maybe. But not as much as online gaming as it's so immersive and creative.

That's just my theory. I'm just not a fat of it and seen it destroy some people. I'm glad I got out of it, I would always know that playing it that much was wrong, but I just kept playing because of the people on there. Then I just..grew up I suppose.

Soldato
Well the documentary did make me feel uneasy when it pointed out how people prefer virtual enviroments to real life. Once virtual reality is perfected to the point of holodecks will humanity destroy itself?
Its geeky i know but theres an early voyager episode which covers that topic, the guy created the voyager crew and grew so attatched hed spend all of his time in there.

Back
Top Bottom