1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

onspeed?

Discussion in 'Windows & Other Software' started by [email protected], 1 Mar 2006.

1. [email protected]

Capodecina

hi i have a mate who lives just outside broadband reach he just surfs net no gamming, have read about this onspeed thingy, always thought it was junk but my nilly newsletter recommends it for dial up users

has anyone used this and would like to share experiences of it plz?

2. Eliot

Soldato

i would also like to know, its is gonna sound stupid and im sure it wont but here goes, can you download faster with it? It is meant to be good mind

3. tolien

Caporegime

It's not going to accelerate your connection beyond what it's capable of - all it's doing is compressing things as much as they can get away with at their end, so it appears faster.

Must be in the middle of nowhere not to be able to get some kind of broadband though :confused:

4. SexyGreyFox

Man of Honour

I read a review that it magically caches the web pages you go to and makes them load faster but it does not increase your download speed.

5. Mikey1280

Wise Guy

If you want to download and cache links in the background while surfing you can use Fasterfox with prefetching enabled, using fasterfox may help with dial up as well.

6. Amp34

Caporegime

Supposedly its pretty good for surfing webpages, but if you want to download files like video then it doesnt make any difference, it also doesnt work on secure pages and arious other things.

7. PinkPig

Mobster

It certainly won't make a jot of difference for downloading files of any sort. For general surfing apparrently it works fairly well over dial-up connections as long as you're not quite believing the "as good as broadband" hype. One maths teacher of mine spent every other lesson telling us about it.

8. AJUK

Man of Honour

A friend has this because he is too tight to get BB; he likes it. I haven't seen it working but it is meant to help browsing but as others have said for downloading will make little difference. You should make sure that his TCP/IP settings are optimized to the max, try this

9. Elston

Hitman

I used it for a year (parents own a farm in the middle of wales, they still cant get broadband!) and i found it made a considerable difference to my general internet browsing. Pages do load alot quicker and you can set the level of image compression to low quality to speed it up more. Afterall this is what really kills 56k connections. As already stated downloads do not change at all, only things done via the browser.

Only annoying thing i found was that as it goes via thier servers you have to set your browser up to go via a proxy and every now and again it would just drop the connection for no reason, you then had to tell it to reconnect or if it still failed you would have change the proxy settings just to be able to continue. Not a hugh problem just annoying really.

10. [email protected]

Capodecina

old newton suffolk, hes just short of getting it

11. tolien

Caporegime

You are aware there's...no limit?