Online Safety Razor Retailer

Associate
sorry to hijack this but, would this set up be better for me, i dont have to shave everyday yet as im still young lol. but i find that my mack 3 or others that i have leave some random stubble at times and dont get close enough, and the blads are expensive to.

Man of Honour
hargi said:
sorry to hijack this but, would this set up be better for me, i dont have to shave everyday yet as im still young lol. but i find that my mack 3 or others that i have leave some random stubble at times and dont get close enough, and the blads are expensive to.
Yes. You will get a much closer shave and you will also save a fortune in blades in the long run. It takes a bit more time and care to shave and you can't just run it over your face like a Mach 3 but the rewards are worth it.

Associate
cheers scuzzi look like im going to order that set up to, they dont have any brushes in at the moment :(
i have a babyface too

Man of Honour
mulpsmebeauty said:
How long does that 100g pot of shaving soap last? I normally find I whip through a can of shave gel in not many shaves at all.

EDIT for clarity, this one: http://www.gentlemans-shop.com/acatalog/sandalwood_shaving_soap_2.html#a113
That's the one I have. I have had about 10 shaves out of it and it still has at least the same again left in it if not more. It should last a couple of months. The refills only cost about a fiver anyway.

Soldato
The stuff Scuzi recommends is all good stuff. I wouldn't ever go back to a multiblade razor, the merkur is a better shave and so cheap. One thing you might want to pick up is some kind of aftershave balm. Personally I've not found anything better than Nickel Contre-Feu but it's fairly expensive at about 19quid a tube, but you can get it at larger boots stores or online at various places

http://www.boots.com/shop/product_details.jsp?productid=1084243&classificationid=1010249

One thing I would recommend for a novice is to have a look at the following guys videos on youtube. He takes you through all the basics of shaving with a safety razor and some more advanced stuff as well:

http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=mantic59&p=r

(the videos on the second page are the best place to start.)

Soldato
Puts my £4.99 for 20 bic razors from tesoc's to shame. Then again i shave dry, no water no foam, and i have a beard so that helps lol.. just the bit under my lip and the cheeks get done.

But, as im thinking of shaving it off for charity again, that kit you listed sure looks fine...

ColiN - bearded man, for now :)

Soldato
hmmm.

I get terrible shaving burn at times and nowt I have found has sorted it for me.
I might give this a try but its seems quite expensive initially.

Associate
just ordered the razor, soap and blades that you recomennded scuzzi,
Had to get the brushfrom another site, with a alum stick.
looking forward to it, arriving.
would i use my shaving oil underneith the soap lather?

need some nice but cheep aftershave balm

Soldato
OP
hargi said:
just ordered the razor, soap and blades that you recomennded scuzzi,
Had to get the brushfrom another site, with a alum stick.
looking forward to it, arriving.
would i use my shaving oil underneith the soap lather?

need some nice but cheep aftershave balm
They ran out of the brushes quickly! It only came back in stock yesterday when I purchased mine and it's already out of stock again!

Man of Honour
hargi said:
how many shaves do you get from a blade roughly, there cheepenought though, but just interested
I can get around 5 from a blade although I usually change after 2 as I dont shave very often and the blades are cheap as anything, and to the person that mentioned razor burn going to one of these from my mach 3 got rid of mine thats paired with some shaving cream which I find better than the soap and a good brush

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Reppyboyo said:
Thanks good to know.

Whats the difference between the soaps & cream?
The soap is hard almost like a bar of soap. You rub the wet brush into it to create a lather. The cream has the same effect but can produce a better lather. It's a personal preference thing.

I personally load the brush with a soap lather and add some shaving cream to it which then creates a very slick lather :cool:

Associate
This thread has got me interested in these. At the moment I am using a Fusion and have been happy with the results. The trouble is that I use the blades longer than I should as I know they will dent my wallet at £1.50 odd each!

My question is, can you use these double edge shavers with regular shaving foam or do they work a lot better with all of these pre oil and shaving soaps?

Soldato
BUSH said:
I'm sorry but nothing this man says can be trusted. In one of the videos, when talking about what to buy, he says 'a styptic pen probably wouldn't hurt'.

Styptic pens are the spawn of the DEVIL. Can someone please explain what is deemed so fun about them to me?

So, you're bleeding a little bit and it might hurt a tiny bit, you apply the styptic pen to it and 'AHHHHH MY FACE!!!!' (think about the moment out of Home Alone). OK I'm not bleeding any more, but my face is ON FIRE. Half an hour later when your face would normally have stopped hurting and bleeding, having used a styptic pen its not bleeding but still hurting.

Why would anyone do this to themselves - or am I just allergic to styptic pens?

EDIT: and in one of the other videos you can clearly see ceiling cat!

fini

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom